Smooth Camera Zoom to aim animation

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ZDL_800

Smooth Camera Zoom to aim animation

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello and hope everyone is good.

Seems every GZdoom game which implements an aim down sight mechanic has some sort of 20FPS zoom camera animation?

Every weapon looks like it lags out when you aim down the sight, feels like 20FPS when the zoom animation occurs?

Its like the camera zoom animation to aim down sight needs to be synced with the main FPS.

Thanks again and hope to speak soon.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Smooth Camera Zoom to aim animation

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Don't know exactly where you're going with this. Zooming functions have interpolation by default, so this shouldn't be happening.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Don't know exactly where you're going with this. Zooming functions have interpolation by default, so this shouldn't be happening.
Actually, the zoom animation isn't interpolated. It still runs at the tic rate. Try setting a lower timescale and initiating a zoom (step through a teleporter, use the FOV command, or try a zoom-enabled weapon). You will see the zoom applied in steps of 35hz.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Ah, welp.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Thanks for the reply.

So in theory its actually rendering in 35fps which is why it looks laggy so to speak, so could GZDoom edit the zooming mechanic and implement interpolation?

Honestly it looks really bad right now with all mods with zoom to aim which is a shame.

We need Smooth Zoom GZDoom!
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

In this day and age I would consider anything rendered in 35fps a bug, so should I create a new thread in the bug section of GZDoom for the devs to see?

I'm just wondering if the devs even read this suggestion forum? Im not sure, I don't even use any zoom function because it looks so bad.

Now lets say for example, there's a great StarshipTrooper mod which includes a fantastic set of nightvision binoculars which uses this zoom function and it looks awful, the binoculars zoom in really far and rendered in this 35fps which looks like complete lag.

Please fix this devs, it now effecting weapons and items now.

Thanks again for your time and hope to speak soon.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

So far as I'm aware, zooming has never been interpolated, so no, this isn't a bug that requires reporting. It's working as originally implemented and isn't "now effecting weapons and items now" because it's always worked this way, you just only noticed it.

Yes, the developers do read and respond to things on this Feature Suggestions forum, hence all the [Added] or [No] threads in the Closed Feature Suggestions forum.

For what it's worth, I do agree that zooming / FOV changing should be interpolated and I would very much like to see it happen. Please be patient though, because I don't think it's likely to happen this version unless someone submits a pull request with working code. Developers have limited time to work on free projects like GZDoom and need to prioritize their focus. This feature request will likely take a backseat to other important work going on right now, like refactoring menus and whatnot.

8-)
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello and thanks for the reply.

No, I noticed it right away, just never said anything.

The reason why I said it now effects items is because I'm playing a mod that requires the use of a night vision scope in total darkness and it zooms in and looks horrid.

I normally remove the zoom key on all mods because of how bad it looks, but I cant with this one.

Originally I thought it was the mod itself, but after multiple games have zoom features I now noticed they all lag with 30FPS.

30FPS in 2021? Its a slideshow.

May I ask? How do you pull this request? I would like to have a look at the scripts controlling the zoom function.

Thanks again.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”