Graphical Issues Still Exist in GZDoom 4.8.2

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Graphical Issues Still Exist in GZDoom 4.8.2

Post by Guest »

I would like to report that in GZDoom 4.8.2 graphical issues are still occurring with with the options menu and new game menus flashing text back and forth making it impossible to do anything hardly. Also the screen wipe feature melt is still having graphical issues and seems worse when using vid_fps 1 (FPS) in Brutal Doom V21 and Don Ramon's Duke Nukem Weapons & Monsters V10b. And the assault rifle issue still exist in Brutal Doom V21 when I use the Give All Cheat the assault rifle ends up with 500 ammo and when shooting it has no sound and the weapon flashes until I switch from it and back to it and then it acts normal the sounds come back and it doesn't flash and I have 9999 ammo like I put in the ammo.txt file in Brutal Doom V21. **The weapons sounds are still remaining corrected and not missing or looping in Brutal Doom V21 or Duke Nukem Weapons & Monsters V10b which is still a plus.** Again none of these issues ever existed in GZDoom V4.7.1.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Graphical Issues Still Exist in GZDoom 4.8.2

Post by Redneckerz »

Archie Nellerridge wrote:I would like to report that in GZDoom 4.8.2 graphical issues are still occurring with with the options menu and new game menus flashing text back and forth making it impossible to do anything hardly. Also the screen wipe feature melt is still having graphical issues and seems worse when using vid_fps 1 (FPS) in Brutal Doom V21 and Don Ramon's Duke Nukem Weapons & Monsters V10b. And the assault rifle issue still exist in Brutal Doom V21 when I use the Give All Cheat the assault rifle ends up with 500 ammo and when shooting it has no sound and the weapon flashes until I switch from it and back to it and then it acts normal the sounds come back and it doesn't flash and I have 9999 ammo like I put in the ammo.txt file in Brutal Doom V21. **The weapons sounds are still remaining corrected and not missing or looping in Brutal Doom V21 or Duke Nukem Weapons & Monsters V10b which is still a plus.** Again none of these issues ever existed in GZDoom V4.7.1.
Half of these issues sound more like they come from the mod being in compatible with the latest GZ. As BD is a ongoing project, things will change.

Having said that, what is your .cfg, and your hardware?

Post by Guest »

My Computer Specs Are As Follows:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
Mobo: GA-970A-D3P (Rev 1.0)
CPU: AMD FX 8350 8 Core (4000Mhz - 4200Mhz)
Memory: 16GB
Video: Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy
SSD's: 2X Samsung EVO 860's 500GB
Power: Corsair 1000W
CD/DVD: DVD ROM, CD/DVD Writer
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The previous chronicles of this apparent problem:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75640
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75641
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75750

Unfortunately, I don't think anybody that shares your hardware setup was ever able to replicate the visual problems you're having.

Post by Guest »

Wildweasel look at forum Major Bugs In 4.8.0 graphical and sound so far. And look at morningstars10 post they showed a picture of the flashing text glitch with the options menu I was talking about. Also look at forum Graphical Issues & Sound Issues Still Exist In 4.8.1 Rachael actually shared a video of the graphical issues I'm experiencing so I'm not the only one having the issues. This video here is not mine, but someone elses, but it's the same thing I'm experiencing the video was done on a Radeon RX 460 according to the post. Mine is a Radeon RX 580. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25A9s2524jQ
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Unfortunately I have tried and tried to reproduce this issue and I still couldn't, on my RX 550.

I went as far as to create a brand new Windows 10 install, separate from that machine's main system - I updated to the latest AMD drivers (using the gaming drivers, NOT the Pro drivers), I even compiled a new copy of GZDoom from scratch on that machine and ran it with the Vulkan SDK and Vulkan debugging enabled - I cannot get any glitch to appear, whatsoever, no way, no how.

I even ran it with Brutal Doom v21. Still nothing.

