[Fixed] Things don't drop down to floor

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cyb wrote:if you're talking about things on instant dropping floors staying in the air for a split second and then dropping, that's been around for quite a while now. I think this dates back to 1.17 at least because I remember it occuring in a few of my older maps which were made for 1.17. Personally I really like that effect as it's more realistic. I mean, if you were standing on a floor and suddenly it was gone you wouldn't suddenly be on the new height of the floor (or whatever was below you), you'd fall down to it. I like it damnit!

I don't. In all circumstances I have seen it it either looked ridiculous (My Memento Mori example) or caused some ugly side effects like monsters standing on each other and such. Besides, it's not the way Doom handled this and after all, we are still talking about Doom, don't we?
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

I don't think it looks ridiculous, slightly comical at worst, but I still like it. it's nothing horrible that effects gameplay or breaks maps really.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You say that until a cyberdemon drops on your head. (Don't laugh, that happened to me once. Unfortunately I don't remember which map it was.)
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

oh come on, you can't tell me you didn't think that was funny?!

I'm laughing just thinking about it rofl
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cyb wrote:oh come on, you can't tell me you didn't think that was funny?!

I'm laughing just thinking about it rofl

You don't believe me? Ok, here is just one little crap-map I just made that demonstrates this effect. Works fine in any other Boom compatible port but in ZDoom the Cyberdemon lands on your head!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't think Cyb didn't believe you, just that he didn't think it wasn't funny. As for the example map, the way it works seems to make sense to me. I quite like the effect actually. If something simply disappears from below you, you are going to fall at the rate of gravity - ie slower than an instantly disappearing platform. So I see no problem here.

And I thought it was quite funny. Kind of the cartoon character running out of road, but realising a few seconds later sort of effect. :lol:

Heh, there's actually a bit of skill involved "catching" the cybie. Took me 3 or 4 goes before I got him standing on my head.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

rofl, come on man, that's huge comedy right there!

for the record, yes, as enjay said, I did believe you (indeed I've witnessed things standing upon one another because of this) I'm just saying having a cyberdemon land on your head is pure hilarity, I don't find anything annoying or undesirable about it at all, in fact I prefer it to the doom behavior really
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

seems pretty [censored word] to me. a 3 ton demon somehow not only just standing but balancing on the doom marine's head is just stupid.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

but a hoards of demons from hell invading earth and one man managing to stop them all while carrying seven weapons with little trouble, flying along at roughly 75 miles per hour who can't jump, look up and down or step over things slightly less than half his height is in a world were doors only open upwards and there is only just barely a z-axis is perfectly sane and not stupid in the least
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

sure, but there's a difference between the original silliness and new added in silliness.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

well my point was that it's just a game, it doesn't really matter

besides, even if this is changed to reflect the original behavior, it'll still be possible to get a cyberdemon onto the player's head, thrusting him off a high cliff, or by spawning etc, granted not by this method any more, but it'll always be possible (unless randy decides to add some sort of mass calcs where every thing can only support a certain amount of weight before breaking, unlikely)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

unless randy decides to add some sort of mass calcs where every thing can only support a certain amount of weight before breaking, unlikely
You know, that sounds like a good idea; as a DEHACKED flag(CANCRUSH/CRUSHES).
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

yeah but you run into issues such as what can hold up how much, for instance a cybderdemon can clearly hold up a blue torch, but can it hold up a spidermastermind? I suppose you could base it on the current mass of the thing but then what if the thing has no death frames? surely a blue torch can't hold up a cyberdemon... it's an excess amount of work for something that's not overly useful, like I said, unlikely heh
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heh. That cyber thing is funny!
Last edited by Xaser on Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Graf Zahl wrote:Besides, it's not the way Doom handled this
But it is the way Hexen behaves, and I think it makes more sense. But since you complained about it so vociferously, I've changed it back for Doom and Heretic so that things standing on the floor will stay glued to it no matter how fast it drops, if only so that that spot in E4M7 will work.
Graf Zahl wrote:What I don't understand is why they stick in the ceiling...
They don't stick in the ceiling; they stick in each other. The Z collision code won't let something fall if it will end up inside something else, even if it is already inside that something else.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”