Help with setting defaults for new mouse code

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Help with setting defaults for new mouse code

Post by Graf Zahl »

Over the last few days I did some cleanup of the mouse code, mainly removing some magic scaling factors from the backend that were different between platform, with Windows raw mouse input being an extreme outlier from the others.
Don't worry, there's migration code in place that converts old configs to the new settings.
The main problem we are facing now is to set up a reasonable default for fresh configs but with the highly divergent defaults right now that's not easy without getting more information.

So, I would like to ask as many people as possible to do a quick test run with the most recent devbuild, preferably in a way that does not overwrite your old config.
What I'd like to know is the values you get after the transition for the vertical/horizontal sensitivity and for turn/mouselook speed, factoring all your customizations. If you feel that your defaults do not feel right, please play around with these values until you get something that works.

Please list this, along with your OS and the mouse you are using. From the 4 samples we got so far, no good default can be derived because they simply are far too different. Remember: The more info we get, the more likely it is to set up good defaults for newly created configs.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Help with setting defaults for new mouse code

Post by Player701 »

This is what I get in g4.5pre-205 with my previous config file. Feels mostly the same as before (maybe even exactly the same, but it's hard to tell).

Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 710 @ 1800 dpi

Or should I test the default values too (without an existing config file)?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It should feel as before - those vaiues say you played with prescale on and 1.5 overall sensitivity, no other changes being made.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

After some tuning, this is where I ended up with what I liked myself. I'm on the edge about the x/horizontal sensitivity and whether I just want it at 2.5 or not.
GZDoom.PNG
Console.PNG
Console.PNG (14.4 KiB) Viewed 9095 times
Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

The new defaults are mostly acceptable for me, horizontal movement is just a bit faster than I would like, whereas vertical movement is actually too fast for precision aiming.

I prefer my mouse movement slower in general, makes aiming easier that way, but with the current defaults aren't too bad. I always set my mouse to the lowest DPI it allows, which is 800, I believe. The old defaults were almost spot on for me though, the only settings I used to adjust was the overall sensivity (an increase by 0.2) and of course, set strafing and forward/backward speed to 0, and turned prescaling off. With the new defaults, after some tinkering I've concluded these are the ideal values for me:
Attachments
fgfgf.png
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Interestingly you use the 3:2 ratio that was present in the Linux backend and whose removal caused all the hubbub. But considering what you said about your old settings, they'd mean 1.2 for both sensitivity sliders so your final outcome deviates a bit from it.

For the record I post my config as well:

Both horizontal and vertical sensitivity set to 1.7, not altering any of the speed sliders - I got the game set up so that they do not really matter as I play without the strafe toggle.
In the old setup that maps to prescaling off and sensitivity set to 1.7.

That means we got 4 opinions so far with *VERY* different preferences.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Feels slightly slower than before, which throws me off a bit (I was fairly consistently turning just short of being on target) but it's just a matter of getting used to it (or increasing sensitivity again).

Debian and (wired) Kensington Expert Mouse.
Attachments
mousesettings.jpeg
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It shouldn't feel slower, the values getting through after converting a config should be the same as before. You had prescale on and a sensitivity of 1.6 with the old setup, right?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Here's my info:

Code: Select all

Windows
*old cvars:
m_yaw=1
m_pitch=1.5000001192092896
mouse_sensitivity=0.5
in_mouse=3
*new cvars:
m_sensitivity_x=2
m_sensitivity_y=0.5
Vendor ID of the mouse:
HID\VID_1BCF&PID_0005&REV_0014

It's a Tecknet with the SKU "UM013"
Nash

Post by Nash »

I have always played with the default mouse sensitivity that every version of ZDoom and GZDoom ships with, on top of all the other default mouse settings (default prescale, no smoothing, etc). In other words, I literally never touch any of the program's mouse settings, EVER.

Went through all kinds of mice throughout the years. Never had to adjust anything.

After the migration, I feel no difference. It's set mine to 4.0 and 1.0 (X, Y).

Currently using a Logitech G102. Windows 10 Pro 1903.
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Graf Zahl wrote:It shouldn't feel slower, the values getting through after converting a config should be the same as before. You had prescale on and a sensitivity of 1.6 with the old setup, right?
It was such a subjective change that thinking back on it I'm not sure if it was me being primed to notice a difference and finding what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I have not noticed anything that appears to present itself as a problem or inconsistency.

I have no recollection about prescale but the 1.6 sounds familiar enough.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Spoiler: Old config
Spoiler: New config
With everything set to 1.0 after the update, vertical speed is way too fast while horizontal speed is really slow. Too slow for me at least. For comparison, vertical speed is around 3x the horizontal. The settings in the new config is what approximately feels like the old one.

Win 10, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, DPI set to 1250 in the Logitech Gaming Software with polling rate set to 1000 reports per second.

EDIT: Was GZDoom supposed to auto-adjust my settings? Reading the previous posts, I'm getting the strange feeling I missed a step here.
SanyaWaffles
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I've never really bother changing it with my mouse which has a high DPI rate.

I'm glad you're taking samples though.
Accensus wrote:EDIT: Was GZDoom supposed to auto-adjust my settings? Reading the previous posts, I'm getting the strange feeling I missed a step here.
I think it will, according to the initial post.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Old build taken from g4.5pre-131 with my original config.
Old build taken from g4.5pre-131 with my original config.
Same config with g4.5-pre209.
Same config with g4.5-pre209.
Don't feel anything wrong at all, or just I didn't realized any minor differences.

Win7 64bits SP1
Logitech M185 wireless mouse.
(Well, I haven't changed my setting for ages and even with my older cheaper generic mouses...okay the Logitech M185 also cheap too.)
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

GZDoom Mouse Settings.png
Windows 10 Home
Logitech G403 Hero 1600 dpi

Return to “Developer Blog”