BLUDTYPE for NashGore NEXT

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

BLUDTYPE for NashGore NEXT

Post by Nash »

Spoiler: I don't want to read, just give me the damn links!
WHAT IS THIS?

When you play some mods with NashGore NEXT, NashGore's blood effects fail to appear. This is because said mods overwrite the game's blood actors with their own. Even if nashgore.pk3 is loaded last.

The solution is BLUDTYPE.TXT, a file that is loaded after nashgore.pk3 that serves as a sort of "patch" to enable NashGore's blood effects with said mods.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

BLUDTYPE.TXT is a plain text file that simply lists down the names of Actors that its intended to be replaced. For example, Smooth Doom's blood actors are called "XBlood", "GreenBlood" and "BlueBlood". Under normal circumstances, these will always take precedence even with NashGore loaded last. So to add support for Smooth Doom with NashGore, BLUDTYPE.TXT with the following contents is created:

Code: Select all

XBlood
BlueBlood
GreenBlood
This file (bludtype.txt) is then loaded after nashgore.pk3. Easy peazy!

I'D LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE!

Good, that's what I was waiting for YOU, the community Doom slayer, to say. Even if you didn't want to say that, you do now!

There are so many mods out there that it's simply impossible for me to find them all. If you know of any mods that need additional support, there are two ways you can contribute:

1) Simply post - in this thread - the name of the mod you'd like to add support for, and the names of their respective blood actors. This will probably take longer to get noticed and added.
2) If you are comfortable with Github, send me a PULL REQUEST! The chances of it getting added are better. Feel free to send me PRs of submissions that are posted in this forum thread but aren't added into the repository yet. Help your friends!

Please follow the formatting style when sending PRs:

// Name Of Mod - added by <your name>
BloodActor1
BloodActor2

Do NOT add any another comments other than the mod name (and your name of course, heheheh)

ENOUGH TALK, HAVE AT YOU!

> BLUDTYPE.TXT <
> Github <

Wanna chat about my mods? Join my studio's Discord server, Mischief Donut!

I spend an uncountable amount of hours making mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon for cool benefits!
Last edited by Nash on Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:53 am, edited 10 times in total.
cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: BLUDTYPE for Nash's Gore Mod Vengeance Edition

Post by cubebert »

Here's some blood actors from the DoomRL Arsenal monster pack.

// DoomRL Arsenal Monster Pack - added by cubebert
RLNashGore_Blood
RLNashGore_CyberBlood
RLNashGore_BossBlood
RLNashGore_TechVileBlood
RLSpectreBlood
On a side note, is it possible to implement a way to replace a gib actor with one from Nashgore's just like with BLUDTYPE? For example, if a monster calls for an actor named "MonsterGib1" on its XDeath state, it will be replaced with "NashGoreGibs" instead and spawn a random gib.
Nash

Post by Nash »

cubebert wrote:Here's some blood actors from the DoomRL Arsenal monster pack.

// DoomRL Arsenal Monster Pack - added by cubebert
RLNashGore_Blood
RLNashGore_CyberBlood
RLNashGore_BossBlood
RLNashGore_TechVileBlood
RLSpectreBlood
On a side note, is it possible to implement a way to replace a gib actor with one from Nashgore's just like with BLUDTYPE? For example, if a monster calls for an actor named "MonsterGib1" on its XDeath state, it will be replaced with "NashGoreGibs" instead and spawn a random gib.
Thanks, file updated.

I'll see what I can do about gib replacement in future...
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Sirus made a Bludtype patch a long time ago for HDest, gonna repost it here.

// Hideous Destructor - added by Sirus
BloodSplat
BloodSplatSilent
MegaBloodSplatter
HDMasterBlood
CacoShellBlood
sibullski

Post by sibullski »

// Complex Doom - added by sibullski
BlackBlood
OrangeBlood
PurpleBlood
Although this mostly works there are still some original gore effects from complex doom such as blood mist with some monsters and sometimes strange gibbing
Also it's important to note that BlueBlood and GreenBlood would also be included in this bludtype but for the sake of this thread those are already in the downloadable bloodtype for smooth doom so I didn't include them.
OverDriver05

Post by OverDriver05 »

Here's mine! This one is from dbthanatos' D4T: Death Foretold as of its latest update:

// D4T: Death Foretold - added by OverDriver05
D4TBlood
BloodGibDropper
BloodGibDropperBig
BloodGib1
BloodGib2
BloodGib3
BloodGib4
BloodCloud
BloodCloudMediumBig
BloodCloudBig
BloodParticle
BloodParticleSmall
NoBloodPuff
Hope this helps!
Nash

Post by Nash »

Added Hideous Destructor, Complex Doom and D4T. Thank you ZikShadow, Sirus, sibullski and OverDriver05!
ValeriePalerie

Post by ValeriePalerie »

I'm having no luck getting this to work; have tried loading the .zip and the .txt files independently, always after nashgore and always after the mod in question, and neither DRLA monsters nor Hideous Destructor saw any changes. Tried with both the latest devbuild of GZDoom and 4.4.2
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

This might possibly be in some way related to the "delete that weird character that gets added at the end" line in BuildBloodTypes. I am assuming this is because you locally saved the file with windows line endings ("\r\n") and were weirded out that there was this strange trailing character added to everything. Well, when you push something to github, line endings are automatically converted to unix style ("\n") for the sake of universality, which breaks your code. Converting the bludtype.txt file locally on my end to have "\r\n" endings makes blood get replaced as expected.

Isn't multiplatform development amazing?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah I don't get that issue on my Windows 10 machine. It's always worked for me. I'll have to look more into that, based on what Marisa described, later when I have some time.

EDIT: do I understand correctly that the line endings break when the file is edited on Github? If that's the case, all I'd have to do is reupload the file from my local source, right?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

When parsing text files you have to explicitly discard any CR ('\r') from the input - and only '\r'.
Never *ever* write text parsers that depend on a specific line ending format.
That said, I think we really need to export FScanner to ZScript.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:This might possibly be in some way related to the "delete that weird character that gets added at the end" line in BuildBloodTypes. I am assuming this is because you locally saved the file with windows line endings ("\r\n") and were weirded out that there was this strange trailing character added to everything. Well, when you push something to github, line endings are automatically converted to unix style ("\n") for the sake of universality, which breaks your code. Converting the bludtype.txt file locally on my end to have "\r\n" endings makes blood get replaced as expected.

Isn't multiplatform development amazing?
I just did a fresh checkout of the repo to my desktop and the EOLs in bludtype.txt appear to already be CR LF. And indeed running it, the blood actors are correctly parsed.

How is it that people are ending up with the file being in Unix LF?
Luciatel

Post by Luciatel »

Oh my god thanks for this I was getting sad when it was not working in my Doom RPG with Doom RL Monsterpack.
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

Thanks for this one , great to be able to enjoy other mods with my favorite gore mod :) Couple of questions here if possible ;

1)Could I use this with Colorful Hell or Shades of Doom ? Does anyone know the needed inputs for these modes ?

2)I hear DRLA monsters uses a old version of Nashgore , and I tried overwriting it with the latest version using bludtype.txt

The 'clean up gore' button clears the blood & gibs as fine , so can I assume that the Nashgore is overwritten as intended ?

Should I turn off 'fancy gore effects' in DRLA monsters options ? (turning off seems to turn off all the effects for some reason

Best regards,
generic name guy
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by generic name guy »

Is there a way to change the color for this? i made a Selaco bludtype but the wall blood is purple and the floor blood is red.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”