So either this is a driver issue with the specific drivers you are using - or - your GPU is overheating.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Can it be Windows 7? Modern drivers are primarily made for W10 and 11.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

If the reports all come from Windows 7 systems then we need someone with W8.1 or newer to confirm they are also seeing it (with latest drivers). Windows 7 has long been out of support by Microsoft.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

DrPypsy was running Windows 10 - viewtopic.php?p=1222946#p1222946

I can try it on Windows 7 - it's been a while since I've ever run that bare metal but I think I figured out a safe way to do it without screwing up my machine.

Only problem is that machine does not have a lot of disk space available - setting aside 32+ GB for a .vhd file for a temporary OS install is a time consuming process with deciding what I have to delete to make room for it.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

No need to test Windows 7 for my sake.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

IMO testing win7 is not worth.

Post by Guest »

One part of the OP report was:
> in Brutal Doom V21 when I use the Give All Cheat the assault rifle ends up with 500 ammo and when shooting it has no sound and the weapon flashes until I switch from it and back

There really is a behavior change in GZDoom with Brutal Doom v21. When a new game is started (GZDoom -file brutalv21.pk3 -skill 4 -warp 1) the player has the "Rifle" (slot 4) as the default weapon.

In 4.7.1 if I enter "give all" to the console the player keeps the Rifle and it's ammo increases to 600. If I enter "take rifle" it's taken away.

In 4.8.2 if I enter "give all" to the console the player will momentarely switch off the Rifle and then seemingly back to it. But now it has no sound and it has 500 ammo. If I enter to the console "take rifle" the rifle looking weapon is NOT taken away. If I switch to some other weapon I can't switch back to Rifle so it was taken away after all.

Post by Guest »

I don't know what's causing these issues either. All I know the graphical issues started with GZDoom V4.8.0 and have existed in every version after that. The sound issues also started in GZDoom V4.8.0, but seem to have finally been corrected as GZDoom V.4.8.2 goes and this is all sound issues that I was having with weapon sound missing or looping. So all that exists now are the graphical issues. Anyway it's not really worth yawl beating yourselves up over it trying to get the graphical issues resolved if they can't be resolved. GZDoom V4.7.1 is working just fine for me and I guess that's what I will have to stick with. I mean besides a view FPS hiccups GZDoom V4.7.1 does everything I want it to. I just pray it'll allow me to play Brutal Doom V22 once it's released without any issues. But yea if I can't go beyond GZDoom V4.7.1 it's fine I was mostly after FPS improvements more then anything anyway not new features although new features are always nice that's not what I was after. I mean I'll continue to test as I can test new version of GZDoom, but if the graphical issues don't get resolved I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I will admit though other people might still be worried since it's effecting them as well, but me nah I'll live. I do appreciate all the hard work yawl creators/developers are doing to try and fix the issues, but if you can't you can't people will just have to understand just like I'm coming to understand and live with it. Thanks for all your efforts. Again I will continue to test when I can and if anything changes I'll let you know. Do realize yawl nailed the sound issues though with GZDoom V4.8.2 so no need to worry about that anymore just focus on the graphical issues that is if you decide you want to continue fiddling with them.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Flynn Billinghall wrote:In 4.8.2 if I enter "give all" to the console the player will momentarely switch off the Rifle and then seemingly back to it. But now it has no sound and it has 500 ammo. If I enter to the console "take rifle" the rifle looking weapon is NOT taken away. If I switch to some other weapon I can't switch back to Rifle so it was taken away after all.
After you enter "give all", put in "printinv" and see if you have an "AssaultGun" in your inventory. If you do, this phantom rifle is most likely the Strife AssaultGun actor, that GZDoom is "incorrectly" adding to your inventory because it coincidentally shares the same sprite names as Brutal's.

Post by Guest »

That's right, the AssaultGun is the last numbered item on the list:

AssaultGun #107 (1/1)

And it doesn't appear on the list in GZDoom 4.7.1.

Return to “Technical Issues”