cringe when people show work-in-progress wads?

Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:16 pm

i cringe when mappers publicly announce work-in-progress wads which are below 90% completed. even for amassing public recognition to boost morale to finish the wads. premature announcements could most probably result in wad's release dragged for months, even years. some never to be concluded. this is actually backed by science:

there are however, exceptions. projects by mappers/project leaders with genuine grit would eventually cross the finish line. wad projects above 90% completed also seem safe from such predicament. even advocated for debugging, gameplay testing, balancing, and promotional purposes.

regardless of the outcome, announcing work-in-progress wads do embellish the internet with screenshots of the game i love.

what are your thoughts on mappers showing work-in-progress wads? should mappers play it safe by surprising the doom community with near/completed wads? or risk it by sharing progress with the public to get new ideas etc?

regards,
rita.

Re: cringe when people show work-in-progress wads?

Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:30 pm

They should do whatever they're comfortable with. Sometimes a person is just excited to share that they've done things. Whether those things get finished or released is entirely up to them.

Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:55 pm

You have no idea! 8-)

Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:56 pm

ritaremton wrote:i cringe when mappers publicly announce work-in-progress wads which are below 90% completed. even for amassing public recognition to boost morale to finish the wads.

thanks for re-enforcing impostor syndrome

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:08 pm

A mod (not sure why the term WAD is used here) that is presented even if half finished might (in some cases) attract other devs to help with the project, thereby making completion possible that would otherwise had stayed out of reach. Also, who says that a mod has to be completed? For some people, working on the mod is reward enough, or they just want to prototype ideas without ambitions for a full-blown project release. Also², getting (positive) critique can be a real morale booster.
Last edited by Cherno on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:11 pm

Fuck me for wanting to share what I'm working on, I guess.

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:26 pm

I cringe am revulsed when people use the word "cringe".

Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:28 pm

I am revulsed when...

;)

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:37 pm

I cringe when people who've been here less than six months and contributed nothing decide to criticize those who actually do something.

Locking, nothing positive will come of this thread.

8-)