Simple Immersive Visor HUD

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
iamthemithras2

Simple Immersive Visor HUD

Post by iamthemithras2 »

Hello. This is a simple HUD mod that makes it feel like we're looking directly from Doomguy's helmet. I made this HUD because I don't see anyone making something like this - a straightforward immersive HUD that can be used for other mods as well. This is my first mod though, and I took assets from an old Doomguy visor mod, and screen graphics from Brutal Doom.

This is purely for immersion purposes - there are no health, or ammo counters on the screen - just the edges of your helmet's visor, configurable backlight (either armor or health based), and on-screen blood effects.

This is perfect for realistic CQB gameplay mods as well - no more telling how much ammo is left in the mag - you gotta start remembering how much ammo a gun can take.

Features: (Settings can be configured in the menu)
  • * No Ammo / Health counter
    * On-screen blood effects - You can tell how much health you've lost by the amount of blood on your visor:
    • 75 HP - few blood splatters
      50 HP - more blood
      25 HP - a lot of blood splatters
    * Configurable Backlight - Either Health or Armor based. (Blue backlight if you have more than 100 HP, to simulate the effect of having bonus HP / or Green or Blue backlight depending on armor points)
    • HP Based - Blue Backlight over 100 HP, to simulate the effect of having bonus HP (gotta love those blue health bonuses!)
      Armor Based - Green or Blue backlight depending on armor points (Green for at least 1, Blue for more than 100)
    * Configurable Shape - Either a Classic Doomguy helmet style, or a V-Style visor (Basically removes the nose)
    * Optionally view current keys / skulls - change the size of the HUD from fullscreen, to normal (the - and + keys)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
This mod is actually made through SBARINFO, I don't know how to work through zscript yet but maybe I'll do that next time. This is my first mod, so don't eat me or anything. But let me know if there are issues, or if you have feedback or recommendations.

Credits:
Doomguy Visor Status Bar (originally) by Mike12
Blood and cracked screen graphics from SgtMarkIV (Brutal Doom)
Attachments
doomvisor-v1a-simple1.pk3
(89.32 KiB) Downloaded 1291 times
Last edited by iamthemithras2 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Simple Immersive Visor HUD

Post by cosmos10040 »

Is this only 4:3? I played on deltatouch and it has a high resolution. Will you make a more wide screen version?
iamthemithras2

Post by iamthemithras2 »

It's 16:9. Actually, 4:3 doesn't work well now that you mentioned it, I just remembered I didn't port over the code to work with 4:3

It should work! The screenshots I attached are all 16:9. Check your settings.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

So i checked this out again. I changed my radio to 16:9 but it seems it doesn't have the required length to the bottom no matter the ratio. Here's a screenshot. Trying to attach me screen shot but it's not letting me.
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

iamthemithras2 wrote:...
Great work on this & thanks to this i made a lightweight version to my liking, but any chance you can make it work on LZDoom also? it's weird it doesn't work to begin with :(
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Wow, this is fantastic. The only thing I *might* want to see to keep this functional yet still immersive is some kinda key that would display a text like "X amount of (ammo) left" in the reserve

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”