OPEN GL suddenly stopped rendering blood pools on BDV21.

Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:51 am

Okay, so all of this started from what I can remember while I was playing Brutal Doom V19 on an older version of GZDOOM, 1.9.1 to be exact. I went to chainsaw an enemy and so much blood came out that it crashed the game, so I said fuck it and started playing Brutal Doom V21 on the newest build of GZDOOM (4.7.1), which has always worked perfectly, and Open GL has always been default on every version I have ever downloaded. Once I started playing, I noticed that no blood pools were forming around the enemies and no blood particles were spraying on the floor, only the walls. So, I checked all the usual menu stuff and none of my settings were changed. So, I started on a pointless journey to try and fix this. Now mind you, I had no problems at all before this, everything worked fine. I didn't update any drivers or change anything at all with my system. I figured I would start there to see if maybe that would fix the problem. I'm running an AMD Radeon RX 580 graphics card and OPEN GL was always the default setting on my GZDOOM 4.7.1 menu, along with every other version I have ever tried. So, I went to AMD's webpage, downloaded their newest update for my card and tried it again. Nothing happened. Still no blood pools or blood of any kind on the floor. Next, I ran my System File Checker, which had corrupted files, so it fixed them, and I restarted my system and tried again. Still nothing... I went to check to see if my PC was adjusted for best performance, which it was, so I thought maybe I should try my older GZDOOM 4.6. Still the same problem. I deleted 4.7.1, redownloaded it and nothing changed, still no blood pools or blood graphics on the floor. At this point, I am completely puzzled as to how this happened. I removed my configuration file from my GZDOOM folder and tried again, still the same issue. The only hardware rendering api that works now is Vulkan (don't want to try softpoly), which is fine, but I am left wondering what caused OPEN GL to stop rendering these graphics in the first place? My newest updated driver says that it currently has Open GL 4.6 but once again, how did it stop working before I ever updated my driver? Why does Vulkan only work now? I am completely clueless as to what caused this issue. Could it have been because I was running BDV19 on GZDOOM 1.9.1 and it crashed? The only reason I played BDV19 on GZDOOM 1.9.1 in the first place is because the current GZDOOM builds don't render blood on the floor for V19, lol. I am dying to know what caused this problem and hopefully fix it. I don't know what else to try, so if anyone could give me any insight on this, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Re: OPEN GL suddenly stopped rendering blood pools on BDV21.

Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:57 am

Please do us all a favor and report this in a more concise and better formatted form. This is a chore to read through, and this will have to be done every time again someone wants to check it out. The likelihood is high that it will just be tossed aside every single time.

Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:19 am

I am going to take a guess this is another one of those infamous "AMD drivers + OpenGL = broken 3D" bug reports, where the consensus was to either downgrade the AMD drivers or use Vulkan.

Might be worth making a blog post about this at some point... :)

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:41 am

Nash wrote:Might be worth making a blog post about this at some point... :)

Hopefully with a post more coherent than this bug report.