jDoom

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:12 am

Does anybody know the link to download jDoom, jHeretic and jHexen. It's weird to ask, but I want to collect all source ports and add it to Doom Launcher

Re: jDoom

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:17 am

They are collectively a part of the same program, Doomsday Engine.

Re: jDoom

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:01 pm

HeYaSTIC wrote:Does anybody know the link to download jDoom, jHeretic and jHexen. It's weird to ask, but I want to collect all source ports and add it to Doom Launcher

The current iterations of those are formed under the DoomsDay Engine and are plugins.

They used to be separate ports. Before they went plug-in only, SkyJake would release a standalone version and a plug-in one, but the plug-in was merely a wrapper and not an actual plug-in as it is today. The wrapper could still act semi-standalone and carried the mainline Doomsday version number, but the J-Port wrapper would carry a different version number. This is all DoomsDay 1. After that, DoomsDay 2 came along and made Doom/Hexen/Heretic be part of a module. This is how its done today.

All in all pretty confusing.

As such, there are 4 versions of J-Ports:
* Standalone (These cover from 1999 to around 2002 or so)
* Intermediate Wrapper (2003-2004, carrying intermediate version numbers independent of the mainline Doomsday port)
* Full plug-in (2004/2005)
* Module (Part of Doomsday 2)

JDoom was the eye-candy port of its day, but it was limited to Vanilla. Eventually, people wanted more support (resulting in Boomsday/JBoom and Risen3D) or more extensive moddability, of which ZDoom and then GZDoom took over.

wildweasel wrote:They are collectively a part of the same program, Doomsday Engine.

It depends on what the OP is requesting. Doomsday history is pretty convoluted because the wrapper version was occassionally seen as a standalone version even though it was part of the main Doomsday program. This was right after they did release standalone executables.

Rendering wise however, JDoom has remained visually very similar to current-day Doomsday 2.

Personally, i prefer the standalone and wrapper variants since they provide a lot of visual eye-candy for low end machines.