Stuttering in 48.cab

Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:22 am

Well, I downloaded cab48 just a few moments ago, and I exerienced a problem. When I turn using the arrow keys, there's a sort of "stuttering". It doesnt occur when I turn using the mouse, nor does it happen when I walk forwards or backwards. It looks almost as if the game is fighting to turn in the opposite direction that Im trying to go to. I checked the bindings to make sure there were no conflicts, and even tried reassigning the keys, just to be thorough. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:56 am

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but when I use the keyboard to turn, it seems like at first it turns slowly and then speeds up as I hold the key down. Is that what you're talking about?

Also, make sure you've got vid_capfps set to false. If you haven't used 47i or higher before, you might not be used to the improved framerate...

Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:31 am

Oh it's definetely not that. Im accustomed to the "speed-up" you mention, as well as the uncapped framerate. This effect is more like seeing an earthquake whenever I turn.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:12 am

... cl_capfps

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:29 am

Not sure if this is related or not, but when I use my sniper mode zoom

Code:
alias zoomer12x "fov 10; m_pitch .125;m_yaw .2; echo 12X zoom; set autoaim 0; set crosshair 52; set r_drawplayersprites 0; crosshairgrow 0; playsound scope;"

The nice subtle controlled movement has gone and the view seems to move in "steps" as you move the mouse around to acquire your target.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:36 pm

48 indeed "feels" different than 47i
Enjay wrote:The nice subtle controlled movement has gone and the view seems to move in "steps" as you move the mouse around to acquire your target.

Same for my zooming.
mouse_sensitivity 0.4 for a distance of about 1024 was fine (with NJMA01) but I felt like I needed 0.1 for a distance of 512 in Bloodfalls.
Probably just me. :?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:41 pm

I had my mouse sensitivity at 2.5 and my pitch and yaw at 2 in 47i. To make it feel right, I had to change the pitch and yaw to 4 for version 48.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:53 pm

I wonder...

randy wrote:- Changed player turning to be local. Also changed the mouse reading so that
it happens every frame instead of every tic. Together, these two changes
keep the mouse feeling responsive even when the framerate drops below 35 FPS.

That's the only obvious "mousey" looking stuff I could spot. Other than the m_filter cvar which changing did not make any difference to the above effect.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:49 pm

I played with vid_fps on to see what was happening. The framerate doesnt change at all when this "bug" occurs. It stays at about 50 (in map01, which is where I was testing) the entire time. And as I said before, this only happens with the keyboard. The mouse still works perfectly.

Edit: I decided to set cl_capfps to 1 just to see what would happen. Sure enough, the problem STILL occurs, though it's not as noticeable.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:30 pm

You are probably noticing the keyboard only turning you at 35 Hz. Could that be it?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:51 pm

randy wrote:You are probably noticing the keyboard only turning you at 35 Hz. Could that be it?

Not for the zooming thing, but I'll come back to that.

I just tried binding some keys to turn (normally I use the mouse and have no keys bound to turn) and noticed what HotWax wrote. Turning is initially slow, then speeds up. Aside from that, turning with the keys is much as I would expect. However, I looked into the slow-then-quicker thing. It only happens when running is set to true. It's kind of like you turn at walking speed for a brief moment, then running speed kicks in. If running is not on, you turn at the same rate all the time ie walking speed turning (as far as I can tell).

As for the mouse thing when zoomed in - To be a little more descriptive, it seems that the mouse only moves in predefined steps. Zoom in, and move the mouse. The view "jumps" to the position you are pointing at. Keep moving the mouse in the same direction and the aim stays still for a while, until mouse movement has reached a critical point, then the view "jumps" again. Oh, I should mention this is only in the Y direction. I use mouse inverting, but switching that off doesn't seem to affect this problem.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:00 pm

HotWax wrote:when I use the keyboard to turn, it seems like at first it turns slowly and then speeds up as I hold the key down.

This is the standard Doom two-stage "accelerative" turning. If you hold the key down for a short while, your view doesn't move as quickly, supposedly so you can aim better.

Assmaster wrote:This effect is more like seeing an earthquake whenever I turn.

I have now confirmed that the keyboard is turning exactly as it is supposed to. Perhaps you are mistaking the tearing from no vsync for an "earthquake?" Set vid_vsync to true. The keyboard will still be turning you at only 35 FPS (as opposed to every frame when you use a mouse or joystick), but the screen won't update in the middle of a frame anymore.

Enjay wrote:The view "jumps" to the position you are pointing at.

You are right. It was only moving in incerements of 16. Fixed.

Enjay wrote:Other than the m_filter cvar which changing did not make any difference to the above effect.

m_filter is supposed to average mouse movement. Instead, in 2.0.48, it just cuts your mouse speed in half. Oops.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:43 pm

I added some code to once again interpolate your turning when you use the keyboard, and I am almost certain this "bug" is really because you got used to the keyboard turning you smoothly and then it suddenly went back to turning you in steps no more than 35 times a second.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:41 pm

randy wrote:
HotWax wrote:when I use the keyboard to turn, it seems like at first it turns slowly and then speeds up as I hold the key down.

This is the standard Doom two-stage "accelerative" turning. If you hold the key down for a short while, your view doesn't move as quickly, supposedly so you can aim better.

I figured it was probably a feature rather than a bug, but was wondering if perhaps that's what he meant. I don't use the keyboard for turning so wasn't aware of the effect.