Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Post by NightFright »

A 1:1 translation for Duke3D ports certainly won't be possible and also wouldn't make sense. Having something like this for Raze later on might still prove useful, even as a separate project. Suggested name btw: "Duke Runner" (obviously) 😆...
EddCase
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by EddCase »

Like i said it works very well already for Raze if you look at the image I posted all of the Build engine games work when launched through Doom Runner with the"WADS" being replaced by the GRP or RFF file respectively the only one that requires anything in addition is to get the Blood expansion Crypt of Despair working you have to add -ini cryptic.ini to the additional command line arguments which is why it would be nice for the additional command line options to be assigned to profiles rather than globally.

The code to launch the games with Doom Runner and Raze dosn't actually need any modification just if you wanted to support launching games with Raze a couple of changes like the additional command line being part of the profile and possibly adding the option to show GRP and RFF extensions along with the WAD, PK3, ZIP to make it easier to find the correct files

Raze is being programmed by the Main Dev of GZDoom and uses its backend and a lot of its control code if you want more info you can see the announcement thread here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67139

to run Duke Nukem 3D is
"Engines/Raze/raze.exe" -iwad "Wads/Duke Nukem 3D/Atomic Edition/DUKE3D.GRP"

to run with the Nuclear Winter expansion its
"Engines/Raze/raze.exe" -iwad "Wads/Duke Nukem 3D/Atomic Edition/DUKE3D.GRP" -file "Wads/Duke Nukem 3D/Duke Nuclear Winter/nwinter.grp"

One Whole Unit Blood its
"Engines/Raze/raze.exe" -config "Engines/Raze/raze-Edd.ini" -iwad "Wads/Blood/BLOOD.RFF"

for Blood: Crypt of Despair its
"Engines/Raze/raze.exe" -config "Engines/Raze/raze-Edd.ini" -iwad "Wads/Blood/BLOOD.RFF" -ini cryptic.ini
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

Thank you for creating this launcher. It has now totally replaced ZDL as my daily driver.

I do have one request, if you're interested. Would it be possible to add radio buttons/tick boxes for NO SOUND and NO MUSIC cvars? Ideally, I'd shorten the "Addition Command Line Arguments box and place the tick boxes to the right of it.

Regardless, thanks again.
youda008

Post by youda008 »

Hi. I will think about it. Adding a checkbox/combobox is not a problem. But i want to keep it somehow logically organized, so i have to think about its position.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

You are the man, man.
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

Thanks for taking it under consideration. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Just gave this a spin - this is promising. :) I am currently using ZDoom Executor and there are a few things that ZDE does right... I have made some improvement suggestions for Doom Runner on the Github Issues tab. Keep up the good work!
youda008

Post by youda008 »

Thank you, i hope i will find some time to work on it during Easter holidays.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Praise the Lord! The highres Doomguy has spoken!
Nash

Post by Nash »

There's no rush, take all the time you need. :) I am willing to switch to Doom Runner permanently if all of the conveniences of ZDE are brought over to DR. :D
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

I've a strange issue with Doom 64 EX. The game loads fine using DoomRunner but there's no sound. If I run D64 EX from its own launcher the sound is there so I don't think it's the game itself. Any suggestions?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Doom64 EX launcher may add an additional launch parameter that isn't automatically added when using other launchers. If that's the case, I wouldn't have the slightest clue which parameter that could be, though. It should also be checked how the game behaves when using other launchers.
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

So, I checked out D64 EX through ZDL, Doom Launcher and Doom Explorer and the game ran fine and sound played as normal. I tried Doom Runner again just in case but sadly it still didn't play sound. It's quite perplexing.
youda008

Post by youda008 »

You mean that DoomRunner is the only launcher out of many, with which the sound doesn't play?
I've never tried Doom64, this was primarily for ZDoom-like engines, Doom64 might have some specific requirements. I will look into it later.
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

Yeah, that's right. I just presumed D64 EX would load just the same (same command line arguments etc) but perhaps I'm wrong - it wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks for looking into it. :)

Return to “Launchers”