Bizzarre return to title screen, controls not responding bug

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:55 pm

I was playing the latest version of GZDoom when all of a sudden the title screen popped up and I received a default beep sound. It then went back to the game as if nothing had happened. Any ideas?

Re: Bizzarre return to title screen, controls not responding

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 pm

This is way too vague - so no, no ideas.

There's LOTS of vital info missing here. No list of mods, no description of the computer and its hardware and its operating system, nothing.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 pm

I figured it was an engine issue, I have done every malware scan, every system scan, everything. Nothing to suggest something was amiss. I can't see how the hardware would enter into it. I'm running Windows 10 and everything is up to date.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 pm

We can't fix a bug where there's literally no info. Sorry, but you're going to have to put in a *LOT* more detail than that. Even if you think we don't need it - we need it at the very least to rule it out ourselves.

- List of mods, either autoloaded or pulled in via -file
- Screenshots of what is actually happening? Your description just doesn't cut it.
- What is your GPU? Are you running OpenGL mode or not?
- 32-bit or 64-bit?
- Pretty much everything else that has to do with what is happening.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 pm

No mods are installed.
NVIDIA GTX 970 SSC.
Running in OpenGL mode.
64 bit mode.
8 GB RAM
256GB SSD

All it did was suddenly revert to the titlescreen, no menu, Windows made the default beep sound every time I pressed a key. Quickly went back to the game within a few seconds. Will try and reproduce it again.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 pm

If it's beeping, it's clearly a kernel issue, or an issue with a HID (Human Interface Device) driver. I don't know why it is exiting to the title screen, though, with no menu.

As far as I know, in Windows, the kernel does not enjoy the same kind of memory protection that your programs in user-land do. So if a driver is misbehaving, it can cause problems with the entire system, especially if there is any sort of memory corruption. I would double check to see if all drivers are up to date, the computer is free of malware, and that you are not running any alpha/beta/untested drivers that could have bad memory addressing bugs.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:12 pm

It could be a HID issue. On the odd occasion I would get the beeping issue in Chrome, as well as randomly opened links. Very rarely though. Naturally I did a complete system scan on all fronts, malware, rootkit, system file checker, chkdsk, memory diagnostics, you name it. No malware was found, despite running various programs. It could be the same thing.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Isn't this just what happens when you alt-tab an OpenGL exclusive window and then hop back in? It causes Windows to draw whatever it saw last, which would be the title screen (how else do you have it going from the title screen and then back to the game?) again if that was the last time he alt-tabbed, and would also explain the beep if he pressed a no-op button after changing focus to a different window.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:37 pm

Well if it's not malware (note: it's impossible to completely rule that out, as no program has 100% malware signatures and new malware appears every day), then it's likely a driver issue. In this case, it's important to know every single keyboard, mouse, gamepad, graphing pen, touch screens, whatever, that is connected to the system. Anything that allows your system to accept input from any device. What's most important is knowing exactly what driver they are using.

We need a dxdiag report. I just pulled in the info from GZDoom's old forum on how to do that - here.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:48 pm

I've attached a dxdiag log for your reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 am

Your drivers look nothing out of the ordinary, which leads me to believe there may be system file corruption.

There's two commands you should know - and how you use them and what you do with them is up to you. But you should know what they do, first, before you decide to execute them.
Code:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This repairs your Windows Installation files - this is the source of your drivers before they get installed. The files are compared with Microsoft's copies directly, and if any inconsistencies are found Microsoft sends you a correct version for your operating system to use later.

Code:
sfc /scannow

This checks your actual system files against the previously mentioned installation data. Running these two commands in order helps to ensure that your system's files are not damaged in any way, and can sometimes help fix these kinds of "strange" issues.

-

Failing all that, there's also the option of doing either a fresh or repair install directly from the installation media. This is a bit of a last resort, but in this case, your DxDiag info does not tell me that there's anything which should cause your system to misbehave as it is. So it's the only thing I can recommend, if repairing your system files does not work. Others on this forum may have other advice or experience they can offer in these types of situation, though, so it's worth it to continue watching this thread to see if anyone else responds.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:14 am

Thanks for that. I knew about System File Checker, but the first one is a newbie to me. I'll give it a go.