Disappearing of a files from HDD

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:28 am

Recently I discovered that some files from my hard drive have disappeared. Mostly old files, i.e. files that was created 5-6-7-etc. years ago. More recent files are still there.
It was mostly music, since around 6 years ago I switched from my old Nokia slider (5300) to Androiphone, so I was able to copy my computer music library to the phone and stop updating it in PC. Disappeared not only music. For example old Gzdoom release, along with specific files from the time when I downloaded BEWRTAL DEUM pack without knowing much what it is, also disappeared. Same for photos waaay back in time from school.

"Maybe you just accidentally delete them?!" Impossible. I use specific program to delete files for sure (by filling them with zeros on hard drive), but file recovery program (Recuva in this case) shows that its possible to restore them.
new.png

Spoiler: For those who interested what there on screenshot

"Okay then maybe someone used you PC?!" Again, impossible, since I live alone. Unless there are exist file deleting hackers/poltergeists.

While Im able to recover most, if not all, of lost data, what was that? Some virus? HDD preparing to "leave in the country of eternal hunt"? Some bug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Disappearing of a files from HDD

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:39 am

HDD failure or Windows bug i think

Re: Disappearing of a files from HDD

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:00 am

From the Windows Exporter, right click on your hard drive, click Properties, and under the Tools tab, run Error Checking. It's possible that this is where the files have gone.