How to play Duke Nuken 3D: World Tour in Raze

Post your tutorials here to help fellow Raze users get the most out of modding and using Raze!

Moderator: Raze Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: How to play Duke Nuken 3D: World Tour in Raze

Post by Graf Zahl »

Me neither. Before I have to make a deal with the devil, I'd rather pass on support for this episode.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Better question: how to play Duke Nukem 3D: Total Meltdown in Raze. :p

What? It has its own bonus episode, too.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

GrpSmoosh: Compile DN:AA, DC, Vacation, NW, WT, and TM in a single Grp file :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Rachael wrote:GrpSmoosh: Compile DN:AA, DC, Vacation, NW, WT, and TM in a single Grp file :P
Don't forget Penthouse Paradise! :P
Diabolución

Post by Diabolución »

And that seedy exclusive level of the Sega Saturn port, Urea 51. Both Betray and Sewers seem masterpieces in comparison.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

Saturn Duke is not Build though :P although I know a mapper (Zykov Eddy) has recreated the level for PC Duke3D.
markanini

Post by markanini »

Still very much looking for transcripts of past negotiations. If the community is as large as I think it is surely among it's ranks we can find people with knowledge about code, law, business and persuasion who are are determined to work toward a big win. For many reasons this is not something suitable for discussion on a public forum. My Inbox is open If you are curious to follow further developments.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf was right calling it a deal with the devil. But hey, it's your soul.

I guess there would be some benefit to the community if this were to really happen - but I want no part in it.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Redneckerz wrote:
markanini wrote: Gearbox wants money. And Gearbox has Randy Pitchford. That's all you need to know. There is no navigation needed. Trust me, if that was a possibility, then Frederik Schreiber would have been succesfull in getting DNF 2001 out in the open. And TerminX would be saved a lot of trouble, too.
DNF2001 has additional complications in that Take-Two has some degree of ownership of that specific game as the publisher.

The TerminX bit is worth pointing out. Considering his involvement entanglement in the whole World Tour situation, the fact that the EDuke32 devs are resorting to reverse-engineering rather than arranging a more formal co-operation effort should tell you a thing or two about how likely it is that such a thing can be organised.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

So, in other words, or Duke's words rather, "Rest in pieces", source code.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

markanini wrote:Still very much looking for transcripts of past negotiations. If the community is as large as I think it is surely among it's ranks we can find people with knowledge about code, law, business and persuasion who are are determined to work toward a big win.
Don't quote me on it but i did see someone at Duke4 presenting himself as a lawyer.
As for the bolded: It legit baffles me that aside everyone that told you how improbable this exploration is (Because they have explored it prior), you still are fully convinced of a succesfull endeavour, simply by playing a hardliner approach.

To that i say good luck, but trying to establish a deal with the devil is a bad omen all around. If you do wish to pursue this, atleast take note of previous attempts and moreover, where they failed to succeed. You will find that the devil is not to be trusted, even when playing hard to get.
Kinsie wrote:DNF2001 has additional complications in that Take-Two has some degree of ownership of that specific game as the publisher.

The TerminX bit is worth pointing out. Considering his involvement entanglement in the whole World Tour situation, the fact that the EDuke32 devs are resorting to reverse-engineering rather than arranging a more formal co-operation effort should tell you a thing or two about how likely it is that such a thing can be organised.
I'd wager Take Two is at the very least slightly more approachable. But indeed.

As for the second part: Precisely. The improbability of working not only with GBX, but by default with Pitchford is virtually non-existent. There is a reason why everyone that has attempted to do so ultimately decided to go a different (and more time consuming) way.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Rachael wrote:GrpSmoosh: Compile DN:AA, DC, Vacation, NW, WT, and TM in a single Grp file :P
Well...unless Raze has a way to solve CON and ART conflicts then it's like mission impossible...it's not totally impossible but since they shared a lot of the same things it would be a lot of works...

It's just like try put some ZDooM gameplay and TC mods together... :3:
Redneckerz wrote: Don't quote me on it but i did see someone at Duke4 presenting himself as a lawyer.
Duke4.net's site admin also founder, yatta is lawyer but not sure this part is his specialized subject...
Gez

Post by Gez »

PlayerLin wrote:
Well...unless Raze has a way to solve CON and ART conflicts then it's like mission impossible...it's not totally impossible but since they shared a lot of the same things it would be a lot of works...
The "Smoosh approach" is to solve conflicts by duplicating the conflicting resources and editing maps to use the new values. So it wouldn't be entirely impossible, but there would be a lot of preliminary work to find and document all the conflicts so as to solve them. That can be partly automated.

I'm also thinking of how ECWolf works to give Doom-style names to nameless resources, with custom mapping both for loading resources and for loading maps. An approach like this could be used to work around Build's limits, perhaps. But that's a long-term prospect.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

PlayerLin wrote:
I think if you were to do that, you'd have to have some way to override ART and CON files on a per-episode basis.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

There already is the per-map art file feature. This could be extended to use lists instead of specially named files.
For CON that won't work because scripts are a globally compiled resource.
I know Rachael's remark wasn't fully serious but this would really be somewhat comparable to merging a mod like Hell To Pay into WadSmoosh without the ability to redefine the sprite replacements with DECORATE or ZScript and alter the maps to match the new numbers

Return to “Tutorials (Build)”