[v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Post by Lord Misfit »

Not sure how much you're working on this right now, but I had an idea for a suggestion: when enemies get hit and take damage, they emit a sound akin to Quake 3 Arena when you hit an opponent, as an togglable option. I added this recently to my own mod, by adding the sound code into the "override int DamageMobj" part of the central monster actor [you can do your own method of course], but have the monster taking damage use A_PlaySound on an unused sound channel.

Just a suggestion though. o.o

If you want me to try to add it myself sometime for you, I could make an attempt at it, but it might not happen immediately due to my own workload at the moment. :P
namsan

Post by namsan »

Lord Misfit wrote:Not sure how much you're working on this right now, but I had an idea for a suggestion: when enemies get hit and take damage, they emit a sound akin to Quake 3 Arena when you hit an opponent, as an togglable option.
Try Hitmarkers mod, this mod has hitsound and killsound option (and you can choose sounds from Quake)
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60356
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Dunno what causes this, but if the player is hit on some maps (discovered this with Joy of Mapping 4 & 5, so it might be because of scripted maps) more than one DamNum appears. e.g. Imp hits the player with a fireball for 6 damage, and two or more 6's are spewing out.

Edit: Didn't test if it has something to do with loading a saved game or of the aforementioned map compilations' built-in pistol start option.
Thanks to printinv, I found out that it's because for unknown reasons on some maps the player has more than one DamNumTracker in his inventory. That's why on each hit you get like 8 times the same number.

Valve Xaser pls fix :P
goldenmob72

Post by goldenmob72 »

This is really awesome dude!

You should Redneck Rampage , Duke Nukem , and Shadow Warrior [Classic] Fonts
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

This is really useful for mod development as well, for getting an idea how much damage your weapons are doing in practice.

Minor suggestion: Put NOTIMEFREEZE on the numbers, so they'll still function properly under the powerup/cheat effect. (Otherwise they have a bad tendency to stack up and be unreadable.)
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

DabbingSquidward wrote:
DabbingSquidward wrote:Dunno what causes this, but if the player is hit on some maps (discovered this with Joy of Mapping 4 & 5, so it might be because of scripted maps) more than one DamNum appears. e.g. Imp hits the player with a fireball for 6 damage, and two or more 6's are spewing out.

Edit: Didn't test if it has something to do with loading a saved game or of the aforementioned map compilations' built-in pistol start option.
Thanks to printinv, I found out that it's because for unknown reasons on some maps the player has more than one DamNumTracker in his inventory. That's why on each hit you get like 8 times the same number.

Valve Xaser pls fix :P
I think I finally know why. If you enter a map that contains one or more voodoo dolls, you get an additional DamNumTracker for each of them.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I had no idea that something like this could be so satisfying to use, I guess the only thing cooler would be if the numbers were to separate from each other as they disappear, more like flying blood but with damage numbers, or if something like the ssg were to show the number from each bullet hit, like a small cloud of numbers.

Great job, this is autoload material for sure!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Lippeth wrote:I had no idea that something like this could be so satisfying to use, I guess the only thing cooler would be if the numbers were to separate from each other as they disappear, more like flying blood but with damage numbers, or if something like the ssg were to show the number from each bullet hit, like a small cloud of numbers.

Great job, this is autoload material for sure!
There is. The mod adds "Damnums Options" to the menu, the setting is called shotgun spray.

You're welcome :D
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks, I should've also read the first page as well. I just saw picture, download, make fun, ugg.

Very cool mod!
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Nice mod :D
I have a suggestion to add an IWAD font to this, FreeDoom. Not sure if you heard of it but it has been around for a while since 2001.
Sgt Major Kiwi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Sgt Major Kiwi »

ok, so, I might be doing it wrong, but. not entirely universal, I tried to run it with hideous destructor as one of my hdest autoloads, and it did... nothing. I really wanted it to work, but I guess it didn't. I'll try to run it without hdest, I might just be doing it wrong. :?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Since this has been bumped, I'd like to bring up that there are some circumstances under which the damage numbers stop appearing on specific monsters. I think LegenDoom legendaries have already been brought up (any monster whose health is above their spawn health stops spawning numbers), but Corruption Cards helped to expose another one: a monster that has respawned can stop spawning numbers as well.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Not only that, but monsters which have been morphed, e.g. chickens and pigs, spawn numbers twice for each hit.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

It may be a bit before I get back around to this 'cause I'm busy with a bunch of other projects, but it's probably about time to rework a bunch of stuff under the hood. It's a bit messy 'cause I had to work around some oddities that no longer exist in the latest versions of GZDoom, so hopefully I can make it work a bit more sanely so it's less susceptible to unexpected edge cases. Fingers crossed, at any rate. :P
rayburn

Post by rayburn »

Hi,
I understand at some point DamNums was "adopted" by Wrath of Cronos RPG mod. Apparently the version in WoC is outdated and doesn't take sprite XScale/YScale values into consideration spawning numbers at incorrect height, does it sound like a version old enough to (not) be salvageable?

I am working on a fantasy monster pack where it is important for the player to attack enemies with an attack of counter element (i.e. Ice vs. Fire). I need to assign certain colors to a long list of elements used by major fantasy gameplay mods like WoC/Walpurgis/Schism/HereticalDoom.

And WoC gives me trouble because the version of DamNums that is already included produces zscript errors when I try to run DamnNums 1.0.2 with it as a separate pk3. I am thinking of the best method to counter this, either patch WoC or somehow rewrite DamNums to not be incompatible (sigh), or whatever.

If you can recommend best approach overall I will be grateful!

Here are the errors ZDoom shows me:
Spoiler:
So, uh, I understand worst case scenario I need to rename each one of those variables and classes?

UPD.
Nvm I figured it out. The key is to replace zscript/damnums/events.txt in WoC with zscript/damnums/events.txt (file under same path) in my own pk3, so that my file rewrites the one in WoC. The whole issue was in the weird way monster height was acquired via texture height in WoC. I replaced it with behavior from DamNums 1.0.2 and it works perfectly now.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”