Doosk, aka Dusk weapons rip. 4th Anniversary update available now!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
EddieMann

Re: Doosk, aka Dusk weapons rip. Monsters update WIP (2020)

Post by EddieMann »

Are you sure the damage values for the original guns is accurately mapped in this mod? Somehow I don't think the Mortar's projectile fits the Mortar.
Linz

Post by Linz »

So it dawned on me that Dusk has Climbing Claws that allow you to well,climb on walls

Is that something you'll consider adding or nah?
AlphaEnt
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AlphaEnt »

Linz wrote:So it dawned on me that Dusk has Climbing Claws that allow you to well,climb on walls

Is that something you'll consider adding or nah?
There are currently no plans on adding that powerup, as there are no custom designed maps for the mod.
Once I start making maps we'll see.

Also, because of my focus of compatibility with several zdoom derivate sourceports, i would have to find a way to make a code that works in several sourceports, being gzdoom 1.8.6 the benchmark.
There is a fast fire totem and a superhot powerup though.
AlphaEnt

Post by AlphaEnt »

EddieMann wrote:Are you sure the damage values for the original guns is accurately mapped in this mod? Somehow I don't think the Mortar's projectile fits the Mortar.
The damage values were tweaked to match doom's balance a bit better.

They aren't faithful to dusk, otherwise you would kill everything way too easily, as original dusk monsters had large health pools compared to doom monsters.

That being said, the mortar and riveter were buffed the same week the mod got released, as some people thought the og rocket/grenade damage was too underpowered, considering the lack of bfg and large amount of monsters on screen.
I felt that myself too at times.

They do behave different on multiplayer, so the balance issue on singleplayer is not present on dooskworld.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

The Mortar's projectile seems to be a sprite instead of a model.
AlphaEnt

Post by AlphaEnt »

Some stuff weren't completely replaced yet, I have the mortar projectile already ripped for next update.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Oh, that's good - any chance of being able to use game models like Lambda does for extra immersion? That'd be really neat, honestly.
AlphaEnt

Post by AlphaEnt »

The mod will include dusk models (monsters/pickups/perhaps props), but that will be an optional feature.

But if i'm being honest, i don't know the lambda mod, so i don't fully get what you mean.

The trailer inside the "future updates" spoiler section shows some models in action.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

AlphaEnt wrote:The mod will include dusk models (monsters/pickups/perhaps props), but that will be an optional feature.

But if i'm being honest, i don't know the lambda mod, so i don't fully get what you mean.

The trailer inside the "future updates" spoiler section shows some models in action.
Using the 3D models (and animations) for the guns is what I meant by making it like Lambda.
AlphaEnt

Post by AlphaEnt »

EddieMann wrote: Using the 3D models (and animations) for the guns is what I meant by making it like Lambda.
Aaah, ok. I see now what you mean. Ha, i know the dude who made that mod.

Chances for 3d weapons to happen are very unlikely as of this date.
There are currently no actual weapon models to work from, except for pickups, and the animated models i attempted to extract myself with an unity assets extractor they all end in one big file with all weapons animated at the same time, separated by layers of meshes, which requires some model editing knowledge i don't have to export each weapon individually without messing up the meshes. (The times i've attempted to export edits, either models weren't animated or deformed like hell)

And the models were animated at 24 fps, so these 36 fps sprites rips won't match up the models keyframes as well as the monsters did (since i ripped the monsters via keyframes to match both sprites and models. Not a major problem, but syncing up would requirr more work :P)
I'm not saying no, but who knows? Up to how usable a future dusk sdk update with actual weapon customization becomes.

Speaking of monsters, time to show a video with monsters on action. A little 6 minutes gameplay.
Video is kinda old and several monster placements are subject to change, but still a nice look at the monsters in action.

No official date, though i'm evaluating something between late november/december.

Monsters are coded, currently working on behaviour and a separate standalone version.
AlphaEnt

Post by AlphaEnt »

Ok, so now I have an estimated release date for the monsters update: December 10.

Just in time for both Dusk and Doom anniversary.

Expect a video of the dusk monsters being played as a standalone version with vanilla doom in the upcoming days.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Eeeeeeeexcellente! And as long as the weapons look fairly 3d, i guess it's all fine. See Prodeus. It's all 2D being 3D.
AlphaEnt

Post by AlphaEnt »

Ok, so the standalone versions of the dusk monsters is currently working as intended.
I'm testing by completing the doom 2 campaign, so I can see if there's some major balance issues regarding the monsters running outside of the intended mod.

A little video to show how it would work, some monsters behaviours were changed since.

After that, i'll start working on making the dusk monsters work with heretic too!
(in case you don't know, doosk works with both doom and heretic, so making monsters heretic compatible was kinda expected)

That might take me a week or two, since it will require some major balance tweaks, but after i'm done, i'll another video of the monsters running on heretic.

I'll try to achieve everything for December 10th. So far, so good.
AlphaEnt

Post by AlphaEnt »

Ok, so I wrote an in-depth article on Moddb about the upcoming monsters update of Doosk.

Sharing it here in case anyone is interested :P

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doosk-aka-du ... x-and-more
AlphaEnt

Post by AlphaEnt »

Took me a while, but the dusk monsters are now compatible with heretic. Played 3 episodes with them and they work ok.

I have to test the standalone version with heretic next, but by the time i'm done, the update will already be released.

In the meantime, have another video.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”