Monster Scouter - Show Enemy Health (addon)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Spaceman333

Re: Monster Scouter - Show Enemy Health (addon)

Post by Spaceman333 »

banjiepixel wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:Announcement:

This project has been succeeded and surpassed by a newer, better mod created by m8f:
Target Spy

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60784
Target Spy is very great but has it's flaws. One is that it requires somewhat recent gzdoom version and doesn't work on anything else like zandronum or last version of zdoom. Another is that sometimes too much options can be a bad thing. It is great that target spy has a lot customization options but by default i think it isn't as useful as monster scouter and it can get tedious to need to change things around every time when starting with new gzdoom installation.

Monster scouter is great for it's simplicity and compatibility. Seems that even latest brutal doom v21 release candidate uses monster scouter. It also seems that it is used there without any credit.
Thats interesting, I didn't know those were factors for choosing monster scouter over target spy.

I simply assumed that people were not aware of target spy, since my mod is older and slightly more known/downloaded and more visible due to being in graphics/audio patches, which isn't as crowded as the gameplay mods section. Its also interesting to hear about the concern over too many options, since that was going to become the path that monster scouter would have gone down too eventually. Target spy is what monster scouter would have eventually become. Funny thing too is that I had no idea my mod was compatible with Zandronum lol.

I do feel a skeptical about the options argument and the gzdoom installation being too much of a hassle though. I think target spy can be used out of the box with its default settings and it offers the chance to tweak it if I want to, while with monster scouter it offers one setting only, requiring to do ACS to tweak it. Meanwhile, updating gzdoom has been rather painless in the last several times I've done so. I had kept/transferred copies of my old gzdoom-username.inis and I didn't need to fiddle with any setup stuff thanks to that during the update. Its been smooth and fast.

Still, compatibility is still a real strenght with this mod, as well as a good resource to learn ACS, hence why I kept the downloads available for monster scouter.

I'm actually excited for brutal doom including monster scouter in it if it being in the latest release candidate is true. All the doom mods I made have no licence or ownership of any kind. If someone wants to take the mod and remix it and not give credit, that's cool by me. I'm here to play doom, so more mods and variety (even if they're poorly made, everyones gotta start somewhere) is far more important to me than keeping track of copyrights.

I'll go add the mention about compatibility with zandronum to the OP, thats useful info to have.
banjiepixel

Post by banjiepixel »

I'm actually excited for brutal doom including monster scouter in it if it being in the latest release candidate is true. All the doom mods I made have no licence or ownership of any kind. If someone wants to take the mod and remix it and not give credit, that's cool by me. I'm here to play doom, so more mods and variety (even if they're poorly made, everyones gotta start somewhere) is far more important to me than keeping track of copyrights.
Okay, just wanted to mention it, was not sure if you were aware of it. Nice to know that your works are basically open source. I was worried that I would get into trouble for releasing my version of the monster scouter. I am also just happy if somebody finds something i make useful in someway.
I'll go add the mention about compatibility with zandronum to the OP, thats useful info to have.
It totally seems to work with zandronum 3.0 and later.

By the way, there is lifebar mod called "hpbar" that seems to be used by most people that play LCA and other mainly zandronum mods like that but it is bit too fancy and annoying to my taste and that was the main inspiration for my version of the monster scouter. I wanted something very simple that just works and doesn't try to do anything extra.

Also thanks so much for adding my version to the OP, it is huge honor for me as it was first mod i have released ever of any kind.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

banjiepixel wrote:
Okay, just wanted to mention it, was not sure if you were aware of it. Nice to know that your works are basically open source. I was worried that I would get into trouble for releasing my version of the monster scouter. I am also just happy if somebody finds something i make useful in someway.
It totally seems to work with zandronum 3.0 and later.

By the way, there is lifebar mod called "hpbar" that seems to be used by most people that play LCA and other mainly zandronum mods like that but it is bit too fancy and annoying to my taste and that was the main inspiration for my version of the monster scouter. I wanted something very simple that just works and doesn't try to do anything extra.

Also thanks so much for adding my version to the OP, it is huge honor for me as it was first mod i have released ever of any kind.
Yeah totally man, your remix is very welcome! I'm really happy you shared it.

I haven't gotten to playing LCA yet (omg there are so many mods to try, why cant I hold them all halp), but the feature that shows when the monsters in that mod are invulnurable is an excellent feature to have. I think that may be one thing that Target Spy doesn't have.

I also agree with the preference for minimalism. There are couple other hp-displaying mods out there (like JPHUDHEALTHBAR_V3.2.PK7 included with the HXRTC mod as a seperate addon), but I just find the text/ASCII based monster scouter and target spy more enjoyable too for their cleanness, smallness and simplicity.
64palm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 64palm »

not working on zandronum 3.1

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”