MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v666 "Titan" (Dev Blog! p118)

Post by Kinsie »

Finder153 wrote:
whatup876 wrote:Besides the female enemies, i also remember when RTCW or even 2009 nazis had english lines (with a german accent) so that could create a bit more of a distinction between those and the Wolf RPG guy.
Maybe use the English lines for the RPG soldier and swap the German lines he currently uses for the RTCW ones?
Wolfenstein RPG (and as such, the monster based off of it) uses the RTCW audio.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I remember thinking about a FreeDoom guy doll but a dumber idea i had was a doll for the Canned Cain guy from Serious Sam, as a nod to the cancelled Doom 4 and when CroTeam was working on it.
Probably because it'd be "out of bounds" in the mod.

I'm not sure if you're interested in the Spirit or any "buff" anything from Eternal but this video by Ghastly shows a Spirit being recreated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKZRh9ka4s
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I haven't really started on Eternal-themed monster stuff, but I highly, highly doubt the Spirit will be added to MetaDoom. If I do implement it, it'll likely only be for custom maps.
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

Whenever I play this mod, my favorite setup for a playthrough is a complete wadsmoosh (including SIGIL and Xbox Secret Levels) plus that "autoload" edition of Doom 64 for Doom 2 that was released a while back on these forums and a custom modification of the Universal Automatic Continuation mod to support this setup (and accompanying edits to the wadsmoosh iwad to disable pistol starts on The Master Levels, as unpurist and unbalance as that is), allowing for one long run of every official Doom release, SIGIL, and a version of Doom 64's levels. The furthest I've gotten before updates was the first levels of Doom II, including the Xbox secret. I plan on restarting once the new update comes out, since it has been some time since I last played.

To contribute something practical to the discussion, I do wonder if the existing Doom 64 for Doom 2 compatiability fixes from MetaDoom's previous releases apply to any degree to the autoload edition. The autoload edition changes things to facilitate compatiability and being loaded as an episode in the menus rather than its own thing, including renaming its maps and renaming textures to avoid conflicts. I imagine most of the fixes might not be as necessary with that version of Doom 64 for Doom 2.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

austen1000 wrote:To contribute something practical to the discussion, I do wonder if the existing Doom 64 for Doom 2 compatiability fixes from MetaDoom's previous releases apply to any degree to the autoload edition. The autoload edition changes things to facilitate compatiability and being loaded as an episode in the menus rather than its own thing, including renaming its maps and renaming textures to avoid conflicts. I imagine most of the fixes might not be as necessary with that version of Doom 64 for Doom 2.
The compatibility fixes in previous releases relate to spawning appropriate MetaDoom monsters in place of Doom 64 for Doom 2's custom monsters. So, for example, D64D2's Nightmare Imps get replaced with MetaDoom's. I'm not sure how the autoload version handles those monsters (do they delete the DEHACKED and just use the DECORATE definitions?) so I can't answer that question definitively, but it should be fine?

The developer build (and as a result, the next release) adds all sorts of other compatibility fixes to better co-operate with Boom mapsets. One of those fixes to stop replacing monsters that have already been replaced by DECORATE or ZScript actors using the "replaces" keyword, fixing a nasty issue where Doom 64 in Doom 2's MAP02/MAP02B failed to work properly (the "randomly chosen key tunnel" puzzle wouldn't start). This might also fix other mapsets.
austen1000

Post by austen1000 »

Kinsie wrote:The compatibility fixes in previous releases relate to spawning appropriate MetaDoom monsters in place of Doom 64 for Doom 2's custom monsters. So, for example, D64D2's Nightmare Imps get replaced with MetaDoom's. I'm not sure how the autoload version handles those monsters (do they delete the DEHACKED and just use the DECORATE definitions?) so I can't answer that question definitively, but it should be fine?
Reading the changelog on the autoload editions thread, the Dehacked lump was indeed replaced with Decorate definitions.
PhoxFyre007

