Dark Tartarus V5

Sat May 02, 2015 1:27 am

Dark Tartarus is a megawad with 43 very challenging maps, designed to murder the players for their slightest mistakes. V5 comes with 2 new small maps, many new areas, and deathmatch support.
Image

DL Link
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nnvrl ... rtaru5.rar


Screenshot of new areas.
Spoiler:


Great thanks for Sandro :wub: and anyone who enjoyed this mappack.
All feedbacks are welcome.

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Sat May 02, 2015 1:53 am

Oh wow, these are some of the best-looking urban maps I've ever seen just based on the screenies.

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 am

Just downloaded,going to play later.Screenies ar great! :D

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Sun May 03, 2015 2:21 am

The maps are good looking but the the difficulty is comparable to a Terry wad, at least for me. I said it more than once that i'm not a hardcore Doom gamer and i'm not particularly good at FPS in general that's why i'd like to know if someone have been able to play this mappack at UV and if yes how those maps could be passed without any cheats.

As i said the maps are looking good but while playing i felt like i'm out of my league :lol:

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Sun May 03, 2015 3:50 am

Endless123 wrote:The maps are good looking but the the difficulty is comparable to a Terry wad, at least for me. I said it more than once that i'm not a hardcore Doom gamer and i'm not particularly good at FPS in general that's why i'd like to know if someone have been able to play this mappack at UV and if yes how those maps could be passed without any cheats.

As i said the maps are looking good but while playing i felt like i'm out of my league :lol:



There is some UV-max video on youtube that Sandro did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADVnPDN ... a&index=16
(it's not necessary to vile-jump in the first map, there is a lot of ways to complete it)
I think sandro already hit tat22. he's too damn good.

Also you can just lower the difficult. I actually managed to beat the first 6 maps with Hideous Destructor mod on not too rough skill, with a lot of save/load of course.

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Sun May 10, 2015 8:58 am

Ok take 2 :lol:

Played along with PillowBlaster's Guncaster mod i managed to get enough money to upgrade my little dragon at almost full power. It doesn't prevented me from dying a lot but i guess this mod is like a Dark Souls game where it's expected to die ALOT :lol:

For other players here is the mods i used to play with this mod and i had lots of fun

1 - Guncaster : i have tones of fun playing DT with it, It's really hard but REALLY fun :D

2 - PMSX : really fun too but extremely hard due to the enemies's speed

3 - My Predator mod : Extremely hard but fun. The Xeno's acid makes it really really difficult to stay alive long enough to get pass the first barrage of enemies. Ironically it's with my Predator mod i died the most :lol:

4 - My Terminator mod : Due to the nature of the Terminator it's hard but relatively doable. However the Terminator's arsenal isn't really adapted for the immense task ahead.

5 - Kontra's Aliens Ultimate Doom TC : Once again really hard but really fun

6 - Trailblazer : Same as Kontra's AUDTC, hard but fun.

7 - jdredlaert's Predators mod : fun fun fun, hard hard hard :P

That's all the mods i mixed up with Dark Tartarus so far.

NOTE : I saw a few of the videos of the playlist you posted and i must say i'm extremely impressed by this guy's skills and uncanny ability to survive where most of us would simply get our ass kicked. I know you want this mod to be challenging but don't you think it could be wise to use less archviles? I mean they are overused in all difficulty levels and it's not really something that is seen often. Personally i think no matter the difficulty level the archviles should be used with caution because not only they can kill the player quickly but they can also revive other monsters. If 1-3 archviles are together with 2-4 Mancubus it's a challenge for anyone but if the same mancubus are with 10 archviles it takes a lot of firepower and evade skills to stay alive long enough to get the job done.

The first map for example there is 3 archviles for the first 2 lower difficulty levels, 17 archviles on the 3rd difficulty levels and 134 archviles at UV. The problem is not only how many archviles are on the map, it's most of the time they are grouped in large numbers. I know there is some trap or secret tricks to get rid of the massive number of enemies but the player has to know those exist in order to use them. Exploration is kinda hard when hitscan monsters are relentlessly shooting at you while trying to figure out the map and the possible secret locations.

