[Fixed] Sky problem

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Sky problem

Post by Hirogen2 »

Hi,

take a look at Doom E2M1's sky right at the beginning. There is a sector outside, which is some tall (has F_SKY as ceil tex), and the other small one which is 8 units high IIRC, also has F_SKY(1) as ceil.

In my current implementation of "The HUNT begins" map of ROTT ( http://linux01.org:2222/rottconv.php , hbgne1a1.zip ), the 2nd sky part (sector 2) has F_SKY as ceil and floor tex, the heights are 0 and 0 (not 0 and 8 like E2M1). The 1st sky part (sector 13), has currently some flat and F_SKY as ceil (heights 0/384).

What I want is to have F_SKY as floor in sector 13 (so it looks like real ROTT's E1A1), but doing so gives me a HOM. Is there any way to handle this?
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

i think that was fixed for "The perfect ZDoom" (AKA 48.cab)

had to do with visplanes and such

EDIT: WOW! that is ZROTT! :D

you wouldnt want any help mapping it would you?
id be happy to map all of E1 (ive only got the shareware)
you would just need to provide textures and sounds and stuff...

i want to play rott again so bad :(
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

You did not follow the "ROTT sprites" thread on DW? Check that my site, there is everything necessary so far. Right, I could opt-in for help, but I did not acquire anything yet. Because not everything of ROTT can be realized as of 2.0.47 -- then again, other things just will pop up in 2.0.48 -- making/copying the maps right now could lead to more work in the future :(

What version of the Shareware do you have? Apogee has modified many things on both RTL and WAD files, and I was about to choose the finest parts of both...
The only "map making" that can be done is the outer shapes, some polyobjects, that's it. There is no semi-real 3d (à la legacy) and I dunno if I would want to use textures to simulate 3d floors (à la rott). Most of the monsters/things is not existant (lack of a MONSTERS lump AKA extension to DECORATE)...

If yes, I would give you the job of Shareware E1 ("The HUNT begins"), since you only happen to have that, and I do have "everything but the Site Version" (ROTT Regged, ROTT Deluxe, Extreme ROTT, add-on RTCs). Anyway it doesnot matter with which levels I begin, so I just continue on Dark War E1. :)

You might want to download "ROTT Mapper Deluxe" (available at 3drealms, exec file is "rmdfw.exe", zip file name ... unknown :) ) to view the maps and putting the vertices in the Doom map. If you want to, start with E2A2 then, outer shapes only so far, there is not really much to be done right now.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

if you want to do a sky window sort of effect the ceiling can't be the same height as the floor, try making the ceiling have a height of 1.

also, in 2.0.47 having floor and ceiling as skys if both skys are a skybox (regular skys work fine) will cause hom, but this has been fixed in 2.1 (or 2.0.48, not sure what randy is calling it, but the next release).
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Cyb wrote:in 2.0.47 having floor and ceiling as skys if both skys are a skybox (regular skys work fine) will cause hom
I got that problem recently - but I fixed it by putting an extra sector in - it only seems to happen if you put a sky selector in the 2 outermost sectors (including the (0, 0) sector for the vanilla horizon effect).
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

You are using a skybox, which means this is the same bug Cyb found with his Alice wad. Fixed for 2.0.48/2.1.0.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”