My first map project: Journey To Hell [WIP]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DamTheGreat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

My first map project: Journey To Hell [WIP]

Post by DamTheGreat »

Hello everyone,

I started using Doom Builder way back when the whole COVID lockdown happened, I made two levels but then I ran into an issue that frustrated me (I posted about it in the help forum), so I stopped for a long while (it doesn't help that I have severe issues with keeping and finding motivation). Recently I found some new motivation, so I decided to seek help about that issue and get back into mapping. I'm gonna post a few screenshots and once I finally release the map pack(who the hell kinows when, don't get your hopes up) I would very much appreciate some criticism and tips and on I can improve. I'm thinking for a first map pack I would make ten levels, is that a good number, or is it too few? I think making a 32-level megawad is a bit too ambitious, not to mention for me it would take AGES to be made. Anyway, here's the screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/itjLJFU

Any feedback is appreciated!

Regards,
DamTheGreat

EDIT; New level:

https://imgur.com/a/twP1Smn

EDIT 2: Another level complete:

https://imgur.com/a/T7vec2N

EDIT 3: Another level, this time the final one, as i build them out of order:

https://imgur.com/a/cXsxjG8
Last edited by DamTheGreat on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
BunnyWithBeans
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: My first map project: Journey To Hell [WIP]

Post by BunnyWithBeans »

Feedback can't really be given if there's nothing to download and play.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Hello DamTheGreat!

1) Try to go for as many maps as you find interesting. If you get exhausted, it will show. MEGAWADS are good for community projects, I've learnt that much. I also think that you can make one, but only if you work on a few maps at a time and make it into a long term project. Good luck!
2) You forgot to attach the file as Bunny mentioned :).
DamTheGreat

Post by DamTheGreat »

Ah, I guess this is just a forum to post finished maps, I'm still working on it. I thought I'd just announce it and give a little teaser and update the topic as progress goes along, my bad.
Deon

Post by Deon »

No problems, it's just impossible to provide feedback based on screenshots, especially when they are quite (don't take it wrong) basic, i.e. you are not trying to use fancy 3d floors/traps/interesting textures/furniture.

It is not a bad thing, I would say it's actually a good thing to try to make your first map simple-looking. The gameplay/flow is what matters (flow = how you progress along the map; i.e. if you are stuck not knowing what to do next, the flow is bad).

For example, I've spent 2 nights decorating two houses on my first map which you barely see in game as you run by. It was fun, but useless for the end user. So don't take my feedback about the details as negative.

Once you are ready to show what you've got, come here and multiple people will gladly play and provide the feedback to your map. But what's more important: have fun. If you find it fun, you will do it more and you will become a good mapper with time. I surely hope so when I think of myself, that with practice I can become better one day :).
DamTheGreat

Post by DamTheGreat »

Oh, fun it sure is! I love being able to implement my ideas with scripts and such (I have a lot of ideas!)
DamTheGreat

Post by DamTheGreat »

Finished another level.

https://imgur.com/a/twP1Smn

Return to “Levels”