"Trilogy of Terror" for Doom II

Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:56 am

Hi,

I bundled my first three maps into a single wad and added a nice hub to access them.

The first map - Temple of Doom - is my first map ever done and turned out well: there are several different areas and a nice boss finale section. It took me a while getting into GZBuilder, but it went well and I also took a first look at ACS scripting.
The second map - Techbase of Terror - took some more time to finish. Using custom hires textures, many scripts (Star Trek style "swish" doors, 2 new teleport effects, health- and armor dispensers like in Half Life, PointLight animation etc) also took some time to get into.
The final map - Dungeon of Despair - also took some effort, yet not as much as the second. Also with custom textures and many scripts (e.g. a moving cell inside a mirrored wall spawning enemies in it).

Screenshots are available right here https://imgur.com/a/1HAH3SZ

Download on moddb.com

It was such fun creating the hub area, but I do need a break from all this work^^
Last edited by vedan77 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:13 am, edited 5 times in total.

Re: "Trilogy of Terror" for Doom II

Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:43 am

Download link? And is this a TC? I think you might have put it in the wrong subforum.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:26 am

I have moved the topic to "levels" because that is a better place for this one, but the download link is in the first post, although it is not specifically identified as such (you can get it via Mod DB).

Three very interesting maps (plus a nice central map choice hub). They would be very interesting anyway but if these are your first maps, that makes them even more impressive.

I noticed a few little gliteches, eg a line that was meant to be blocking (I assume) but wasn't, so I could fall off a walkway and get trapped, a line that triggered a non-existent script, some switch textures were misaligned etc but there was nothing fatal. Personally, I would have preferred some more navigation clues (like colour coding doors that require keys etc) but all three maps are very interesting, packed full of cunning puzzles and traps and challenging, but not excessively so, combat. There are some really nice, impressive visuals here too and not in the usual Doom style a lot of the time either. Definitely worth playing.

The only place that I was really scratching my head for how to proceed was in the big green slime room with the towers and the pits. I'd activated everything, but hadn't spotted the way out.

Oh, speaking of the room, there are several places where it is possible to activate a switch where I assume that you are not meant to be able to. In Doom, switch activation, by default, can be done at any height in the map. If you are standing in front of the line, you can activate it, regardless of where the switch texture actually appears. There are a couple of ways around this. Personally I tend to check the player's height in a script and only activate things if the player is at a height where they much be able to face the actual switch textures.

You could also have made better use of MAPINFO to give maps their own name at the automap etc.

[edit]Looking back at your screenshots, I see that you are using a hi-res texture pack. Perhaps that explains why some of the switches were misaligned for me. I only loaded TrilogyResources.pk3 and TrilogyOfTerror.wad so any textures not in those were the default Doom2 ones and I guess the texture pack switch sits slightly differently to the default one.[/edit]

Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am

Thanks a lot for the feedback, Enjay!

Yes, HiRes is an absolute must (as per the never-read description).

I followed all your advice: More text messages if a way is blocked or opened elsewhere, height checks & front activation only for the tower switches (just had to tick the box of the linedef) AND added a proper name to each map.

The fastest path after entering the sewer cross section is south (activate switch), then west, then east.

Again, thanks for this - I just uploaded the new version to moddb^^

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/dow ... -of-terror

Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:58 am

update#2: after editing MAPINFO for just adding some names, the skybox of the last map got buggy.

I checked the wiki, of course, and tried with the sky1 / skybox to adjust it, but the (hires) texture kept repeating instead of being stretched.

Had to remove the map name for this map until I can fix this.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:14 am

I loaded the files, TrilogyOfTerror.wad and TrilogyResources.pk3, with drag and drop.

reporting a sky problem

misaligned switch, as mentioned by Enjay

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:18 am

Thanks and yup, I just noticed this also (mapinfo issue, so I removed the map name for this map)

Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 am

Did you actually specify the sky name in MAPINFO? If not, you should do that.

BTW, I don't know if you caught it or not, but one of the lines where I fell through and got stuck was in the hub map. The edge of one of the walkways let me drop off and get stuck in the area below. However, there really should be some visual clue (handrails or whatever) to show that these lines can't be crossed. It's a bit weird to have yourself blocked when there is no real visible reason for it to happen.

