Altair is a new source port, created by csnxs, the alias of Sean Baggaley. Altair includes various bits from Boom together with a Quake like console, Chex Quest support and much, much more.
Features at a glance:
- Quake-like console
- High resolution support
- Various Boom features (Patch translation, Scrolling floors, sector friction and sector pushers, Fake sector support)
- Hexen-like jumping support
- New IWAD detector
- Uses FMOD Studio as sound system instead of MIDAS
- Uses SDL (with OpenGL) as video backend
- DirectX9 based video backend for software renderer
- Uses a new demo format
- Support for Chex Quest
- Vertical looking, from Heretic
- Mouselook support
- Rewritten cheats code
- Can run on Windows and Linux
- Latest version available: 1.01a, 32 bit
- Source code
- Directory with additional files
- Settings page
- Github page
- It is difficult to determine which source code it is based from. I initially assumed Linux Doom, but the sound system is MIDAS - Used in very old versions of ZDoom. There is however not a trace of reference in the source code detailing it is derived from ZDoom. It does pull quite a bit of code from Quake 2, however.
- I've tested the port out, and its surprisingly smooth and solid using the DX9 software (shader based) backend on my infamously lame rig. At highest resolutions, i was definitely at 60 fps.