Crash with Array::Insert and static event handler

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Crash with Array::Insert and static event handler

Post by Player701 »

The following ZScript will cause GZDoom to crash upon loading a map, provided that the event handler has been registered in MAPINFO:

Code: Select all

class TestHandler : StaticEventHandler
{
    Array<MyClass> ar;

override void OnRegister()
    {
        ar.Insert(1, new('MyClass'));
    }
}

class MyClass
{    
}
I have attached a WAD to reproduce the crash. Tested in GZDoom 4.4.2 and g4.5pre-230-g89cc69710
Attachments
insert_crash.wad
(301 Bytes) Downloaded 19 times
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Crash with Array::Insert and static event handler

Post by Major Cooke »

Does it crash when you do the 'new' first as a variable and then insert it?

Also, just a note, Graf has said OnRegister should be avoided for everything except setting the order.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Can't check right now, but inserting at index 1 in an empty array surely is undefined behavior at the very best and should probably abort.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Player701 »

IMO, it should initialize the elements at all previous indices (0 in this case) with default values (null, 0, false etc. depending on the type). However, an abort would at least be better than a crash. Note that I did this with an array of numeric values previously, and everything worked just fine - of course I never touched the values at indices where I didn't insert anything. It's only logical to expect an object array to behave in the same way.
Major Cooke wrote:Does it crash when you do the 'new' first as a variable and then insert it?

Also, just a note, Graf has said OnRegister should be avoided for everything except setting the order.
It does, because the problem is with the insertion, and not with the generated code. The crash happens during a GC pass.

Regarding OnRegister et al., my experience is that everything will work normally as long as you know what APIs are safe to call at each entry point in your script code. Creating objects and populating an array doesn't involve any external APIs at all, so I don't see any reason why it should suddenly break.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

fixed

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”