Heretic episode: Sold Soul RC2 Released

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lagi

Re: [WIP]Heretic episode: Sold Soul E1M6 update (77% done)

Post by Lagi »

just beat royal gardens, now mire of wyverns map 4, i remember this level start so i think this is as far as i reach, previous time.

excellent maps, very demanding. I must quick save often. Lots of interesting gameplay designs. IM always forced to be on the run, ammo is scarce. I Like jumping on map 3 on this pillars. Chaos Wyverns looks nice, but deal a bit too much damage. Mushrooms are great, but same i think punish player too much - most encounter with gas ends with quick load, even i have about 50hp. I love that you dont just shove into player throat the crossbow. Great is the availabilty of timebombs so its another factor to master in game.

cultist annoy me with his constant talk - plus he sounds funny, like easter european greeting his compatriot on the other side of street.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

beat the 4th map.

excleent design. Keep me on my toes all time. I was searching for blue doors a bit too long, even study the map :D. CHaos wyvern do for sure too many damage.

if wyvern has ice death could you add one for Cultist? (i would draw it in a second)

Fryuko

Post by Fryuko »

You mentioned a few things that I want to fix and address in the next update (probably full release).
Lagi wrote:Mushrooms are great, but same i think punish player too much - most encounter with gas ends with quick load, even i have about 50hp.
I'm not a huge fan of them anymore, haven't even used them past level 3, and without looking down they are really hard to kill. Maybe I should just get rid of them completely.
Lagi wrote:cultist annoy me with his constant talk - plus he sounds funny, like easter european greeting his compatriot on the other side of street.
Their current sounds are from Blood and cultist there speak Spanish or something similar as far as I know.
I also find their sounds really annoying still, I really like their design. They fit well into most fights. Already tried looking for an alternative sound for them, but without success so far.

Chaos wyverns may need another nerf in the future along with death knights.
Lagi wrote:if wyvern has ice death could you add one for Cultist? (i would draw it in a second)
I didn't even know about ice death until now. I guess you can't really access it in Heretic normally. Thank you for your help with it, I'll try to implement it for all new enemies.

E1M5 is maybe too scarce with ammo, I'll fix that too.

I'm glad you liked the levels so far and thank you for your feedback 😁 I'll give you a little hint about the secret level:
Spoiler:
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Fryuko wrote:
Lagi wrote:cultist annoy me with his constant talk - plus he sounds funny, like easter european greeting his compatriot on the other side of street.
Their current sounds are from Blood and cultist there speak Spanish or something similar as far as I know.
I also find their sounds really annoying still, I really like their design. They fit well into most fights. Already tried looking for an alternative sound for them, but without success so far.
In my community project Realms Of Cronos, cultists used voice lines from the game Take No Prisoners that work pretty well imo. They were also used in the Hexen episode Descent Into The Abyss.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66255
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

CUltist sound are okish. Just make him half the time say nothing, so it would be more berable.
maybe something heere you find useful?
https://www.sounds-resource.com/pc_comp ... ound/7572/

mushroom are nice. Make you histeric whether the mushroom will alive or not. Problem is too big damage. In your levels im constantly below 50hp. When i step on trap the gas just kill me on spot which is annoying.
reduce gas damage

chaos wyvern kill me with one shoot and its insanly fast. dmg reduce please. would be nice if the fire breath were not auto aim so much - not sure if thats possible.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

here is my first play on map 5, till i get killed. For reasons map creators are interested for such videos.

Fryuko

Post by Fryuko »

Thanks for the sounds, I'm sure I can find something useful in it.

Also thank you for the video, never saw anyone playing on my maps before so it was quite an experience.
That iron lich is almost stationary without gameplay mods and mostly there to knock players off the cliff with his tornadoes. It was weird seeing him walking around.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

i bet the map 5. I have no idea where is the dragonclaw there, could be a useful weapon.
excleent level, gameplay wise, architectural, puzzle, pressing on player. Great experience

this was nice because in AmberWayfarerthe staff is a silent weapon. So i kill both sabreclaw before starting fight with Maulotaur! FUN

Also i notice that the Serpent dont have a ice death. which is strange because the native Hexen monster has ice corpse.
Serpent with double ball is dealing a bit too much damage. You still can mitigate it using tome of power for healing. In general i like easy game, because i love to not quicksave at all. but for that i cannot be punish with death for every eaten attack.
Spoiler:
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

OK I play the ice village ! awesome level! architecture and decoration just cream de la cream.

a little bit too many ironliches.

the battle in the center of town is intense, i need to memorize with few deaths where is what. In this chaos i dont know where to escpae with the yellow key. I first time in my life use Pause key, to study the map :D

ofc flying wyvern (expected) 1 shoot me all the time, even from 100/100 ! swarm of sabre claw is interesting.
Spoiler:
little sad that this would be the last level. but hey maybe i finally play some modern game with my new PC.
Fryuko

Post by Fryuko »

Lagi wrote:i bet the map 5. I have no idea where is the dragonclaw there, could be a useful weapon.
The dragon claw is in plane sight, you somehow missed it 😁

I'll try to fix all ice deaths in the future.
Lagi wrote:OK I play the ice village ! awesome level! architecture and decoration just cream de la cream.

a little bit too many ironliches.

the battle in the center of town is intense, i need to memorize with few deaths where is what. In this chaos i dont know where to escpae with the yellow key. I first time in my life use Pause key, to study the map :D

ofc flying wyvern (expected) 1 shoot me all the time, even from 100/100 ! swarm of sabre claw is interesting.
This is the fight that I thought you called unfair a few days ago. It can be overwhelming especially for the first time. But I managed the beat the whole level without secrets and saves, so it should be more than possible. If someone still struggles with it here is a little help, tagged as a spoiler of course.
Spoiler:
This should last enough, to deal with the wyverns at least. 😁
Lagi wrote:little sad that this would be the last level. but hey maybe i finally play some modern game with my new PC.
The next map is almost ready, only missing the final section, some minor decorations, and ammo placement. Though I'll probably only release it when level 8 is also finished.
Spoiler:
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Can i make you the ice and fire deaths? I also like to do melee attack for the cultist.