I think that there were also some invisible blocking lines in the techbase map near some of the doors. You could still walk through a gap between the lines to access the door(s) but if you walked along at the sides of the corridor/walkway, there was an invisible *something* blocking the way.

I *think* that the unknown script was in the map with the big slime pit area at the end (but I can't be sure). The message said that it was trying to run an unknown script 0. So that probably means that you have a script activation line in the map that doesn't have a script attached to it.

Sorry that I can't tell you exactly where all of these things happened: I wasn't taking notes at the time, just enjoying the maps. :)

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:09 pm

Enjay wrote:Did you actually specify the sky name in MAPINFO? If not, you should do that.

Yes, I did. Yet I could not get it to work: After assigning the correct texture, it appeared in game - but unstretched. I followed the documentation best I could, yet it did not work. Must be some setting of DoomHDTextures. I'll check it out these days.

Enjay wrote:BTW, I don't know if you caught it or not, but one of the lines where I fell through and got stuck was in the hub map. The edge of one of the walkways let me drop off and get stuck in the area below. However, there really should be some visual clue (handrails or whatever) to show that these lines can't be crossed. It's a bit weird to have yourself blocked when there is no real visible reason for it to happen.

You're totally right. I removed the blocking lines in the hub since I previously added buttons to be ported up again. They were annoying to begin with.

Enjay wrote:I think that there were also some invisible blocking lines in the techbase map near some of the doors. You could still walk through a gap between the lines to access the door(s) but if you walked along at the sides of the corridor/walkway, there was an invisible *something* blocking the way.

Also correct, I did not have an advanced script that controls doors more efficient so I added those lines to the doors in order to have them work correctly. It still can happen that one gets double triggered and moved into the walls. In the meantime, some nice guy on doomworld provided such a script. I'm going to implement it soon.

Enjay wrote:I *think* that the unknown script was in the map with the big slime pit area at the end (but I can't be sure). The message said that it was trying to run an unknown script 0. So that probably means that you have a script activation line in the map that doesn't have a script attached to it.

Hm, I did not notice until I replayed the scene and yes, a script setting got lost somehow. Now it works.

Enjay wrote:Sorry that I can't tell you exactly where all of these things happened: I wasn't taking notes at the time, just enjoying the maps. :)

An honor to be of service, so glad you liked it.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:33 pm

A couple more glitches

do the green and blue textures have the correct offset?
the animation in the back is okay

a runaway script

Concerning making the texture glow:
While I provided an example pwad over on the Doomworld forum,
I do believe that I have come up with a better compromise.
I had tried all kinds of scenarios, but this one seems to be a reasonable fit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:55 pm

Kappes Buur wrote:A couple more glitchest

the offset is wrong due to a missing hires texture package like "ZDHPT" or "DoomHD Objects and Sprites".

The runaway script I already fixed since I learned to insert a "break" to a while loop.

The glowing texture approachh is interesting, I'll fiddle with it.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:50 am

hmm. im encountering an error in the dungeon...where the switches dont work.

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 am

m1lk wrote:hmm. im encountering an error in the dungeon...where the switches dont work.

OMG you're right, I just checked those in the spinning room & the sewer towers - the script setting for the linedef got lost somehow. will fix it asap, thanks a lot!

UPDATE: I fixed it and right now the file is gettoing uploaded to moddb.

Since it takes a day to verify the file, I uploaded it on mediafire https://www.mediafire.com/file/egt07h96 ... c.rar/file

Again, thanks a lot!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 am

vedan77 wrote:
m1lk wrote:hmm. im encountering an error in the dungeon...where the switches dont work.

OMG you're right, I just checked those in the spinning room & the sewer towers - the script setting for the linedef got lost somehow. will fix it asap, thanks a lot!

UPDATE: I fixed it and right now the file is gettoing uploaded to moddb.

Since it takes a day to verify the file, I uploaded it on mediafire https://www.mediafire.com/file/egt07h96 ... c.rar/file

Again, thanks a lot!

oh good, because im enjoying this alot. ill download that and play through it again, thank you! 8-)

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:11 pm

thx man, but one favour I'd ask of you: do the rings at the sewer towers keep their thin shape? because something seemed to happen to my setup. i see them increasing in height :(