Severe HOM effect with True Color SW renderer.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:18 pm

So the whole issue is that the game cannot clear frames at all, it's as if i'm playing MS Paint: Doom Edition.

Expected Behavior: Not to glitch the whole app

Actual Behavior: Glitches the whole app.

To reproduce: Go out of bounds, then switch to True Color SW WHILE out of bounds, then go out of the menu and switch weapons and fire. The game can't clear frames anymore!

btw if it says the video isn't available yet, it's not done uploading, please wait.
Last edited by yum13241 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Severe HOM effect with True Color SW renderer.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:58 pm

There isn't much that can be done here.

The situation is not as bad as it seems - you simply are not turning your view back to a renderable viewpoint. If you open the automap and run back to the start point everything will go back to normal again.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:21 pm

The good news is, it's a pretty accurate representation of the OG Doom DOS exe.

Witness MAP01 in all its glory. ;)

Also, to post videos, you just include the code after v= in the youtube tags. Your video...

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:31 pm

Enjay wrote:The good news is, it's a pretty accurate representation of the OG Doom DOS exe.

Witness MAP01 in all its glory. ;)

Also, to post videos, you just include the code after v= in the youtube tags. Your video...

With the DSR (Doom SW Renderer), I only get an expected HOM, not a HOM to the point where gzdoom.exe can't even clear any frames., like what happens with TCSWR (True Color SW Renderer). Looking at the image another time, I've seen nothing like that, even in Chocolate Doom. I've only seen this in GZDoom and possible in anything that has TCSWR.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Rachael wrote:There isn't much that can be done here.

The situation is not as bad as it seems - you simply are not turning your view back to a renderable viewpoint. If you open the automap and run back to the start point everything will go back to normal again.

Very true, but if someone is testing a map to work in all renderers, and went out of bounds to see the whole level out of bounds, they would encounter this bug. Not being able to fix it makes sense though, maybe the people behind the TCSWR have since moved on.

Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 am

"Out of bounds" is undefined behavior.
Clearing the screen in a software renderer costs time, and for normal operations is not needed so logically it gets skipped.

Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:29 am

Graf Zahl wrote:"Out of bounds" is undefined behavior.
Clearing the screen in a software renderer costs time, and for normal operations is not needed so logically it gets skipped.

That makes sense, if what you mean is clear the screen out of bounds.