Menu works, but freezes when launching game.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Menu works, but freezes when launching game.

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I have a Mac Mini late 2012 (I know, I know) that I Bootcamp into Windows 10. I am able to run QuakeSpasm, Yamagi Quake 2, and ioquake3 perfectly. However, I am not able to run GZDoom or Doom. The menu system works, but when attempting to launch the game, the music continues, but the menu freezes and the game doesn't launch. I can run in Software, very laggy, but not accelerated by OpenGL or Vulkan.

GZDoom version 4.4.2
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Driver Version 10.18.10.4252

Windows and Apple Software Update tell me I am all up to date.

Interestingly, I can play the MacOS port of GZDoom perfectly, but not in Windows! Any ideas? Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Menu works, but freezes when launching game.

Post by wildweasel »

I wonder if it is anything to do with texture precaching. Try finding that in gzdoom's options menu (there should be an Option Search function) and disabling that. If the game now starts, then the issue may be that your video hardware is just taking too long to precache all the graphics.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I wonder if I'm having the same issue.

In my case I never had texture precaching on.

Does the game work if you use -warp?
Verfata
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Verfata »

Matt wrote:I wonder if I'm having the same issue.

In my case I never had texture precaching on.

Does the game work if you use -warp?
I'm having the same issue, (k)Ubuntu 20.04 LTS; warp works, but crashes using nextmap or just any map change. It's a fresh install as well, pre-caching on or off doesn't change anything.
I 9/10 times get a report identical to this from KDialog, hopefully it can help:
https://pastebin.com/P9yqiNzR
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Verfata wrote:I'm having the same issue, (k)Ubuntu 20.04 LTS; warp works, but crashes using nextmap or just any map change. It's a fresh install as well, pre-caching on or off doesn't change anything.
I 9/10 times get a report identical to this from KDialog, hopefully it can help:
https://pastebin.com/P9yqiNzR
It’s a completely different issue. The problem is in FluidSynth supplied with Ubuntu 20.04. Workaround is to switch MIDI device to TiMidity++ in Sound Options menu.
Verfata
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Verfata »

Huh, sounded like the same issue but I guess not; thanks anyway.

Return to “Technical Issues”