Hello everyone, I am the user who once went by the awful screen name of "Salad Viking", and I have appeared out of the blue well over a year after last posting because I have content to share.
One or two of you may have a fuzzy memory that I posted something similar to this before, but nothing ever came out of it. Well, I recently created a much more robust version of the primitive product I made long ago, and it's ready for beta testing.jZDL
jZDL is a frontend program for ZDoom (and spawn) for the Java Virtual Machine. It is, obviously, named after the ubiquitous ZDL by BioHazard. Powered by Java, jZDL is small, flexible, and cross-platform. jZDL is an open source program under the zlib license, so anyone can download it, distribute it, and examine the (rough) code.Features:
- Cross-platform: jZDL will run on any desktop computer with a Java runtime installed.
- XML data storage: User settings are saved in readable, schema-validated XML files.
- Easy interface: You can add source ports, IWADs, and more from within the GUI interface, so there's no need to know XML.
- Saved sessions: An idea thrown around before, saved sessions allow you to keep a record of your favorite WADs and setups and quickly load them for future play.
- Recent sessions: jZDL keeps track of your gameplay history and allows you to reload recently played sessions.
- International support: The beta release of jZDL is available in English and Spanish. Anyone can submit a new or revised translation. Just make a new resource bundle from the LocalizedStrings bundle in the jzdl.resources.localization package of the source code and post it or PM it.
- In-development: And I'm open to feature suggestions.
To install and run jZDL, follow the instructions in the README file. You will need to have version 7 or later of the Java runtime installed. Get it here
or here (if you want the 64-bit version)
- Added an option in the Settings tab to toggle automatically loading the last played session
Try it out. This is a beta release, so be on the lookout for bugs, and report any you find.
Last edited by TheFortuneTeller on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.