Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
swampyrad

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.6.1b

Post by swampyrad »

ThinkSome wrote: Not an answer, but in the mean time you could get similar functionality with flashlight and flares/glowsticks from UglyAsSin
Yeah, that's what I've been relying on mainly. I was asking since I noticed the flashlight/laser module has IR settings, and I was hoping to see how it looked using nightvision. I just wanna figure why it keeps crashing. It's been bugging me since 4.5.0. :?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

ThinkSome wrote:6) Is there a way to dual-wield pistols and other firearms that are light enough for this? (pistol, revolver, maybe smg)?
With the pistol and the revolver, if you got a second one, you can hit alt reload to quickswap. That's the closest you'll get to dual wielding that'd work in a real firefight and not miss 98% of the time.
ThinkSome wrote:7) Is it normal to find groups of monsters (serpentipedes, flesh worms, pain bringer/lord and some zombies) in the campaign (freedoom phase2 map 10) that are friendly to you? I'm probably not invisible since some still shoot at me.
If you got blues on you from potions or spheres, they occasionally emit out of you and infect still living enemies. There's also a variety of things like breaking invulspheres that lets out a friendly archviles. Immensely helps in crowded maps, though can be a liability since they don't particularly care for crossfire if you stand between them and the enemy.
ThinkSome wrote:8) Matt, have you considered merging some mod stuff into the base game? There are some things like Ugly As Sin's flares/glowsticks, ammo pouches and Ace's extra weapons that I think complement the base game very well.
I'm not Matt, but I'd reckon if he starts stuffing in mods, it'd ruin HDest's whole thing of keeping itself as minimalist as possible. You'll note that even in the latest version, Hideous Destructor remains shockingly a small sized mod. You'd then also get in the classic problem of bloating things jamming every possible mod and needing to check all these code that's not yours. Keeping the lot as mods'll atleast leave the troubleshooting to the mod authors instead of Matt.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

ZikShadow wrote:...
6) I know that accuracy would suffer, but still it would be nice as an option. I know about the hot-swap, though it could be better visualised on the HUD.
7) I have blues, but these were enemies in an area that I just entered from some distance away. Not sure about archviles, I don't think I saw any enemies that looked different to the list in freedom manual (which does not mention archviles).
9) is there a way to see which bonuses (such as this blue) are currently applying and how much is left?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

6. I personally think that it's a waste of time coding something that's ultimately useless because it's literally a terrible move to use in real combat, especially in a mod about semi-tactical action. About the only way I can see it happening is if it's represented like https://youtu.be/CKUYfzoYTTc?t=7 but with HDest's aiming involved. Also no sights, 'cause you can't aim while dual wielding. Good luck hitting anything in medium range with that kind of systems in place.

Anyways, the quickswap thing is visualized by you using your other hand to shoot the other gun. I don't think it can be visualized better than that.

7. FreeDoom is a glorified reskin of Doom. The archvile's there, but with obviously a different name and sprites. You know that blue energy comes out of you when it says something like "you feel power coming out".

9. None. All diagetic. If you bleed, you don't have blues. If you die, you don't have spiritual armor. If you're visible, you don't have the blursphere on. Simple as that.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

6) It's more for close quarters, where enemies are many and magazines are finite.

7) What is the FreeDoom name for it? I never played doom, only started playing zdoom because I got referred to HD.

9) Does it still make sense to apply second blood if I have blue sphere and my heartbeat is red? Or should I save these for later on, when blue runs out?

9b) Speaking of the blursphere, how do I put it on? I tried activating it, but it just kills me within 10s.

10) Is there a way to increase shotgun spread? I don't know how it compares to IRL but it feels a too tight in-game. More spread would be nice when hurt and aiming is all over the place.
swampyrad

Post by swampyrad »

6) I could imagine someone making an addon for this, but it's too silly to have a feature like this in the base mod. I do like the idea of going guns akimbo ala Blood, but it'd probably be a bitch to actually code.

7) FreeDoom's Arch Vile replacement is called the Flame Bringer. It's a bloody sword-wielding skeleton knight. Still blasts you with fire, though.

9a) You don't really need to use Second Blood with blues on. Blue energy slowly restores lost blood after absorbing it. You can use Second Blood to restore blood right after getting blues to speed up the process (and save a few blue points, too). Using any magical health powerups should stop you from bleeding within a few seconds. If you know you have blue energy and start bleeding, either the enemy landed a critical hit, or you're taking too much damage. Find a place to hide and give the blues a chance to heal you.

9b) You have to collect the Blursphere while you're still clean of blue energy. It is a demonic artifact, so it fights with the 'holy' blues, setting you on fire. Be careful with it, though. The longer you carry and use it, the more it will corrupt and weaken the player, draining their max health. As a tip, never keep turned it on any longer than neccessary. It can get so bad that you won't be able to recover after getting incapacitated (stunned from taking heavy damage), leaving you stuck on the floor like a soggy napkin. After a certain point, it will become "cursed" and you won't be able to drop it. The only way to remove it then is to find spirit armour, those glowing helmets you find sometimes. It will destroy the Blursphere, and give you the opportunity to eventually repair the harm it has caused.

