Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 30/10/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hgluzowski

Re: Iron Snail [v1.7]

Post by Hgluzowski »

Maybe add helicopters to this all ?

Hell, I even want missionpack just for this mod ! 3D remakes of Metal Slug levels would be gorgeous in my opinion :)
Melodica
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Iron Snail [v2.0 test out!]

Post by Melodica »

After oh so long, I've finally come to a point where im comfortable enough to release a test version! Of course, this being a test, it means that not everything is finished and things will probably change in the future! As of now, the list of currently finished things includes the weapons and a couple enemies! Special thanks goes to HorrorMovieGuy for being of so much help during the making of this, as he helped with a lot of the enemy sprites and a couple weapon ones!

A download link for the current test version can be found here (or at the main post):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/27yxzlpbu5o8e ... 9.pk3?dl=0
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

So I just played through a couple maps of Bloody Steel with this, and hot damn this is fun! The weapons are all great fun to use. I didn't notice any huge issues, but I had a couple minor gripes with the shotguns:
-The firing sound for both of them, especially the SSG, sound very unsatisfying and relatively weak. I personally recommend something just a little more...explosive. I think that would really capture the feel of the Metal Slug shotgun. The pump sound of the standard shotgun is also pretty quiet, but still a good sound.
-The SSG feels like it needs just a slight range boost. Not much of one, but I feel like I have to get a little too close to enemies for this weapon to really be viable.

I got a couple little suggestions too:
-An obligatory reload button! Remember in the Metal Slug games, how the pistols would reload after you fired a bunch, but it didn't actually do anything or affect the game whatsoever? I think it would be pretty nifty and charming if you could do that in this mod.
-Have the SSG gib weaker enemies. Just a little cosmetic thing, but I think it would make the weapon a lot more satisfying. It is a handCANNON, after all!
-Add the knife for a quick melee. For extra Metal Slug faithfulness, and to deal with those pinky replacements.
-Maybe even add that little "MISSION, START!!!" sound, since you already got the mission complete one.

And that's it! In hindsight, these were all pretty much suggestions, but yeah! I really like this mod, and I'm super psyched to see it updated!
Ahpiox

Post by Ahpiox »

Oh, nice. Keep upgrading it.
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

2.0 is really nice fun mod - still WIP but is very playabe! Sounds, music, effects - like Metal Slug from NG or Arcade Machine ;). I miss that "shotgun" when u pickup the shogtun :). Mod is now way better than prevolus version. Thx for work and time
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

I quite liked it but holy shit a warning on the SSG being limited may have helped some confusion. Other than that, this is awesome. I was also wondering if you could add the pickup sounds from Metal Slug but after thinking it over I don't think any one would want "SHOTGUN. SHOTGUN. SHSHSHSHSHSHSHOTGUNSHSHSHSSSH-"

But yeah, spent literally three minutes trying to figure out why my SSG decided it didnt wanna work. Was about to report it as a glitch
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

UnbornDecay25 wrote: was also wondering if you could add the pickup sounds from Metal Slug but after thinking it over I don't think any one would want "SHOTGUN. SHOTGUN. SHSHSHSHSHSHSHOTGUNSHSHSHSSSH-"
I hope some can solve this - my solution is, 1 shotgun drop on map from enemies :D or other way to limit spawng
Hgluzowski

Post by Hgluzowski »

Melodica wrote:After oh so long, I've finally come to a point where im comfortable enough to release a test version! Of course, this being a test, it means that not everything is finished and things will probably change in the future! As of now, the list of currently finished things includes the weapons and a couple enemies! Special thanks goes to HorrorMovieGuy for being of so much help during the making of this, as he helped with a lot of the enemy sprites and a couple weapon ones!

A download link for the current test version can be found here (or at the main post):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/27yxzlpbu5o8e ... 9.pk3?dl=0
I need to say that... that's freakin' awesome mod !

Anyway, when you're planning to make some "official" maps for this mod (I don't know, maybe a 3D "remakes" of maps from first Metal Slug ? That would mean... of course, adding new enemies or replacing the old ones to fit the theme of those maps... and bosses for those maps in 3D would be just... amazing).
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Don't think it'd bite to throw in a little more "punch" to the sounds overall, especially with the machinegun. Perhaps some "burning death" for weaker enemies, too?
Melodica

Post by Melodica »

A little progress update, I am working on tweaking the sounds for the weapons, mainly the bullet based ones. Hopefully they'll sound more satisfying than they currently are. Also working on powerups, a replacement for the chainsaw, and on the enemies.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Melodica wrote:A little progress update, I am working on tweaking the sounds for the weapons, mainly the bullet based ones. Hopefully they'll sound more satisfying than they currently are. Also working on powerups, a replacement for the chainsaw, and on the enemies.
Will the lost souls be jetpackers and the SSG blast a directed explosion?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

UnbornDecay25 wrote: I was also wondering if you could add the pickup sounds from Metal Slug but after thinking it over I don't think any one would want "SHOTGUN. SHOTGUN. SHSHSHSHSHSHSHOTGUNSHSHSHSSSH-"
Make the shotgun replacer with a Inventory Check. The first time the shotgun is picked up it fails the test and gives the player a Inventory token. The second time it is picked it looks for the inventory token again, passes the check and jumps to another state where it plays another sound, like the generic "KA-CHAK" that many games have.

Like this:
Spoiler: Dumb code
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 29/11/19]

Post by Melodica »

After suffering a bunch of burnout, I had put this project on hold for a while (like, 10 months), but recently I've come back to it, and with that, I have a new test version up! There have been a bunch of changes, probably a bunch more I've forgotten I made, but a quick rundown:

-There is a knife now! press RELOAD to use it at any time!
-Animations for the pistol, shotgun and super shotgun no longer abuse the hell out of A_WeaponOffset, so the code isn't
as horrible now.
-a whole bunch of sounds got replaced

Eventual plans for when this is finished is to release the monsters as weapons as separate pk3 files, so you can mix and match them with any other monster/weapon mod you wish for! both the weapons and monsters are already separate, I just merged them back into one for the release, since I'm not comfortable releasing both separately yet.

Download link is in the main post. Feedback is highly appreciated!
Droober

Post by Droober »

Thrilling fast action-paced gunning, propagating blasts and jazzy music.

This is definitively one of the most fun Metal-slug fan made projects that's respectively faithful to the theme of said franchise.

The guns are invigorating to utilize, serving a satisfying experience.

I adore this mod. It truly brings back nostalgic vibes of the Metal-slug Nintendo DS/Gameboy Advanced esque era's.

Thank you for making this absolute gem. And i wish you all the best! :wub:
Melodica

Post by Melodica »

Thank you for the kind words, Droober!

I've made a couple updates, but most importantly I think, I've gotten around to separating the weapons and monsters completely! Weapons will be all the main stuff like weapons, hud, powerups and the like, while the monsters are just gonna be that, the Iron Snail monsters for use with anything else! The monsters should work fine loaded with a bunch of gameplay mods, haven't gotten around to actually testing it though, same with the weaponset.
Spoiler: Changelog
Download the weapons and monsters from here!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”