What can GZDoom do with intermission screens?

Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:26 pm

What kind of options does GZDoom have for making custom intermission screen stuff?
Like how in the OG Doom there was that map screen that would show "you are here" and put splats over the levels you have beaten. I wouldn't be surprised if GZDoom let me customize things like where the graphics appear, and maybe even make changes to the screen like how the tower was built.
But I was thinking, what if I wanted to make some major changes? Like, what if I wanted to turn it into a map select screen? What if I wanted a larger map area I could scroll around it? What if I wanted animated stuff on the map? What if I wanted to be able to access that screen in the middle of a level, or between levels in a hub map?
Shoot, what if I wanted to throw the whole thing out and build my own 2D display to do... I don't know, whatever I want. Just what are my limits?

Re: What can GZDoom do with intermission screens?

Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:21 am

Just suggesting, try a Map Intermission instead a Intermission screen and you can do whatever you want.

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:01 pm

Well, you can do custom intermaps like Doom's and Heretic's -- this has been in for a long, long time. See intermission script.

More recently, with ZScript, it has become possible to do a whole lot more. But it's more complex.

But it's also possible to do as Logan said and make a map intermission, like in KDiZD.

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:29 pm

Gez wrote:More recently, with ZScript, it has become possible to do a whole lot more. But it's more complex.

Well, it should go without saying that an option that can do a whole lot more is going to be more complex.
Maybe I should ask: what is possible with ZScript? What isn't possible? (And are there any other relevant options that might be easier even if not as robust?)

I haven't seen many mods that have tried to do map/intermission stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if scripts are more focused on changing what can happen within the maps, so perhaps there are not so many options for what can happen between them.

Gez wrote:But it's also possible to do as Logan said and make a map intermission, like in KDiZD.

I looked up some videos. That's a pretty sweet intermission sequence.
Still, I was thinking more along 2D stuff. Not just text, but manipulating 2D graphics. Like maybe something like this: https://youtu.be/jd7P7niYimk?t=546 That covers basically every 2D manipulation I could possibly want.
The only other things I could ask about are adding player interactivity, like if I wanted to be able to click on what level to go to next, or maybe displaying such a sequence at an arbitrary point within a level (like a cutscene.)

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:31 am

Well, keep in mind that the menus are drawn in ZScript, the automap is drawn in ZScript, the regular intermission is drawn in ZScript, and more. Then you have third-party resources like ZForms. Most of the interface in Raze is also drawn in ZScript, and since the backends are kept in sync, what's possible in Raze is possible in GZDoom (and vice-versa as long as you remain only in the UI domains).

You should be able to override the intermission and write your own code in there.

However, I can't really help you more than that, I'm not at all an expert on the ZScript side of things.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:41 am

That Castlevania intermission is nothing but a map + Hudmessages. Try Map Intermission. You just need creativity.