10) Regarding shotgun spread, shotguns randomly spawn with a choke installed, ranging from 1 to 7, 7 being the tightest and most accurate. 0 means the gun has no choke at all, and has the most spread possible. You can add a chokeless shotgun in the loadouts if you don't wanna wait til you find one in the wild.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

7. It's the "Necromancer" now and it's this weird eyeball alien thing.

Anyway ThinkSome it seems like you might want to write your own mod...
swampyrad

Post by swampyrad »

Oh, BTW, I fixed my problem with the NV Goggles. I just had to update Delta Touch. I was still playing on an older version of GZDoom. Sorry about that.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

swampyrad wrote:6) ...but it'd probably be a bitch to actually code..
6) Perhaps it would be hard, but I don't know that.

9b) Hmm ok. I seem to have lost the blursphere somewhere in the process and cannot test this. That's in addition to being full of blue all the time and not being able to.

10) I've tried both choke 0 and choke 7 and while choke 0 does have more spread, I feel that it's still too tight. But I don't have any IRL experience with shotguns.

11) Speaking about shotguns, the full-auto pump-action one gets empty too fast. I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod providing a shotgun with a drum megazine. Perhaps something like the Saiga-12 and a 30-round drum magazine.
11a) Are there legal issues with introducing real world items? I've noticed that all the item names have been fictionalised (like the parampudicum lol)
11b) Does HD support having multiple magazine sizes for a firearm? Wikipedia says that the Saiga-12 has four sizes of box magazines and three sizes of drums.

12) How come that magazines from mods are hidden from the magazines selectable with firemode+fire in the magazine manager? For those, I always have to select the firearm and then press whatever key combination it defines to access its magazines in the mag manager.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

6. Coding new weapons is doable enough in HDest, plenty of weapon addons already for the mod. None of what you seek, though.
10. HDest shotguns are realistic.

11. Plenty of weapon addons already for the mod. https://accensi.gitlab.io/hdportal/addons.html
11a. None at all. Matt just likes funny names.
11b. Only in mods. None in vanilla.
12. It's just you. Magazines from mods work fine here for me.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

6) It wouldn't be a "new weapon", just dual wielding existing ones (that can be duel wielded). Of course the logic would change. E.g. alt trigger would no longer be passed to the firearm if the firearm has it, but would instead fire the secondary. I suppose it would be implemented as a virtual weapon?

11b) Can you name an example mod with a firearm that accepts multiple magazine sizes?

12) I have 2 liberator, 1 pistol, 1 smg, 1 4mm uac mag, 4 blackjack 25-round and 7 blackjack underbarrel shotgun mags. Pressing firemode+fire in mag manager only cycles between the first four. For reloading the blackjack ones I have to select the blackjack and then press either USE/OPEN+MAG_MANAGER or FIREMODE+MAG_MANAGER keys to access the mag manager menu for these. Similarly for the Viper handgun.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

ThinkSome wrote:6) It wouldn't be a "new weapon", just dual wielding existing ones (that can be duel wielded). Of course the logic would change. E.g. alt trigger would no longer be passed to the firearm if the firearm has it, but would instead fire the secondary. I suppose it would be implemented as a virtual weapon?
Tell me you don't know anything about GZDoom weapon coding without telling me you don't know anything about GZDoom weapon coding.

It most definitely would be a "new" weapon, with entirely new doubled-up logic to handle the new aiming system, new ammo management, new input schema, new offset multiple graphics, multiple persistant weaponstatus arrays (god save us) ... none of which has any sort of existing template code in HD's weapon system or compatible drop-in libraries to handle it so it'd need to all be built from scratch.

8-)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

By the way Matt, I've been tracking the gravity overhaul, and... is it intentional that I can get a 6ft standing vertical jump?

8-)
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

ZikShadow wrote:...
Sorry, forgot to quote you in reply above.
Caligari87 wrote:
ThinkSome wrote:
I think I'll pass, then :X

13) Is there a brass catcher mod for the liberator?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

ThinkSome wrote:12) I have 2 liberator, 1 pistol, 1 smg, 1 4mm uac mag, 4 blackjack 25-round and 7 blackjack underbarrel shotgun mags. Pressing firemode+fire in mag manager only cycles between the first four. For reloading the blackjack ones I have to select the blackjack and then press either USE/OPEN+MAG_MANAGER or FIREMODE+MAG_MANAGER keys to access the mag manager menu for these. Similarly for the Viper handgun.
That happens when you load a new mod mid-save. Use "take MagManager" in the console, then use the mag manager again to fix it.
ThinkSome wrote:13) Is there a brass catcher mod for the liberator?
Sorta. Followers also have the ability to collect brass, if enabled in the menu.
ThinkSome wrote:9) is there a way to see which bonuses (such as this blue) are currently applying and how much is left?
Only with mods. Either this or this.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”