Hexen: Guardians Of Cronos (open community project)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
whirledtsar

Hexen: Guardians Of Cronos (open community project)

Post by whirledtsar »

Discord: https://discord.gg/RKr7byVbJ5
Resource pack: https://mega.nz/folder/9aQkhJrb#9Pa424m_L7XxDYSCYFkUBw

Guardians Of Cronos is a community hub for Hexen. The project will have 3 approximate phases - preparation, work, and refinement. Preparation is 1 week of time in which contributors join in and can plan their map and claim what items they need for it. Work will be 2 months of mapping to create a playable level. Refinement will be a couple weeks of playtesting, bugfixing, and generally finalizing for release.

ZDoom (2.8.1) is the intended engine. Maps should be made in Hexen, ZDoom: Hexen, or ZDoom: Hexen UDMF format using ZDoom ACS. Beware that OpenGL-only features (such as interactive plane portals) will not work in ZDoom. However, there are still many modern possibilities like line portals, 3D floors, etc. Jumping is allowed, crouching is not.

The resource pack (goc-resource.pk3) includes extra textures, decorations, & ambient sounds are for variety. Includes city, snowy, Egyptian, Aztec, and more themes. There are also many new keys/puzzle items. Four new monsters are included - the Archer Knight, Lava Stalker, Gorgon, & Rock Lizard. Rather than regular skies, maps will use Quake-style scrolling skies. You can pick one from the example map (goc-skies.wad) and copy it into your map. If you need extra resources, they can be submitted for approval.

The project will be in a continuous hub format like the original Hexen. The hub will be divided into 3 groups of maps, which will be unlocked sequentially by collecting items in side maps & defeating bosses in the hub. There are 9 slots besides the hub & boss maps, but more can be added if there's more demand. You must claim an available map slot, and your map must include the item for that slot, which will be used in the hub. Additionally, you can use other items/keys for progression within your map. You must claim which ones you want to use. Any map can use the Death Wyvern, but you must claim the Heresiarch. A Heresiarch fight should be in a later map after the 3rd weapon is received. You may also claim introducing a piece of the 4th weapon. The first 2 should be prominent and not easy to miss, but the 3rd piece should be a secret.

There is a Discord server for the project. In addition to general discussion, it has some guides on Hexen and ACS for newcomers, a list of items to claim, and info on the new monsters. You don't have to join it to participate, but it is a much faster method of communication than forums.

Playtesters are welcome to join. You can record demos on ZDoom with the -warp [mapxx] -record [filename] argument, and play them back with the -playdemo [filename] argument or console command.

Roadmap
[whirledtsar] Map01: N/A (hub map)
Maps for after 2nd weapon
[WW] Map02: Flame Mask
Map03: Flame Mask
Map04: Flame Mask

Maps for after 3rd weapon
[whirledtsar] Map05: Planet (Sapphire)
[ArgonianLord] Map06: Planet (Sapphire)
[Razumen] Map07: Planet (Sapphire)
[alexsa2015sa] Map08: Gear (Steel)
[MTY] Map09: Gear (Steel)
Map10: Gear (Steel)

Maps for after 4th weapon
[whirledtsar] Map11: Boss
Last edited by whirledtsar on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Hexen: Guardians Of Cronos (open community project)

Post by Rachael »

I am interested. I'll join as a playtester at the very least, I might like to contribute a map at some point but don't know if I will have the time to make one.
alexsa2015sa

Post by alexsa2015sa »

I hate to ask, but is really everyone on discord and the OP isn't kept up to date (which, with supposed 1 week recruitment span, seems... untidy?), or nobody joined yet? I think I'm interested either way, since I got too hung up on spritework for my latest wad and need some mapping time off it.

If it's okay to join put me down for a MAP08-10 slot, or a MAP05-07 if these are full. I might claim a key but the setup I have in mind (machinery in the midst of level which explodes once gear/sapphire/etc is removed and most of layout is adjusted) isn't very picky as to specifics, half the more generic keys work so unless everyone goes key crazy I don't see reason to claim any yet. Worst case I'd use some out-of-place-but-not-quite texture to link a switch to a door.

Lastly, two questions: are multiple Death Wyverns at once allowed (I think I figured a way to thrust dragons and dragons only off the walls), and is using no items (except the hub puzzle one, obviously) okay?
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

alexsa2015sa wrote:I hate to ask, but is really everyone on discord and the OP isn't kept up to date (which, with supposed 1 week recruitment span, seems... untidy?), or nobody joined yet? I think I'm interested either way, since I got too hung up on spritework for my latest wad and need some mapping time off it.

If it's okay to join put me down for a MAP08-10 slot, or a MAP05-07 if these are full. I might claim a key but the setup I have in mind (machinery in the midst of level which explodes once gear/sapphire/etc is removed and most of layout is adjusted) isn't very picky as to specifics, half the more generic keys work so unless everyone goes key crazy I don't see reason to claim any yet. Worst case I'd use some out-of-place-but-not-quite texture to link a switch to a door.

Lastly, two questions: are multiple Death Wyverns at once allowed (I think I figured a way to thrust dragons and dragons only off the walls), and is using no items (except the hub puzzle one, obviously) okay?
1. So far one other person besides myself has committed to mapping, I just havent updated the slots yet.

2. Okay, sounds good.

3. Yeah, both of those are fine.
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

The second phase of the project has started, and I can share a couple screenshots of maps by alexsa2015sa and myself respectively. New mappers are still welcome (see OP).

Towering Tombs:

Emerald Isle:

Beta of Emerald Isle: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... oc-sea.wad
Launch with the resource pack in the OP and type the "give weapons" cheat to playtest. The map is completed when you collect the sapphire planet.

Return to “Levels”