Re: WidePix v1.1 (Heretic and Hexen update!) [GZDoom 4.6.0]

Sun May 23, 2021 8:34 am

NightFright wrote:*Update*
A variant that could be considered for the Heretic statusbar would be to have the bar end on both sides with the skulls (instead of continuing the dark background bar beyond their original limits). I thought that looked quite cool on other variants before. The horns could stay they way they are now, though.

That was how it was, before I added the stone background. I can reinstate it, if there's enough people who prefer that. :D

Sun May 23, 2021 8:48 am

Well, I integrated your new versions into my Fullscreen Statusbar Mod and realized that in Heretic especially, it looks better if it ends with the skulls. For a general purpose HUD, your approach is better since in normal viewmode, there will be gaps you will want to have covered. For that mod specifically, we only use fullscreen mode, so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Just check the screenshots and you'll see what I mean.

Personally I'd keep the current version in the GZD resource file, but it would be nice to have that other variant for specific purposes like mine.

Sun May 23, 2021 8:56 am

Well, yeah, I agree, it looks cooler with just the skulls at the end. However, in GZDoom, the skulls mesh badly with the green border texture, which happened to be the reason I added the dark background.

If you insist, feel free to just erase the background pixels :D Unfortunately, due short sightedness on my part, I saved the graphic as a single PNG (I lost the individual layers), so I couldn't provide you a clean source file...

Sun May 23, 2021 9:05 am

I would have to cut out parts of the statusbar anyway since it needs to work with transparency, and some overlapping elements would be in the way. My skills regarding gfx editing are limited, but simply removing parts could still be possible, even though getting it straight from the source is always the best option.

Sun May 23, 2021 9:14 am

Actually, scratch what I said. You're in luck. I found this lying around. :D

Sun May 23, 2021 9:25 am

Awesome, thanks! That saves me a lot of work. Would have also been tricky since the transition between skulls and bar is not that easy to spot.

Here's what it looks like ingame:

(Offset is 24/0 btw, just in case anybody needs to know.)

Sun May 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Wasn't aware that the frost shards sprites were very short, so I extended it downwards. Will be in the next version of GZDoom.

Sun May 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Should solve that issue with size-reduced statusbars once and for all. Great work!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:00 am

Out of curiosity, what's the current state of things here with the still missing parts (i.e. Strife, Hacx and Harmony)?

Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:55 pm

Perhaps a wide version of the No Rest for the Living interpic?

https://imgur.com/1GRCOIn

Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:42 am

Just dropping in to say work will resume Monday onwards. I intend to complete the Strife pack within the next 2 weeks! Let's-a-goooooo

EDIT:

Here we goooooo

EDIT 2:

[images removed, see next 2 posts]
Last edited by Nash on Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:13 am

Nice. So hopefully we can do a 4.7 release with most of this being complete. :)

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:12 am

Strife is now fully widescreen-ified and included with GZDoom 4.7.0!

Re: WidePix v1.2 (Strife update!!!) [GZDoom 4.7.0]

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:05 am

Very nice Nash. Excellent work.

Re: WidePix v1.2 (Strife update!!!) [GZDoom 4.7.0]

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:58 am

Boss work, Nash! Looks awesome! Is it rude to ask if there's any way to use them in Strife VE?