Conclusion : The map set is not for the novice. However if you want to know how good you really are at Doom this mod is the one to play - specially to make the most cocky player becomes really humble :lol:

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Wed May 13, 2015 1:33 am

It's good to know that you have little problems with so many mods. :D
Compatibility with other mods is a great concern for me, I even made a few exclusive change for complex doom, which prevent the spawning of some cyberdemons. Since most "Random Spawner" used by mod check if there is enough space to spawn the object, I simply seal that space up and relase it later, so the randomspawner thing won't work.

Endless123 wrote:NOTE : I saw a few of the videos of the playlist you posted and i must say i'm extremely impressed by this guy's skills and uncanny ability to survive where most of us would simply get our ass kicked. I know you want this mod to be challenging but don't you think it could be wise to use less archviles? I mean they are overused in all difficulty levels and it's not really something that is seen often. Personally i think no matter the difficulty level the archviles should be used with caution because not only they can kill the player quickly but they can also revive other monsters. If 1-3 archviles are together with 2-4 Mancubus it's a challenge for anyone but if the same mancubus are with 10 archviles it takes a lot of firepower and evade skills to stay alive long enough to get the job done.

The first map for example there is 3 archviles for the first 2 lower difficulty levels, 17 archviles on the 3rd difficulty levels and 134 archviles at UV. The problem is not only how many archviles are on the map, it's most of the time they are grouped in large numbers. I know there is some trap or secret tricks to get rid of the massive number of enemies but the player has to know those exist in order to use them. Exploration is kinda hard when hitscan monsters are relentlessly shooting at you while trying to figure out the map and the possible secret locations.


Because there is nothing faster than you in Doom, and hitscan enemies tend to kill each other quickly. Many of the maps features large, open space arena, which makes the archvile the only thing can stop the player. Now that you reminded me, I should probably make archvile appear less frequently on lower skill levels. in terms of firepower, 5 archviles is probably nothing different from 100 archviles, both will kill you in less than 5 second anyway, so maybe I did overused them on some occasion.

After spent a bit time playing online, I found some newly created bugs, and some user on zandronum forum suggest me to revert some of the changes. I will release a patch after enough problems have been addressed, hopefully it will cover all the problems (which is unlikely).

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Wed May 13, 2015 11:03 am

Why do many mods has badass titlepics/intro images but you enter the game and just join another vanilla mod? :roll:
Well, it looks like my older mods, the titlepic images were pretty well done, and you just entered the game and just say wat, I was waiting cry engine game not wolfenstein one rofl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, this mods really looks cool to be played with that termitus scary mod

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Wed May 13, 2015 12:35 pm

So I suppose now it's perfectly mod compatible? I haven't really played since v3.

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Thu May 14, 2015 3:12 am

ibm5155 wrote:Why do many mods has badass titlepics/intro images but you enter the game and just join another vanilla mod? :roll:
Well, it looks like my older mods, the titlepic images were pretty well done, and you just entered the game and just say wat, I was waiting cry engine game not wolfenstein one rofl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, this mods really looks cool to be played with that termitus scary mod


xa-what-blink.gif

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Thu May 14, 2015 3:20 am

ibm5155 wrote:Why do many mods has badass titlepics/intro images but you enter the game and just join another vanilla mod? :roll:
Well, it looks like my older mods, the titlepic images were pretty well done, and you just entered the game and just say wat, I was waiting cry engine game not wolfenstein one rofl
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, this mods really looks cool to be played with that termitus scary mod


Please learn to post more clearly and less snidely than this.

More on-topic: Playing this with Accessories to Murder is a good option for a swift death.

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Thu May 14, 2015 9:13 am

Excellent stuff, i tried to kill everything in the first level but it was quite hard :shock: :shock: :shock: over 1000 enemies? :cry:

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Fri May 15, 2015 9:41 am

Yeah perhaps you should do what skillful mappers do, and have difficulty come from good placement of enemies in well designed maps. I'd say 500 monsters in the first few maps and maybe cap it at 800 in later maps.

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Fri May 15, 2015 10:58 am

Oh, rofl, i remember this wad

if B.P.R.D saw this, he would be pleased :lol:

Re: Dark Tartarus V5

Sat May 16, 2015 12:39 pm

i jammed my finger from clicking the download link so hard.

I have mixed experiences with urban maps.
dont make me regret it!



played it for a minute.

the maps are amazing. but there is waaaayyyy too much going on for me. its a personal taste thing, i hate slaughtermaps...and that was just madness. good work though, just not for me.