No sound on GZdoom v4.7.1 (openal error??)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
pointblank

No sound on GZdoom v4.7.1 (openal error??)

Post by pointblank »

Running Linux Mint, latest version. Have had gzdoom installed for a long time as flatpak, but sound recently stopped working, i think when i had to reinstall zandronum for an unrelated issue. now i am trying the apt package of gzdoom (which is actually a newer version than the flatpak version), but neither has working sound or music. i have tried cleaning out ~/.config/gzdoom, purging all residual files, reinstalling, and removing wads & mods.

here are the errors i get:

Code: Select all

S_Init: Setting up sound.
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_contextStateCallback: Received context failure!
AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_connectStream: Stream did not get ready: Connection terminated
 Could not open audio device
Sound init failed. Using nosound.
I have tried selecting different midi devices in the in-game sound menu, but to no avail. right now, i have fluidsynth selected.

the openal related packages i have installed via apt:

libopenal-data
libopenal-dev
libopenal1
libopenal1:i386
openal-info (i think this one is useless)
please help!! :!: :(
pointblank

Re: No sound on GZdoom v4.7.1 (openal error??)

Post by pointblank »

i've spent a few hours now, trying to figure out why sound works on my other Linux Mint computer, but not my main one. Comparing apt packages, looking at /etc/openal/alsoft.conf, trying different downloads of gzdoom... this is looking hopeless. not how i want to spend my christmas eve lol. i'll check back in a few days.
pointblank

Post by pointblank »

quick update:
reinstalling the flatpak version, and launching via terminal w/ flatpak run org.zdoom.GZDoom results in the following errors (slightly different from the deb package errors)

S_Init: Setting up sound.
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
 Could not open audio device
Sound init failed. Using nosound.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Sounds like flatpak permission problems, what if you just compiled GZDoom yourself and ran it locally instead?

I always read about flatpak ran stuff having all sorts of permission issues with accessing sound devices and even the PulseAudio/PipeWire server that I don't see happen if you had just built the software yourself and run it outside of flatpak's weird sandboxing.

AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_contextStateCallback: Received context failure!
AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_connectStream: Stream did not get ready: Connection terminated
These two lines right here definitely sound like running this from flatpak it's unable to access the cookie needed to access the PulseAudio server.
pointblank

Post by pointblank »

yes, a flatpak permission issue was one of my guesses too, except it occurred with the deb package too...

BUT

pipewire got an update and both versions work flawlessly now. i guess patience was the solution here.
thank you for your time. 😅

Return to “Technical Issues”