Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (v0.8)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Z86

Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (v0.8)

Post by Z86 »

V0.8 Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gf11323r2s132bu

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... nhv0-8.zip
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FGKU5J7O

Major Changes:
- Completely redone the fire particles. I intend on further tweaking them (color, saturation and contrast to be changed)
- Added new arcing/lightning effects
- Added tracer bullets for Chaingun, Pistol, Chaingun guy, Zombieman
- Sound tweaked, made a lot of things more audible

New Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Demo youtube videos (mostly older versions, i'll create some new ones soon):
Spoiler:
Credits:

Idea Base:
- Stronghold's Torch Effects
- Beautiful Doom Mod
- Some effects from Aeons of Death
- WildWeasel's Diaz Mod (effects, some decorate solutions)
- Enhancer packs for quake (i thought doom also deserves particle based fire mods)

Resources Based on:
UTNT Flames and embers - SolarSnowFall
Stronghold Torches - Stronghold Team (Keksdose did the flames IIRC)
Nash Gore Effects - Nash
Smooth Weapon animations - Perkristian
A few extra animations and giblets - Beautiful Doom
Alternate XDeaths - Zero Prophet's Zero Tolerance
Alternate Deaths - ItsNatureToDie/David G
Barrel remains - Xaser
Splash sounds and definitions - Enjay
Skulltag Hi-Res Items - Skulltag Team
Smoke Effects - Unknown (gathered from Weapons Resource Wad)
Most sounds - Id Software, Raven Software (Doom 3, Quake 4)
Plasma and BFG Explosions - Wirehead Studios (Generations Arena) and some frames from jDRP
Explosions, Special Effects sprites and Casings - from Aeons of Death (the "Half-Life" explosions, and the "Lightning Ball" explosion)

If you see someone that you made and i happen to use, just tell me so and i'll add you to the credits list.
Last edited by Z86 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (WIP)

Post by wildweasel »

Uh...I don't see a download link. Is this finished?
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Quite nice looking, well done.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Nothing we haven't seen before, but still nice.

Though, it made me realize something; why not use particles for weapon flashes as well, instead of using the regular DOOM ones? They fit in more with the rest of the fancy fire for sure.
Imp Hunter

Post by Imp Hunter »

Nice effects, I can't wait to download.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

This looks AWESOME! I can't wait to play! this is not like other enhancer wads, this is far far better from what i can see.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Lookin' pretty tasty there.

.....how much of a performance hit are we looking at ._.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

It's still WIP, so no download yet, but i'll clean up a release version pretty soon.

Performance: it's quite demanding. From what i can tell, (G)ZDoom eats the most resources when spawning "physics" things (bouncy stuff), so there are major slowdowns when lots of such stuff appears. I have a core 2 duo with ATI HD 3600, and i have been able to play wads like Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed and Speed of Doom with this. Revenants and Mancubi spawn bouncing objects with their projectiles, so a large fight with those can slow performance. The other major slowdown is MAP23 of the normal Doom2, the million barrels exploding slows it really down. This is an issue i'll try to track down and make the best compromise.

Particle fire for gunflashes: i have thought about this, but the main issue is moving while firing (move forward and you don't see a thing, move backward and your fire is stretched out very long). Maybe i'll test out some momx and momy relative stuff.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

WOw, some of this stuff would go great in DeepEvil.wad - I like!
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Z86 wrote:Performance: it's quite demanding. From what i can tell, (G)ZDoom eats the most resources when spawning "physics" things (bouncy stuff), so there are major slowdowns when lots of such stuff appears. I have a core 2 duo with ATI HD 3600, and i have been able to play wads like Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed and Speed of Doom with this. Revenants and Mancubi spawn bouncing objects with their projectiles, so a large fight with those can slow performance. The other major slowdown is MAP23 of the normal Doom2, the million barrels exploding slows it really down. This is an issue i'll try to track down and make the best compromise.
I wonder though, is it the actors or could it be something else? I usually get more slowdowns due to dynamic lights than due to physics stuff. It seems that those little bouncing flames have dynamic lights too, so, that's a lot of lights. Does performance improve significantly if you turn dynamic lights off?

Anyway, is looking great and I wouldnt mind playing some maps with this, that is, if my computer can handle it.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Dunno about anyone else but I get a ginormous performance hit with dynamic lights... it's really bad when I've got the standard light definitions loaded and someone's done that thing where you have like 50 blue potions in one spot. I suspect that would do a lot more than the bouncies, tough things might be different in multiplayer.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

The light definitions are a relatively recent addition (and still not finished, i miss a lot of the lights still), and comparing the performance the mod has now to what it had it's nearly the same. It can be system specific anyway.

Today i reduced some stuff that comes out of the barrels (less junk and no sparks - those weren't really visible anyway due to the lots of other effects) and it improved slightly. Still, when i blast the barrels in MAP23 an enormous lag ensues, but a tiny bit less than it was. I had the same problem with teleport smokes too, but removing the +doombounce on the glitter that spawns with them minimized the slowdowns.

Anyway a little new video:
Spoiler:
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Very nice!
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I like the lost soul's flaming blood, especially. :)
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

Don't forget who made the bottom half of the perkristian chaingun :P --->

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”