gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:48 pm

on windows with a high refresh rate monitor (>60hz) gzdoom will force the monitor to go into 59.940hz mode if you enable fullscreen regardless of vsync/max fps/etc. settings

this causes a delay as the monitor synchronizes the settings when launching, but besides that, restricts gzdoom to running at 60fps in fullscreen, which kind of defeats the point of using fullscreen

there should certainly either be an option to change the refresh rate used in fullscreen or it should just use the monitor's highest (or even whatever was applied before launching)

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:09 am

I don't have this issue, my new monitor stays at 144 Hz while GZDoom is running. Maybe this only affects AMD graphics cards?

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:35 am

This sounds like a driver or window manager bug. As far as I know, GZDoom only supports borderless and does not set video modes anymore.

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:23 am

phantombeta wrote:This sounds like a driver or window manager bug. As far as I know, GZDoom only supports borderless and does not set video modes anymore.

considering there is only one driver and one window manager on windows i would hope this not to be the case

Player701 wrote:I don't have this issue, my new monitor stays at 144 Hz while GZDoom is running. Maybe this only affects AMD graphics cards?

might be? but did you set the game to fullscreen with the vulkan renderer enabled? those are the exact circumstances where it changes

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:28 am

Marrub wrote:might be? but did you set the game to fullscreen with the vulkan renderer enabled? those are the exact circumstances where it changes

Yes, I'm using Vulkan and I'm playing in fullscreen. The monitor is running at 144 Hz as expected, and the OSD confirms that.

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:35 am

Player701 wrote:
Marrub wrote:might be? but did you set the game to fullscreen with the vulkan renderer enabled? those are the exact circumstances where it changes

Yes, I'm using Vulkan and I'm playing in fullscreen. The monitor is running at 144 Hz as expected, and the OSD confirms that.

yeah it must be an AMD issue then. though i don't know what would possibly cause that, i'm using stock settings on my drivers

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:42 am

Are you on Windows at the moment? (You've put in your profile Linux, but you're talking in this thread like Windows, so I am not sure)

And if you are - is your display driver set up to adjust the resolution for lower resolution modes? If so - set it to Display scaling.

I don't have an ATI/AMD but I can use my Intel control panel to illustrate what I mean. There should be something similar in ATI/AMD.

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:57 am

The vulkan backend does not use the vulkan exclusive fullscreen feature.

All that GZDoom does (both OpenGL and Vulkan) is to remove the window decorations (title bar, borders, etc.) and position the window to exactly cover the screen. Windows detects this, turns the DWM off and renders directly to the screen. If there is any change in refresh rate then that's either an issue with Windows or the display driver as GZDoom doesn't request any mode switches. My best guess is it is an AMD driver bug - try upgrade the driver and if that doesn't help then report the issue to AMD. Or report it to Microsoft. In any case, it isn't a bug in GZDoom that's for sure.

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Rachael wrote:Are you on Windows at the moment? (You've put in your profile Linux, but you're talking in this thread like Windows, so I am not sure)

yes, I'm on windows, i mainly test things on linux though

Rachael wrote:And if you are - is your display driver set up to adjust the resolution for lower resolution modes? If so - set it to Display scaling.

there's no such option anywhere in the radeon control panel, it doesn't manage displays at all except the ability to scale the display or globally enable vsync (both of which i have disabled)

dpJudas wrote:Windows detects this, turns the DWM off and renders directly to the screen. If there is any change in refresh rate then that's either an issue with Windows or the display driver as GZDoom doesn't request any mode switches.

it seems unlikely that it isn't an issue with gzdoom as it is the only game on my entire system that does this

dpJudas wrote:My best guess is it is an AMD driver bug - try upgrade the driver and if that doesn't help then report the issue to AMD.

it's consistent across driver versions (including the latest, which i have installed)

Re: gzdoom sets monitor refresh rate to 60hz in fullscreen

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:11 pm

also while i'm here i should mention another issue: for some reason, across drivers and operating systems, vulkan gzdoom rotates everything drawn in 2d slightly, which is immensely distressing, as my wife's computer doesn't do this at all under the exact same circumstances (but a different GPU which is nvidia)

it's most noticeable with high contrast density fonts like the one used in lithium: