What happened to Zandronum?

Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:42 am

Everywhere I look, zandronum is recommended as the best way to play online doom, and seeing how horrendous gzdoom netplay is I can see that. However, Zandronum hasn't been updated since 2017. What happened? Is it considered done? Was it abandoned? It would be nice to have a version of zandronum that supported more recent gzdoom features.

Re: What happened to Zandronum?

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 am

Long story short, GZDoom made a lot of fundamental changes to its code that made it increasingly difficult for the Zandronum to backport it to their version. After that I think the maintainers of Zandronum got burnt out and here we are.

This is my take on it of course - you should ask the Zand devs directly if you want to know exactly why development halted like it did.

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 am

Albert Blosslewore wrote:and seeing how horrendous gzdoom netplay is I can see that

Captured live on stream (Twitch), no edits or cuts, 3-and-a-half hours of uninterrupted netplay across players located in Malaysia, Sweden, Germany and Australia.

Yes, while I do agree that Zandronum's netplay is far more convenient from a player perspective who wants to "just play" (drop-in/drop-out or in-game joining), to say that GZDoom's netplay is "horrible" might be an over-generalization. :mrgreen:

As for why Zandronum's progress is very slow, it all boils down to literally a single developer who decides what code gets added into the engine (despite there actually being several talented coders actively contributing code to it), and said single developer just doesn't have much time to put into Zandronum due to other life commitments, is what I've heard.

There's also the other thing that dpJudas said - Zandronum will never catch up with GZDoom features because the way the engines both work are very different and incompatible with each other. Don't expect Zandronum to one day be able to play GZDoom-specific ZScript-heavy mods. It's just not going to happen.

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:18 am

The last stable version of Zandronum was released in 2019.
I guess it comes down to the way how a project is conducted, how much time can be invested to further along the development cycle.

GZDoom has always had the approach to be open software, which attracted many talented programmers to improve the engine, especially on the renderer side. Input from mappers to suggest/implement new features was welcomed. And, I think, as a major plus for GZDoom, Graf Zahl is himself a game software developer.

The ultimate must to play GZDoom online is that each player must use the exact same version of GZDoom.

Zandronum, on the other hand, to me seems to be more of a closed project, programmed by only one or two programmers. So it would be possible to assume that the lack of progress could be put down to lack of motivation for some reason.