WidePix v1.3 [complete/final] - GZDoom 4.7.1

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: [WIP] WidePix: 16:9/21:9 Graphics Replacement Project

Post by Nash »

Just thinking aloud, instead of TITLEPIC_1CE294781A2455DE72C197E0B3DF621A.png, how about a "filter folder style" setup so that more than just graphics patches can be replaced based on MD5 hash?

Or would that be too troublesome to make a generic "replace any lump by hash" feature? I mean if you're going to add a feature, might as well make it robust... ?
Gez

Post by Gez »

That reminds me that Chocolate Doom uses a hash system for its music pack configuration files.
Donowa

Post by Donowa »

I modified Scuba Steve's Doom 1 Titlepic, and added more monsters. (they're hard to see, so maybe brighten the sprites a little.)
Repost cause i accidentally deleted the original.
BTW, how did you get that cropping? With Steve's, it only letterboxes the images.
Attachments
TITLEPICNULL.png
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Scuba Steve wrote:Enjoy.

Edit: Oh, right, It's not a big deal, but I didn't adhere to Nash's project goal of unaltered original 4:3 images for this fan-made episode interpic. I figured since it's already unofficial, it doesn't really matter.
Sorry to bump this thread, just wanted to say good job. :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

Apparently there's now an official version of this (but just for 16:9) in the Unity ports.
https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/art ... eptember-3
For the first time in an official port, the original DOOM renderer has been modified to natively render 16:9 without any letterboxing. The FOV has been increased to reveal more image on the side instead of chopping off the top and bottom. All new 16:9 versions of the titlescreen, intermission, and ending screens have been added. Many of our Add-Ons have also had widescreen support added, so download the latest version from the Add-Ons listing to check it out!
Nash

Post by Nash »

I made a quick comparison between my pack and the Unity ones and it seems that they make changes to the original 4:3 portion of the image. At the end of the day it just boils down to user preference, I suppose.

Also, yeah, my pack covers 21:9 so there's that...

ALSO, it has come to my attention that this monitor/aspect ratio exists... maybe in future, we'll see. >8]
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

The current id widescreen release came directly from this thread and the work I did for Nash, but I couldn't talk about it until now. id wanted some additional changes to title screens and wasn't concerned with preservation of the original 4:3 so there are minor differences between the id ones and those in this project but they are essentially the same. Part of the agreement is that id will allow use of all these widescreen images for use in any nonprofit widescreen mods—exactly like Nash's—so the release of the widescreen images in this mod can proceed just as they always have.

The main differences between the official widescreen images and the ones that were done for this widescreen project are...
  • This project is 21:9 whereas the id ones are cropped to 16:9
  • This project makes NO changes to the original 4:3 images... there are tiny changes to the official release to make them just a bit cleaner.
  • The official release makes significant changes to the title screens of Doom 1/2; removal of the id logo and minor pixel cleanup in the logos... and removal of the blue blob!
  • You will never see the "CREDIT" widescreen images in the official port, since the old credit screens do not exist... but you will using this one!
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Scuba Steve wrote:
  • You will never see the "CREDIT" widescreen images in the official port, since the old credit screens do not exist... but you will using this one!
As of the latest update, the CREDIT image once again appears between demos on the title sequence.

Good work, by the by!
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Thanks... I feel a bit guilty, however. Nash really spearheaded this whole project—one of many in his prolific career—and I feel like I... took over? I was sent home from work in mid March because of COVID, and I needed a project to occupy my time, so I thought I'd help Nash out with the overwhelming scope of this project... and then I ended up doing all the images. Finally, out of nowhere, id wants to use them for the official release? It was just weird timing. Hopefully it doesn't seem like I set out to undercut him, it just unfolded in a really bizarre series of events.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Can't say any of this was a bad decision, Steve and Nash. This has been a wonderful update and possibly one of the more important ones to the Classic Unity port. Thank you both for the combined work delivered.
Superdave938
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Superdave938 »

are you thinking about giving wolfenstein 3D and SOD the widescreen treatment?
Nash

Post by Nash »

I don't play those games so, sadly, no. Someone else will have to start a new thread/project if they want to do that...
dmslr

Post by dmslr »

Scuba Steve wrote:Thanks... I feel a bit guilty, however. Nash really spearheaded this whole project—one of many in his prolific career—and I feel like I... took over? I was sent home from work in mid March because of COVID, and I needed a project to occupy my time, so I thought I'd help Nash out with the overwhelming scope of this project... and then I ended up doing all the images. Finally, out of nowhere, id wants to use them for the official release? It was just weird timing. Hopefully it doesn't seem like I set out to undercut him, it just unfolded in a really bizarre series of events.
Letting him know at least would be good manners.
aSeriesOfNumbers

Post by aSeriesOfNumbers »

Everything seems to be working, except for Ultimate Doom in episode 3's ending with the camera panning to daisy.
The image looks fine at the beginning, but as it starts to pan, the image starts to glitch during
the panning process, and then it looks normal again once it stops.

These are in order
Screenshot_Doom_20200904_063558.png
Screenshot_Doom_20200904_062432.png
Screenshot_Doom_20200904_063621.png
I have no idea if this is a common bug, or is something going on in my end. (Most likely)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

dmslr wrote:Letting him know at least would be good manners.
I agree, however it's not that simple.

Scuba Steve may have been bound from an NDA that prohibited him from even contacting Nash about it - and if that is the case, then there's a couple of considerations - first, does he think that Nash would mind? (I can't speak for Nash but I doubt he would) - and secondly, as Steve already said most of the work was done by him anyhow, so by rights he can take whatever he made, regardless of who led the project or not.

I'm just guessing here, so.... Take it with a grain of salt.

The justification Steve gave in his post seems perfectly legitimate to me, and I would've accepted it, personally.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”