(LZDoom) Extreme performance drops

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:49 pm

Until a few days ago, I was able to run basically anything I wanted in LZDoom freely, with the only performance issues manifesting when there is a good reason, i.e. large amounts of detail being rendered or heavy game activity. But now more recently, my game will occasionally be hit with severe drops in frame rate that render the game unplayable for about a minute at a time. These drops also cause the sound to distort and get choppy, which does not happen in any other case. The most bizarre part of this, however, is trying to figure out what it could even be. It does not seem to have anything to do with what map I'm on, though it seems to be more frequent on larger maps; I can wait out the performance hit whether or not the game is paused, and it does not go away if I load from a save file. I have also checked outside of the game and it does not seem to be the result of some unrelated process interrupting my game.
Whenever a drop first appears in a map, it seems to be bound to happen again as long as that map is running. They seem to become more frequent as time goes on, and they eventually become so severe that the sound gets choppy even when the game is paused. I removed the mod file that I had added just before this issue started up, thinking it was the cause, but it seems to be following my game no matter where I go.
If it helps, I am running the latest version of LZDoom (3.87b) in software truecolor mode. My system is using an Intel Core i5 M520 and an HD Graphics chipset. This is just my conjecture, but I don't believe the chipset should be the problem since I am using software rendering.

Re: (LZDoom) Extreme performance drops

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Did you update an Intel driver?

There are known issues with Intel's. However, since you mention it worked fine before, a intermediate system update must have occurred.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:39 pm

My device drivers have been up to date for as long as I can remember. My machine's components are old enough that most of them have probably received all of the updates they'll ever get.

It could have been some invisible update to my Windows, though the only updates my system has received in the past week or so did not touch anything relevant to graphics or gameplay.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:58 am

Truecolor software is demanding but are you loading lights.pk3 now and not before? If so don't load them, there was a bug related to that.
But most likely it's something running in the background, either your web browser or windows defender.