Raze - An Introduction

Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Raze - An Introduction

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:I'm quite sure that some of these won't work, but getting some feedback on AMC would really be great.
WGRealms is another i forgot to mention. WilliamGee is releasing a 2020 version soon, so that too will be a good user case.

Im glad to have played a small part today for this release. :oops:
Sangman

Post by Sangman »

Our current AMC TC dev build does not work with Raze, we have a "scriptsize" operator in CON which currently does not seem to be supported.
There might be other things missing but that's the first error I get now.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Redneckerz wrote:Some big TC's worth testing:
- AMC TC
- Imagination World 1 and 2 (The latter had an updated exe to modern systems)
- Everything from the TC list here: https://msdn.duke4.net/tcrev.php

And about this compilation, will it also work?

EDuke32 Addon Compilation v3.13 by NightFright

http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

https://mega.nz/#!sIQyiDhD!aXKHXsx4GU_C ... OhcMh7OxV0
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

I've tested a handful of mods from NightFright's compilation and most should work fine, however it should be noted that it requires an older build of eduke32 so some of said mods actually do not even work correctly in the latest eduke32. Grins of Divinity is one I've tried and the ladder sprites are broken. On the other hand, It's Zero Hour, Complex and Duke Hard seem to work just fine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Dynamo wrote:Grins of Divinity is one I've tried and the ladder sprites are broken.
I've heard about some ladder issues myself. It'd be great if we could track down the commit that broke them and add a compatibility option.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Graf Zahl wrote:I've heard about some ladder issues myself. It'd be great if we could track down the commit that broke them and add a compatibility option.
As I understand it, the "sprite ladder" trick relied on some oddities of the old Duke3D clipping system that have since been fixed in the EDuke32 clipping rewrite... with unfortunate consequences for older maps and mods.

Including a CVar/GameInfo option to switch between the old and new clipping systems is probably a bit much to ask, what with the new code still been worked on and how aggressively fucked up the Duke3D codebase can be on a good day, but it'd probably be much appreciated for playing older mods and would provide an interesting differentiator between Raze and mainline eDuke32.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The old code is already there. Nuke.YKT has added some compatibility fallbacks for demo playback in his own games.
So, if you can point me to the mod and a savegame right at the problem spot I'll see if something quick can be done.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Graf Zahl wrote:So, if you can point me to the mod and a savegame right at the problem spot I'll see if something quick can be done.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/cfgsmf Here is Grins of Divinity - all you have to do is start a new game under Training Course and the very first thing that's immediately right next to you is one such ladder. As the instructions say, you're supposed to use the action key to navigate them, but while it works in the EDuke32 bundled with NightFright's collection, it doesn't here.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks, I'll have a look when I'm back home.
Gammli

Post by Gammli »

Kinsie wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:I've heard about some ladder issues myself. It'd be great if we could track down the commit that broke them and add a compatibility option.
As I understand it, the "sprite ladder" trick relied on some oddities of the old Duke3D clipping system that have since been fixed in the EDuke32 clipping rewrite... with unfortunate consequences for older maps and mods.

Including a CVar/GameInfo option to switch between the old and new clipping systems is probably a bit much to ask, what with the new code still been worked on and how aggressively fucked up the Duke3D codebase can be on a good day, but it'd probably be much appreciated for playing older mods and would provide an interesting differentiator between Raze and mainline eDuke32.
The spriteladder trick works again as of eduke32 r8568, which from what I can tell was merged into Raze.

Grins of Divinity however uses a completely different method to implement ladders, let me demonstrate: https://streamable.com/n1pbq
As you can see, the mod uses a floor-aligned sprite that raises once the player presses 'use' or jumps while near its position.

This behavior however broke with eduke32 r7436, and this is what happens now: https://streamable.com/jceia
From what I can tell, the ladder platform is supposed to lower when near the ceiling, but for some reason the current version constantly thinks that this is the case, and thus it is always pushed down.
Will cross post this over at the duke4 forums.
pagb666

Post by pagb666 »

Neat, but since it's all eduke32 based... does it fix the stutters or framerate inconsistencies? :lol:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It was the whole point to fix vsync. The texture code responsible for these problems has been entirely removed.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

The stutters should be all gone, and VSync also finally does its job.

Some performance issues still remain (notably in SW), but for the most part, it performs well.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

SW doesn't have performance issues, it has interpolation issues. For some reason under specific conditions the interpolation is not set up properly which results in choppy visuals.
Manuel-K

Post by Manuel-K »

PSA for those that don't follow the bugs section:

At the moment Blood is considered “broken and not usable” by Graf until the save system is fixed.

Return to “Abandoned Projects”