LZdoom error

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:36 pm

cpu: xeon e5450
graphic:gt220 512mb
ram:2gb ddr3
c000005 error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LZdoom error

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:51 am

It crashes in OpenAL. That's as far as we can get with the crash log.
Is this the DLL that got shipped with LZDoom or some fallback solution for XP?

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:49 am

That's not a bug, XP is no longer supported as i said long ago. I already mentioned it in the release thread. It will run replacing the shipped dll with one from a previous LZDoom or GZDoom 32 bit version such as 3.87b.
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:36 am

drfrag wrote:That's not a bug, XP is no longer supported as i said long ago. I already mentioned it in the release thread. It will run replacing the shipped dll with one from a previous LZDoom or GZDoom 32 bit version such as 3.87b.

And this clearly shows that even with the best of efforts, XP support has become a futile endeavour for most software as more and more third party dependencies are no longer available for it.
While in this case the old DLL may still work, there have been changes to the sound code recently, that would actually break with an older, less featured version of OpenAL.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:19 am

Now that i remember the latest official OpenAL release still runs on XP AFAIK since Chris compiles them with MinGW. But it came out after the LZDoom release.
https://openal-soft.org/openal-binaries ... .1-bin.zip
You'd need to rename it to OpenAL32.dll tough.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:48 pm

I downloaded openal32 from openal official site, and copied it from System32. It works! This method seems to be helpful for Windows XP users. By the way, does this library support sound from the latest build? You said openal32 in 3.87b is broken...

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:38 am

No, LZDoom uses OpenAL-soft and not the ancient and obsolete OpenAL by Creative. So either you download it from the link i posted above or you get it from 3.87b. I never said it was broken.