===========================

:shock: you are the second biggest cheater i know, after my cousin who refuse to play doom without iddqd and idkfa.

i think now snow village is more doable.

===========================
I check under the bonnet:

do you think Undead Knight red axe is dealing a little too much damage? its 7 *d8.
but you know its single projectile, quite slow, easily visible. Nothing gamebreaking.

Serpent (strider version) is dealing 8 *d8 in the series of 6 fast projectiles. 8-64 dmg per ball (avr 32).
also this green scarecrow must have 750 hp, more than Ironlich, because he is a new monster. And lets give him 15% pain chance so painlocking is for sure not an option.

now wyvern is same (just 10x faster and flying) 750 hp, 6% pain. and his projectile would be dealing... hmm 80+4*d8 yeah that should be optimal (avr 96 dmg).

even if you wish you are not able to keep your HP at 100, because there is no enough healing items on the map (yes yes i know, git gud i shouldnt be hit even once).

---
Im gonna mess with the monster stats next time I play it.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

ice village, i get to the blue key, when triple wyvern arrive - im done. i manage to get into this blue gate with 3 ironliche, but when i press the switch and room is swarm with Weredragon. Im out of ideas.

there is not enough rings to survive this :D

Death Knight is a joke. Its immpossible to hit him, because he deflect all projectiles. coming close is insta death from his sword. He weight more than godzilla because nothing can move him even by inch. I was trying to push him down the cliff. Maybe he is one of the push map elements? dontknow

oh and to get out alive with yellow key i literraly was trying 2 nights in a row (ok ok it take me time to figure out there is elevator :D)

--------------------
serpents wyvern death knight WAYYYY tooo OP.. too much damage... too much HP.

ALso its too many IronLiches! I know its probably my faul because my mod make them fly, and they suppose to be a turrets pushing player to move on.

My play of snow village was a quick save / quick load execrise, of memorising the best path (it means: where i dont die immedialty)

There is no place to rest. To just wander around and admire the map (do some puzzle/switch hunt). Your maps are beautiful, absolute top league.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

ah.. ok i just play sould soul withoud mods. Its much easier without Ironliches :D
I think i remove flying from Ironlich.

------------
Serpent - should has 4 damage not 8 ( ?? hp)
Wyvern - low fire breath damage is great (not sure about value yet), you suffer from fire and see the wyvern flying around.
Mushroom -
Shield Dead Knight -

--------------------
frozen cultist looks better ingame. i was afraid he is too dark.

Code: Select all

Ice:
		TNT1 A 0 A_ChangeFlag("SPRITEFLIP", random(0,1))
		CULT z 5 A_FreezeDeath
		CULT z 1 A_FreezeDeathChunks
		Wait
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rez8rup2 ... t.zip/file

Code: Select all

Death.Fire:
			TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("TORCHBRN",CHAN_6,0.6)  	
		CUL4 ABCABCABC 4 BRIGHT	
			TNT1 A 0 A_JUMP(256,11)
		CUL3 ABCABCABC 4 BRIGHT
			TNT1 A 0 a_Scream
			TNT1 A 0 A_JUMP(128,11)
		CUL4 DEFDEFDEF 4 BRIGHT
			TNT1 A 0 A_JUMP(256,11)
		CUL3 DEFDEFDEF 4 BRIGHT
			TNT1 A 0 A_Pain 
		CUL4 GHIGHIGHI 4 BRIGHT	 
		CUL4 J -1	
	STOP
Fryuko

Re: [WIP]Heretic episode: Sold Soul E1M7 update (88% done)

Post by Fryuko »

Just released an updated version with some nerfs, fixes, and most importantly with the next map.

Lagi wrote:ice village, i get to the blue key, when triple wyvern arrive - im done. i manage to get into this blue gate with 3 ironliche, but when i press the switch and room is swarm with Weredragon. Im out of ideas.

there is not enough rings to survive this :D

Death Knight is a joke. Its immpossible to hit him, because he deflect all projectiles. coming close is insta death from his sword. He weight more than godzilla because nothing can move him even by inch. I was trying to push him down the cliff. Maybe he is one of the push map elements? dontknow

oh and to get out alive with yellow key i literraly was trying 2 nights in a row (ok ok it take me time to figure out there is elevator :D)

--------------------
serpents wyvern death knight WAYYYY tooo OP.. too much damage... too much HP.

ALso its too many IronLiches! I know its probably my faul because my mod make them fly, and they suppose to be a turrets pushing player to move on.

My play of snow village was a quick save / quick load execrise, of memorising the best path (it means: where i dont die immedialty)

There is no place to rest. To just wander around and admire the map (do some puzzle/switch hunt). Your maps are beautiful, absolute top league.
Thank you for help and feedback again.

I nerfed both the wyvern and the death knight. The wyvern is slower now and has less health, pretty much a joke now unless you forget to move around.
Death knight has less health now, you can actually one shot him with the powered up lightbringer. You just have to find the time window when he is vulnerable.
I'll keep their damage becouse I want them to be an actual threat. Also there aren't that many of them.
Serpent is fine, you just have to dodge things?

About the parts you find challenging, I'll definitely make them easier once the difficulty settings are implemented. Easier difficulties will also have fewer wyverns etc. People can rest and enjoy the scenery more this way :D
Smite-meister will probably stay as it is since I personally tested that all levels are beatable without saves.

Return to “Levels”