The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
worldendDominator

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by worldendDominator »

What about a fast projectile? I'm not sure how that may affect performance, but it should do what you need.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

https://youtu.be/FIcjmx-Ta88
Or you understood something wrong, or one out of two.
Spoiler:
But it still cause pain, despite of zero damage.
Last edited by Apeirogon on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

also (while testing with gzdoombuilder, as mentioned before i prefer DB2)...why are my custom resources not showing up all of a sudden?

no actors are loading. and some of them (but not nearly all) are showing double defined errors...but theyre not double defined.

super confused...furthering my hatred of GZDB2.
heehoo

Post by heehoo »

cortlong50 wrote:is there any way to use (and include) brightmaps in a .wad without having to save the entire thing as a .PK3 (i hate gzdoom builder and dont want to us it...it crashes too often for me).

if so....how?
Not sure if this would help, but I remember .PK3s working if you just dump all of their contents into a .wad, resulting in a .wad that includes and automatically loads the .PK3's stuff. This would be good if your only concern is that the .wad and .PK3 would be separated, , since you could either make it into a .PK3 and dump it in, or just immediately dump the contents in without making it a .PK3 depending on how all the formatting stuff works. However, I've got nothing if the actual problem is that the .PK3-making process is a pain and is a problem by itself.
heehoo

Post by heehoo »

Apeirogon wrote:https://youtu.be/FIcjmx-Ta88
Spoiler:
Huh, I guess I did misunderstand. This works perfectly, and the pain thing could be avoided by designing maps appropriately, so I guess that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thanks for sorting this out! :mrgreen:
heehoo

Post by heehoo »

heehoo wrote:
Apeirogon wrote:https://youtu.be/FIcjmx-Ta88
Spoiler:
Huh, I guess I did misunderstand. This works perfectly, and the pain thing could be avoided by designing maps appropriately, so I guess that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thanks for sorting this out! :mrgreen:
I've now also made it such that the railgun attack temporarily increases the target's pain threshold to 1 instead of 0, so this works 100% perfectly now! I probably would've given up after not finding out what to do about the previous problem if I never asked here, so you basically single-handedly saved this idea. Thanks m8! :mrgreen:
Kafelnikov

Post by Kafelnikov »

...solved
Last edited by Kafelnikov on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

heehoo wrote: I've now also made it such that the railgun attack temporarily increases the target's pain threshold to 1 instead of 0, so this works 100% perfectly now
How?
heehoo

Post by heehoo »

Apeirogon wrote:
heehoo wrote: I've now also made it such that the railgun attack temporarily increases the target's pain threshold to 1 instead of 0, so this works 100% perfectly now
How?
Alongside the railgun attack, I used:

Code: Select all

A_SetPainThreshold(1,2)
Since the attack deals 0 damage, the target's new threshold of 1 is beyond the damage (or lack thereof) dealt, meaning that it still flinches as normal from usual damage sources while also not flinching from the laser sight. Not sure if it'd ever be important, but I also made it reset the threshold to 0 after it's done (force of habit, I guess).
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

heehoo wrote:
cortlong50 wrote:is there any way to use (and include) brightmaps in a .wad without having to save the entire thing as a .PK3 (i hate gzdoom builder and dont want to us it...it crashes too often for me).

if so....how?
Not sure if this would help, but I remember .PK3s working if you just dump all of their contents into a .wad, resulting in a .wad that includes and automatically loads the .PK3's stuff. This would be good if your only concern is that the .wad and .PK3 would be separated, , since you could either make it into a .PK3 and dump it in, or just immediately dump the contents in without making it a .PK3 depending on how all the formatting stuff works. However, I've got nothing if the actual problem is that the .PK3-making process is a pain and is a problem by itself.
thanks for the reply heehoo.

i actually have all the brightmaps in there...all the GLDEFS in there...but for some reason it refuses to load the textures. super weird. i cant seem to get it to recognize the brightmaps and put them on the textures.

im wondering if i need special markers or something for brightmaps.

so theres my question...when putting brightmaps in a .wad...do i need special markers or something?
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

(one reason im not a fan of this whole wait to be approved thing...i cant edit my comments)

new issue. its not that i did do it right in the GLDEFS...its that gzdoom 1.8+ wontfind them.it says "cant load brightmap (whatever". gzdoom 2+ and 3+ load them up all day.

what the hell is that about?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

cortlong50 wrote:(one reason im not a fan of this whole wait to be approved thing...i cant edit my comments)
You were put on the queue because you bumped really old project threads more than once. I'll restore your ability to post without approval - but please don't be bumping old projects unless you have really good reason to.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

a_FireProjectile spawn projectile at the surface of shootable actor defined by its radius?
BigProjectAlone

Post by BigProjectAlone »

Is there a way to change monster height through a function ?

Return to “Editing (Archive)”