Post by PhoxFyre007 »

austen1000 wrote:Whenever I play this mod, my favorite setup for a playthrough is a complete wadsmoosh (including SIGIL and Xbox Secret Levels) plus that "autoload" edition of Doom 64 for Doom 2 that was released a while back on these forums and a custom modification of the Universal Automatic Continuation mod to support this setup (and accompanying edits to the wadsmoosh iwad to disable pistol starts on The Master Levels, as unpurist and unbalance as that is), allowing for one long run of every official Doom release, SIGIL, and a version of Doom 64's levels. The furthest I've gotten before updates was the first levels of Doom II, including the Xbox secret. I plan on restarting once the new update comes out, since it has been some time since I last played.

To contribute something practical to the discussion, I do wonder if the existing Doom 64 for Doom 2 compatiability fixes from MetaDoom's previous releases apply to any degree to the autoload edition. The autoload edition changes things to facilitate compatiability and being loaded as an episode in the menus rather than its own thing, including renaming its maps and renaming textures to avoid conflicts. I imagine most of the fixes might not be as necessary with that version of Doom 64 for Doom 2.
Link to the "autoload" Doom 64 for Doom 2?
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Apparently, there's this currently-New-Zealand-only Early Access spin off called Mighty Doom.
It's top down (first non first person Doom game, it seems) and it seems like a grindy "service" thing but could still potentially have new material.
Like, i saw a Zombieman boss with 3 projectiles that reflected off walls and a screenshot of what looks like a Hellrazer with a "triple" beam (one of the beams hits a box it also seems)
It's probably another cheap mobile spin-off and it's not even fully out but despite quality, it could have its stop in Doom history. (if id even thinks of preserving it although i don't think Carmack did much for the RPG games and Resurrection either, to be fair but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnNm83tS9rU Here's a video of gameplay footage.

https://static.doomworld.com/monthly_20 ... b2a572.png Screenshot with what i think is the Hellrazer.

https://new.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/ ... da_itself/ Reddit thread where i first heard about this game.

Maybe id/Bethesda will soon talk about the game but this is in case you ever get interested in this and if it offers something new and non-lame.

edit: google play page https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=nz
Miru

Post by Miru »

whatup876 wrote:Apparently, there's this currently-New-Zealand-only Early Access spin off called Mighty Doom.
It's top down (first non first person Doom game, it seems) and it seems like a grindy "service" thing but could still potentially have new material.
Like, i saw a Zombieman boss with 3 projectiles that reflected off walls and a screenshot of what looks like a Hellrazer with a "triple" beam (one of the beams hits a box it also seems)
It's probably another cheap mobile spin-off and it's not even fully out but despite quality, it could have its stop in Doom history. (if id even thinks of preserving it although i don't think Carmack did much for the RPG games and Resurrection either, to be fair but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnNm83tS9rU Here's a video of gameplay footage.

https://static.doomworld.com/monthly_20 ... b2a572.png Screenshot with what i think is the Hellrazer.

https://new.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/ ... da_itself/ Reddit thread where i first heard about this game.

Maybe id/Bethesda will soon talk about the game but this is in case you ever get interested in this and if it offers something new and non-lame.

edit: google play page https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=nz

I could see the Spirit, if implemented, giving select enemies the stronger attacks they have in Mighty if it possesses them. The game overall seems to add more content to the series than that rail shooter did; and I could at the very least see some jokey, mean-spirited wink to it even if nothing substantial. (remember iReelism? Something along the lines of that)

As for the "inventory vs cooldown" thing for items; I feel like some, like the Tesla Rockets would have both going on.
Warden

Post by Warden »

The DEHACKED detection is very cool, but I've noticed it doesn't detect when the only edit made is to an actor's health (eg. Eviternity Lost Souls).
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

If Mighty Doom has more interesting ideas with enemies, maybe that could justify the spirit or Buff Totem, so instead of speed or damage value, maybe a few more projectiles.
But actually altering attacks could have even more of a change in gameplay, so making them level exclusive is still a safer choice.

