Small problem with my y's and i's in Zdoom

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:35 am

Oddly enough, Zdoom seems to treat any text y's as i's in the options menu. For example, the Gameplay option menus is now the 'Gameplai' option menu and Entryway on the auto map is 'Entrywai'.

It's not a big deal, just really odd.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:41 am

This doesn't happen to me. I'm using 49.cab, though. What version are you using?

Maybe the problem you're having is mentioned in this thread.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:45 am

It might be, although most of the technical comments in the thread went over my head.

I'm using 2.0.50 currently, which is when I noticed the bug for the first time this morning.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:48 am

Wait a minute! I just noticed that it does this to me in all On-screen messages, now. Strange. :? Didn't notice it before. I hope this gets fixed soon, cause it's annoying as hell. :x Randy, Help! :!: :!:

Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:23 am

Export the lump STCFN089 from your doom(2).wad and stick it in a WAD as a lump called STCFN121 and load it. Problem solved.

Also, so you know, this is how and why the problem can occur.

randy wrote:October 14, 2003
- Uncommented the check that excluded the loading of STCFN121 only if it was in the main IWAD. Note to anybody modding ZDoom who loads a resource wad before the IWAD: This check in the FFont constructor assumes the IWAD is at position 1. You will need to change this for your mod.

So if you are getting this problem, you are probably loading a file that pushes doom2.wad to some other position than 1. From memory, zdoom.wad loads first (position 0) the main IWAD is next. Anything in skins gets loaded after that, but certain files can knock the order out. eg If you have a file called zvox.wad in your zdoom dir, it gets auto loaded and (at one time at least) used to push doom2.wad out of position 1 and you'd see an i instead of a Y.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:53 am

Enjay wrote:Export the lump STCFN089 from your doom(2).wad and stick it in a WAD as a lump called STCFN121 and load it. Problem solved.

I'm still getting the problem with on-screen messages. Can randy please hurry up and fix this?

Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:11 pm

im using .50 and the fonts are fine for me, and i have a LOT of autoload files...

Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:12 pm

Xaser wrote:I'm still getting the problem with on-screen messages. Can randy please hurry up and fix this?

Which on screen messages? They all look fine for me.

You're not loading a WAD that contains font graphics are you? The stcfn121 graphic should be shown when a lower case y is in the text, so if the messages being shown contains a y rather than a Y, and a font other than the one in Doom2.wad is being loaded, then Zdoom is actually doing the correct thing and showing stcfn121. It's just unfortunate that stcfn121 doesn't look like it is supposed to.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:19 pm

Bio Hazard wrote:im using .50 and the fonts are fine for me, and i have a LOT of autoload files...

It's the ones that get stuck into the load before doom2.wad, thus pushing doom2.wad further down the line that cause a problem. A file called zvox.wad can be put in your zdoom directory. This gets autoloaded and used to mess up the order. I just tried and it doesn't anymore.

Xaser, what is your command line? You're not using a launcher or similar that is doing something odd like loading the iwad using the -file parameter are you? I just tried loading doom2.wad using -file (as well as using it for the IWAD) and my y's became i's.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:05 pm

Never mind. I was also using doomam.wad, which has font graphics. My bad. :P