[Won't change] idmus cheat problems

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

idmus cheat problems

Post by Hirogen2 »

To keep it short: idmus33, 34 and 35 is not working.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Were they supposed to?
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I don't think they've ever worked in ZDoom. Use 'changemus d_name' at the console instead
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Yes, IIRC idmus33 -> intermission, idmus34 -> intro music, idmus35 for text (i.e. MAP07). Vanilla Doom had it working.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

ZDoom treats the parameter as a map number not as an index like vanilla Doom so this is not surprising. If this was changed it wouldn't work for maps >32 anymore so I'd say leave it as it is. This really isn't important IMHO.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Even in versions as old as 1.22, it was like this. Bug? I think not.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

I'd say it's not a bug, it's just something different from vanilla Doom to ZDoom. I also think the change is justified for a couple reasons. First off, in Doom, the only way to voluntarily change music was to use the idmus cheat, so they needed to give those three tunes "level numbers" in order to let the player select them if he wished. This is no longer necessary in ZDoom, because you can fire off any tune in the IWAD (or elsewhere on your harddrive) using the appropriate console commands. Secondly, if ZDoom set aside idmus33, 34, and 35 specifically for those three songs, it would be an inconsistancy in the way the idmus command works. That inconsistancy was necessary in vanilla Doom for the reason I mentioned above, it's not necessary anymore, so no need to change this back.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The idmus cheat in Doom was a mess. I think it even crashed when it was given a number of a non-existing music. Doom just used the number in the cheat as an index into its music table but didn't any range checking, I believe. Doom 1 and Doom 2 music were stored in the same list so specifying Doom1 music was only possible with trial and error. I really see no point to 'correct' this cheat to Doom ugly and unstable behavior. Too bad if you cannot specify some music with it now but as has already been said, use 'changemus'. You can specify the music by name which is clearer anyway.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

For a time, the idmus cheat wasn't even present in ZDoom, because the music table was gone. I brought it back only because some people complained about using changemus. Be glad it's there at all, even if it doesn't behave exactly as it did in Doom.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”