Configure GZDOOM with latest graphics/mod patches

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:21 am

Hey all,

First I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the awesome work with gzdoom and various graphical mods/enhancements. I'm having trouble with a couple of things, and I hoped that someone could help me piece it all together.

What I'd like to do:
1. Run GZDOOM with the latest graphical updates to make it look its best. Options like neural upscale, smooth doom/bmplus_smooth/textures, light maps, Nash's Gore mod, etc. I have trouble finding the latest versions of every single mod, and I'm probably going to have a "duh" moment when someone comments.
2. It's tricky getting the load order correct for mods without causing some errors. I notice that when I start doom up today using 4.6.1 that I get a few errors that gzdoom cannot find xyz items as it loads. It does load successfully and I'm able to play the game, but I'd like to see it launch cleanly.

I created a shortcut and added the following in the target field:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\gzdoom-4-6-1-Windows-64bit\gzdoom.exe -file SIGIL_v1_21.wad SIGIL_SHREDS.wad NeuralUpscale2x_v2.0.pk3 SmoothDoom_SE.pk3 SmoothDoomAddonsNEW.pk3 nashgore.pk3 SB_COMEPLETE_CLEAN.pk3 M_DOOM.pk3 bmplus_smooth.pk3 bmplus_textures.pk3

I cannot seem to make a shortcut load all mods that I'd like to have load when I launch the game. I also probably have these in the wrong order. Sorry if these are noob questions, and thank you for any help.

Re: Configure GZDOOM with latest graphics/mod patches

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:41 pm

The easiest solution to loading all pwads you want to include is by using a launcher,
such as ZDL or a variant thereof. Or, maybe, a fullfledged launcher like
Hakros Doom Launcher v.1.6

The next best solution is by creating a batch file (xyz.bat) and specify all pwads including their correct path.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:56 pm

Okay, so I would create the shortcut and make it something like this instead: C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\gzdoom-4-6-1-Windows-64bit\gzdoom.exe -file BatchFile.bat

Where the bat file contains all the pwads (I had to look up what that meant) and files that I want to load, correct?

My last question is about struggling to find the latest version of pwads, such as smooth doom, nashgore, neural upscale, etc. Is there a page which has the latest versions of these common pwads?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:51 pm

No. A batch file tells your operating system (Windows in this case) to execute a command. In your batch file, you would have:

Code:
"C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\gzdoom-4-6-1-Windows-64bit\gzdoom.exe" -file "C:\PATHTOFILE\MODNAME.pk3" "C:\PATHTOFILE\map.wad"

It'll launch GZDoom with the files you wish to use.

Windows uses what's known as "working directories". Wherever you launch a batch file, it is working from that directory rather than the directory you're calling GZDoom from. So if you have your mods in GZDoom's directory, you'll either want to have the batch file "move" to that directory, or define where exactly the mods are. As the example given above.

If you wish to tell the batch file to "move" to that directory:

Code:
C:
cd "Users\USERNAME\Desktop\gzdoom-4-6-1-Windows-64bit"
gzdoom.exe -file MODNAME.pk3 "C:\PATHTOFILE\SOMEWHEREELSE\map.wad"

--

You wish to know where to find these common mods. Please check out our Projects section. Smooth Doom for an example, is under Gameplay Mods. Nash's Gore is under Graphic/Audio Patches. Use the search feature located in the upper right hand corner of the ZDoom forums to find the others. :)

Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 pm

Thank you for the help. I created a batch file and the game seems to load with most mods working. However, I noticed many errors in the console and created a log file in hopes that someone could help me with these errors. The log file is attached.

Code:
C:
cd "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\gzdoom-4-6-1-Windows-64bit"
gzdoom.exe -file NeuralUpscale2x_v2.0.pk3 NeuralUpscale2x_Smooth_Weapons.pk3 SmoothDoom_Pallete.pk3 M_DOOM-Animated-Classic.pk3 bmplus_smooth.pk3 bmplus_textures.pk3 SIGIL_v1_21.wad SIGIL_SHREDS.wad nashgore.pk3 +logfile DOOMLOG-Forum.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:32 am

From what I can see, those errors are just warnings that certain elements don't exist or the modders are using incorrect practices. This shouldn't affect the gameplay. You should be good to go.