I feel like how interesting an enemy can be in MetaDoom can depend on: if the new ideas seem too gameplay altering on certain mapsets (hence why the Cybermanc shoots slime bombs instead of something like the player's gas grenade) vs if the series doesn't have enough material, so you have to be creative. (like the Cacodemon from D64/Malwrath shooting 3 fireballs as a unique attack)
Maybe someday, there will be a Doom game where id just makes up a bunch of enemies just to create a bunch of weird attack ideas and that sort of canonizes most of the ideas people had in mods.

While at it, in case my memory isn't failing me, i remember seeing these Bruiser sprites https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/7 ... nt-2075880 which seem like an upgrade from some that were either posted here or in the Reincarnation of Evil thread.
Because not only does it have the Bruiser's more pointy horns, it even has an eye in the screen, which is something that occured at times in RoE.

Speaking of sprites, Craneo's computer was fixed and he reinstalled the same programs he used to make sprites, so there's a chance he might return to his Eternal monster sprites.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Let's not worry about Mighty Doom for a while, okay? Technically, it's not even announced yet. There's still a chance of it getting snuffed in the cradle like that Commander Keen mobile game. If it lands on iOS, I'll give it a poke and see if there's anything I can filch from it.

I don't plan on adding the Spirit because I don't really see a way for it to be intergrated into pre-existing maps. I could technically add it for mapmakers to mess with, but, well, there aren't any mapmakers so I'll save the heavy lifting on that until there are.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I was thinking of mentioning how the mod had stuff from the Doom alphas and the teleporting imp from Doom 4 (which was later "canonized" with Prowlers) but Mighty isn't even released or cancelled in a literal sense.
So i sort of counter argued that point in my mind minutes after i thought of it.
Then again, the things we could get out of Mighty Doom are just some slighty unique projectile patterns to make enemies feel less samey.

Part 2 of the DLC may or may not be getting close to release due to the new leaked achievments, the scheduels of Hugo Martin's streams and maybe the season pass and the release of Eternal as a whole.
We still have to wait (haven't seen anything about it in general) but i'm just saying this, even if it's pointless and useless.
It is pointless speculation too. (and time waste-y)

I also recall Eternal having an upgrade for rockets that could beep/send feedback when near enemies, so you could detonate them at a better time.
But in classic Doom, the player gets to shoot more rockets normally, so that wouldn't really work and even sound annyoing.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Rocket_launch ... )#Upgrades
edit here: they also shine blue.

There's also Doom 3 VR edition, if that somehow matters.
I think the real new thing is the health and armor thing in the player's wrist.
InkiCrow
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by InkiCrow »

I really enjoyed playing this one, it's really up there with Brutal Doom on my book so far. It feels pretty fluid and the style is almost seamless, and despite not being as brutally cathartic as the former mentioned, it really does for a more action/arcade, speedun-y kind of mod. I also really like the detail with the Doom 3 machine gun, and how it has a hidden missile launcher. It was a little bit funny.

Though it can sometimes throw me off how the aesthetic changes between enemies from time to time. Like, Doom+D64 was kinda fine, and then the Hell Knight is just a 3D render of the Doom 3 Hell Knight. It would be cool if someone made Doom Classic-looking sprites of that version of the Hell Knight. It would be a little more fitting to do that. But that's just a small nitpick, I know it's not easy to sprite that.

I can't wait to see this mod be further developed down the line.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

After a while in Reelism land, I picked this back up over the last couple of days.

First off, the Beholder has been completely revamped.
They should now be a bit more fun to fight, while also being cooler to look at.

Secondly, Ultra-Nightmare mode has been given some of of our Reelism 2 tricks, meaning it no longer has to send the player to another map for the Game Over sequence. Which is nice! More tweaks will likely come soon.

It's been about a year since the last release and the changelog for the next version is rapidly-approaching the 1000-word mark, so I should almost certainly get off my ass and tie the bow on this thing to get it out the door. However, it feels like there's still more left to do...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”