[Wish] savegames by IWAD

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ducon

[Wish] savegames by IWAD

Post by ducon »

I wish that ZDoom has subdirectories in the main directory, one for each IWAD, and each one will contain the savegames for this IWAD and why not the configuration. I ask this because I’ve got a lots of IWADs and I think it would be less confusing to separate all the savgames.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This should have gone in the feature suggestions forum, not bugs! But it's a good idea anyway.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Also, include the option to then subdivide it by PWADS. Of course, that could cause utter confusion sometimes, so include it as a compatibility option and default it to off. :P
Killo Zapit

Post by Killo Zapit »

It seams kind of pointless as games already are filtered by iwad in zdoom, and all savegame management can be handled though there... however, I see no reason why the option shouldn't exist to set the savegame dir in the .ini on a per-game basis, and hell, why shouldn't you be able to specify another .ini to save a game's configuration to?

While on the subject of saves, what about quake-style "save" and "load" console commands that can save games to whatever .zds file you want? You could make quicksave binds, or whatever.
Killionaire

Post by Killionaire »

I was just getting a bit angry by this... I've been playing Eternal Doom for the past week and a half (like the 3rd PWAD i've played), but i needed a change from the wide open 30+ minute maps so i went to icarus and, call me a neat freak, but the whole save game overlap really bothers me.

Of course, I didn't know there was ANY kind of save game management, im sure it's somewhere in the wiki but its 1 o'clock here and i don't feel like using my brain at all right now; anyone mind either telling me how to manage it in zdoom or show me a link explaining it (in simple terms)?
Killo Zapit

Post by Killo Zapit »

Well when I say "manage" I mean "delete". There are no subdirectories or crap like that that I know of if that's what you mean. But I usually stick to one or two saves per wad, not counting autosaves, so that isn't a problem.
ducon

Post by ducon »

Graf Zahl wrote:This should have gone in the feature suggestions forum, not bugs! But it's a good idea anyway.
OK, anybody can move the thread?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Killo Zapit wrote:and hell, why shouldn't you be able to specify another .ini to save a game's configuration to?
You can already - by using the -config option.

zdoom -config myalternative.ini

Of course, I don't think you can change that during a game, so you'd have to make a copy of your original settings to a new file before using the -config parameter. Or use it without a new file and start with the default settings and set things up yourself for every new config you want to use and let Zdoom write it for you.

Killionaire

Post by Killionaire »

Killo Zapit wrote:Well when I say "manage" I mean "delete". There are no subdirectories or crap like that that I know of if that's what you mean. But I usually stick to one or two saves per wad, not counting autosaves, so that isn't a problem.
Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding then. Honestly...the one thing that bothers me about Zdoom over other ports is that damn autosave feature.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Killionaire wrote:Honestly...the one thing that bothers me about Zdoom over other ports is that damn autosave feature.
So disable it.

ducon

Post by ducon »

Xaser wrote:Also, include the option to then subdivide it by PWADS.
There’s only one problem with this suggestion: some games need two or more WADs.
Anyone can move the thread?
Killionaire

Post by Killionaire »

Enjay wrote:
Killionaire wrote:Honestly...the one thing that bothers me about Zdoom over other ports is that damn autosave feature.
So disable it.

Don't know how many times i have to say im in the dark when it comes to these things :lol: . Mind telling me how to disable the autosave feature then? I checked the options a while back and didn't see that option available.
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

its there.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It's in the INI file - the command, I believe, is Autosave (which must be set to False) - check the Wiki under Console Commands.
Killionaire

Post by Killionaire »

Will do, thanks for the info.

Really changed the focus of this thread, my bad.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”