Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Automap Line Thickness

Post by Hellser »

As the title says, I think it might be useful to have a line thickness option for the automap - both to replicate the old chunky look of Doom back in the day, and also for high resolution monitors - where the line thickness might be too thin and hard to read.
Nash

Re: Automap Line Thickness

Post by Nash »

I can barely see the automap anymore on 1920x1200, unless I use a high contrast colour scheme (like the Doom preset - at the expense of custom lock colours!).

On 4k the automap lines might as well be invisible.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Once I found out about the textured automap in GZDoom I never went back to the just vector map (didn't Duke Nukem 3D have textured map as well?) Though lines are still there, and they show up just fine even on a 4K 24" display at about a meter away. Though the contrast with the textures probably helps. I like the fact that the lines maintain the same thinness irrespective of the zoom level.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I find the textured automap to be distracting. I suppose for most players, that'll work fine. I think for Nash and I - the classic vector map is how things should be.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

I have no problem with 2560x1600
but I use "traditional doom" colors though, means the classic black background with red wall lines. I highly prefer that over the beige background.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Textures can help quickly orient you. Say you have 2 rooms the same size and shape, they could easily be confused with each-other, but if they have different floor textures you can easily tell them apart.
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

The CVAR gl_aalines enables antialiasing for the Automap, which I personally found made the lines easier to see.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

I'm bumping this thread because I've also run into this issue today. We have new 24 inch 4K monitors in my workplace, so naturally, I tried GZdoom on one. And... the automap lines are practically invisible - these monitors have 0,14 mm pixel pitch, which means the lines are 0,14 mm thick. From the recommended viewing distance (90 cm), they look more like hair on a beige lamp. I had to lower the resolution to 1366x768 to view the map without eye strain.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

gl_aalines is supposed to work? I never got it to do anything.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

If you ever decide to add the automap scaling, please don't forget to scale the markers, too. The "large" marker font is actually rather small even on mediocre resolutions like 1366x768.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Signed. I also wouldn't mind having automap scaling. Even making it possible to write a downscaling shader for it like ToridGristle did with the RetroShader (for scene rendering) would already be something.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Better late than never... :mrgreen:
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Having used the line thickness feature for a while now, I feel like it does have some small "catches", namely corners. I wonder if it'd be possible to tweak drawthickline to have "caps" at each end of the line so those gaps on corners are less visible.
Gutawer

Post by Gutawer »

Putting semicircles on the end of lines would work but it should also certainly be an argument in the function rather than just changing its behavior - it does also technically run the risk of overestimating how big a line is but given that most people will run this at a few pixels width that shouldn't be a big deal.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”