Gameplay flags don't save after quit game

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm

I want to disable freelook, jump, and crouch permanently so I check them to 'OFF' in gameplay settings. However, when I quit the game they don't get saved and dmflags get reset to 0. This is quite frustrating, how do I fix?

Re: Gameplay flags don't save after quit game

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:15 pm

This is intentional. If you want certain flags to always apply you have to create an autoexec.cfg file for them.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 am

I solved this by adding

Code:
[Doom.ConsoleVariables]
dmflags=4521984

to the gzdoom .ini

is this a stable solution as well or should I rather create autoexec?

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 am

You should create an autoexec because that variable will only last for one run. After the next one it's gone again.

The autoexec is incredibly easy, you're making it much harder than it really is. It's a simple file with just this in it:
Code:
dmflags 4521984

That's it. Plus whatever else you want it to change when it starts up.

Make sure when you create the file that it has an actual .cfg extension. Windows hides extensions by default, so it's likely to have a hidden .txt extension on the end of it. You'll have to either disable extension hiding, or use a command prompt to change it.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Okay, thanks for your reply. It indeed disappeared after one launch, I got excited too quickly. Your solution works permanently.
Although to be honest, this is somewhat counter-intuitive that gameplay options are the only ones that silently go into oblivion on game quit.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:34 pm

I will be completely honest - I am not going to feel particularly strongly if dmflags is changed to archive with the config or remains the way it is now. I personally use the autoexec.cfg method, myself, to set the options I want. I do understand it's extra steps for a regular user though, and not everyone has the comfort level with the engine or the underlying system as I do.

Normally I would suggest making a feature suggestion to change it, mainly to pass it by Graf's approval, but I have a strong feeling that I already know what the response will be.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:21 pm

To be honest, I have no idea what the reason for not saving those is. This predates my involvement with the engine by many years.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:23 pm

I'd always just assumed that they were things that were considered useful primarily for specific game session or specific mods but which could cause unexpected behaviour if left on all of the time.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:28 pm

As long as there's a "reset to defaults" it should be fine. We already get bogus reports from people using wonky brightness and saturation settings, anyhow. So adding dmflags archiving is only going to be one more thing they complain about before they discover they can reset their options to default.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:42 pm

masterkark wrote:Okay, thanks for your reply. It indeed disappeared after one launch, I got excited too quickly. Your solution works permanently.
Although to be honest, this is somewhat counter-intuitive that gameplay options are the only ones that silently go into oblivion on game quit.

It makes sense, because if you are playing DM and then go back to Single Player then it's going to be very weird that weapons stay and items respawn in single player.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:04 pm

Sorry for reviving an old thread, I had a related question and wasn't sure whether it was better to create a new thread or append to this existing one.

I was also wondering how to get DMflags to stick, and the autoexec.cfg solution works wonderfully (thank you Rachael!). I'm now wondering how the system works and whether that could create incompatibilities with wads that specify their own gameplay settings. If such a wad introduces its own DMflag, would that replace the ones I set in autoexec.cfg, or would they additively merge and therefore only affect my presets if they target the same specific options?