Odd menu issue on (L/G)ZDoom

Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Lately, I've been having an odd issue with ZDoom and its derived ports where it seems to register Escape, Enter and `/~ inputs twice, leading to the menu instantly closing itself unless I hold the Escape key, and locking off the console entirely.

I've used multiple keyboards to check for hardware issues, nada. I've installed and reinstalled multiple versions, GZDoom 4.5.0, dev builds, LZDoom, even base ZDoom all share this issue. It doesn't happen on any other port or any other game, and multiple input testing sites only return one normal keypress.

Interestingly, I rebound the console to J, and found that opening it with J actually then typed J in the console, then left it open as it interpreted it as text instead of an action. Furthermore, this issue only seems to occur when the menu's *closed*, meaning that -- after holding ESC to open it -- it closes just fine, but trying to reopen it doesn't work.

I don't have any solid theories, but this issue only really showed up after I updated to Win10 20H2, which miiiight be the cause but I can't really test that. I initially thought it might be my new keyboard, but the issue happens on both my new board AND my laptop's keyboard, so I'm at a loss.

Re: Odd menu issue on (L/G)ZDoom

Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:37 pm

I've been meaning to add to this since I realized I posted this while logged out, FML. Anyway, I went through and started killing processes that weren't important, no change. I also tried unplugging every external device on my laptop, still happens. For a while, the issue only occurred after my computer had been to sleep at least once, but now it's doing it from a fresh boot, where opening the menu'll be spotty for a second before it starts doing this again. I'm... seriously at a loss. This essentially renders GZDoom unplayable, and it also makes testing a mod I was working on an absolute pain.