Raze - An Introduction

Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Raze - An Introduction

Post by Kinsie »

What's Raze?
Raze is a new source port by Graf Zahl and a few of the other GZDoom usual suspects that takes eDuke32 and several forks created to support other BUILD engine games under one roof with a number of tweaks and changes to taste.

What Are The New Features So Far?
  • Polymost has been refactored and seperated from OpenGL, shooting its scene construction off to GZDoom's renderer backend.
  • GZDoom's post-processing effects framework is incorporated
  • A replaced and revamped file system, based on the WAD manager used in GZDoom
  • GZDoom's "ZMusic" audio system has been implemented, allowing for Fluidsynth-powered MIDI soundfonts and weird emulated videogame music formats
  • The menu code from GZDoom is used as a generic system across all supported games
  • Renderer, sound system and input are used universally across multiple games, which are otherwise entirely seperated from each other.
  • Controller support is included, using the existing ZDoom controller code
  • OSD and configuration maintenance replaced with ZDoom's console and config code
What Games Are Supported?
  • Duke Nukem 3D v1.3D and Atomic Edition (via eDuke32, or RedNukem in v1.5 Compatibility Mode)
  • Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (via eDuke32, currently requires Stopgap Mod)
  • NAM (via eDuke32, or RedNukem in Duke3D v1.5 Compatibility Mode)
  • WW2GI (via eDuke32, or RedNukem in Duke3D v1.5 Compatibility Mode)
  • Redneck Rampage and Suckin' Grits on Route 66 (via RedNukem)
  • Redneck Rampage Rides Again (via RedNukem)
  • One Whole Unit Blood and Cryptic Passage (via NBlood)
What Games Aren't Supported Quite Yet But Are Vaguely Playable In Some Weird And/Or Buggy Form? Where's Witchaven and Tekwar?
In hell, where they belong. No, but seriously, the source code releases for those games are legally troublesome on account of being uploaded by a former programmer without any approval from the (long-defunct) rights holder or proper code license, so we can't really touch it. Sorry. BuildGDX is working on those games, you should totally check it out if you're not allergic to Java. (You might be! I wouldn't blame you.)

Where's Multiplayer?
Multiplayer is a pretty big ask, since separate netcode would need to be written for each included game. It might happen if some brave knight swoops in, sweeps the engine off its metaphorical feet and rides off into the sunset... but for now whatever netcode is there is as-is.

Are There Any New Modding Features?
Not yet. Graf's been focusing on focusing on the playability of the games as they currently stand. Some kind of additional mapping or modding functionality will come further down the line.

So, Uh, Where Can I Get It?
The source code is here. Official builds can be found here for now.

Something In This FAQ Is Wrong!
Yell at me or a moderator who knows more about this.
Last edited by Kinsie on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:11 am, edited 8 times in total.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Raze - An Introduction

Post by Redneckerz »

Seems you took some stuff off the just made Wiki, so in return, i take some stuff off this ;) Thanks!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Would this mean that eDuke32 mods (my case in example, Duke Plus) would work under Raze?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hellser wrote:Would this mean that eDuke32 mods (my case in example, Duke Plus) would work under Raze?
I was able to cram it into a PK3 with only minor tweaks (removing the "dukeplus" from the CON paths) but it's not 100% perfect just yet - 3D models don't seem to render, some of the new sounds don't seem to play (this seems to effect a lot of mods at the moment) and the modified key binds don't have their names changed.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah, models are not working at the moment, this was also mentioned about the HRP. Besides this issue with models, most EDuke32 mods should work, but it's inevitable that some will be broken. Vanilla-compatible stuff should just work, though.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

It's also worth noting that a number of mods are built with very specific older versions of eDuke32 in mind (that are usually packaged with the mod) and may act up in the version that Raze is using. Not a whole lot Graf can do about that, sadly.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Understandable. I'm looking forward to using this, then. :D
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Dukeplus is a example that won't working on latest EDuke32, it needed updated for running on latest so it would not working on Raze too.

Even the recently released Alien Armageddon and AMC TC EP3 have to run with provided EDuke32 snapshot build for working fine, it'll problematic if try run it on latest EDuke32 snapshot build.
Last edited by PlayerLin on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

PlayerLin wrote:Dukeplus is a example that won't working on latest EDuke32, it needed updated for running on latest so it would not working on Raze too.
That screenshot was taken in Raze, so it runs... if there's some hardcore gameplay bugs though, I didn't really play it enough to check due to the lack of 3D models.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Kinsie wrote:
PlayerLin wrote:Dukeplus is a example that won't working on latest EDuke32, it needed updated for running on latest so it would not working on Raze too.
That screenshot was taken in Raze, so it runs... if there's some hardcore gameplay bugs though, I didn't really play it enough to check due to the lack of 3D models.
https://forums.duke4.net/topic/8788-duk ... _p__254075
Trooper Dan wrote: Welcome back! Unfortunately I have developed a serious mental hangup about maintaining DukePlus and haven't touched it in years, even though I have worked on other EDuke32 projects. I have seen the messed up shadows in Polymost when working on Duke Forces, so I know it's a general problem and isn't DukePlus related. With the shell casings...the CON code never changed for them and it used to work (that part you posted is only part of it). I am guessing that what used to be an idle tile number in the HRP has a spinning animation defined on it now, and that is what causes the problem.
tl;dr: It was already outdated year ago and needed update but Trooper Dan just busy on his other projects and leave DP behind.

Oh, and DT is the expert of CON scripting so he know a lot about CON.
Last edited by PlayerLin on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It is unlikely that such mods outright break. They will mostly exhibit playability errors. My guess is that the most likely culprit is the reworked movement clipping code.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Kinsie wrote:It's also worth noting that a number of mods are built with very specific older versions of eDuke32 in mind (that are usually packaged with the mod) and may act up in the version that Raze is using. Not a whole lot Graf can do about that, sadly.
Pretty much this. EDuke32 itself constantly broke compatibility with various mods between versions, a part of them being affected by the reworked movement clipping code.

As a general rule, mods should work in Raze if they work in EDuke32, same could apply to NBlood, unless they rely on very specific versions and their features/quirks, particularly those of EDuke32 - if the mod ships with an old build, it is wise to stick to that one when playing, or if some shenanigans that aren't currently supported are at play. But it needs to be stressed that the focus, as of right now, is on making the games working as well as they possibly could, after that, mods and more potential features will come into focus.
Last edited by sinisterseed on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If there is a reasonable chance to get such mods working, I'll definitely try. THAT*S really worth something. :)
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Some big TC's worth testing:
- AMC TC
- Imagination World 1 and 2 (The latter had an updated exe to modern systems)
- Everything from the TC list here: https://msdn.duke4.net/tcrev.php
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm quite sure that some of these won't work, but getting some feedback on AMC would really be great.

Return to “Abandoned Projects”